1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Rockets-Warriors trade

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ElGrandeQueso, May 30, 2002.

1. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

What do y'all think about a potential Rockets-Warriors trade where we send the #1, #15 and Mo Taylor to Golden State for the #3, their #1 picks in 2003 and 2004, and Antawn Jamison. It sounds like a lot but consider that Orlando traded #1 Chris Webber to Golden State for #3 Penny Hardaway and THREE first rounders. Any thoughts?

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Thats a joke right?

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It would be a very bad deal for the Rockets.

4. DontMessWithTX

What a great deal for the Warriors. They could get rid of some unwanted bagage. Twan Jamison is on a 6-year $90 million contract.

5. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

Let me get this straight. You guys would rather have Yao Ming and his baggage, a probable failure(#15), and Mo "The Fat" Taylor than Antawn Jamison, Mike Dunleavy or Caron Butler, and two future likely lottery picks? Jamison is twice the player that Taylor is(not literally, of course, he would be half) and he only counts a couple more mil against the cap.

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Its horrible for the Warriors. Taking on Mo Taylor for their best player.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If it sounds like such a gooddeal for the Warriors to get the number 1 and draft Ming, why wouldn't we want to keep him ourselves? I mean we had the weakest worse producing frontcourts in the West, yet we want to give away Ming. I for one oppose any deal that would potentially makeany team in the west stronger. I mean the 15,Thomas and a future 1st rounder for Odom wouldn't really make them that much better or Thomas and the 15th to move to the 8th or 12t really wouldn't either, but beyond that, I'm not building up a conference foe. You don't see Intel discussing future processors with AMD do you? Maybe UT and A&M should discuss players they lik and the process they're going through.

8. ESource

ESource Member

NEVER trade away a 7-5 center w/ skills and athlethicism! Yeah he needs more weight and strength;, so put him on a strength regimen! Too many entities the Rockets would have to go through? HOGWASH! The Chinese Govt. is the ONLY entity we have to worry about! If they give their approval, those others(i.e. Shanghai Sharks, Chinese Basketball Assoc., etc.) will be POWERLESS to stop it no matter what they are saying!!! Communist country where the government controls EVERYTHING remember?! No way would I trade Ming unless a Garnett, McGrady or a Kobe is involved!

9. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

I have a feeling the Warriors would be taking Jay Williams, not Yao Ming. Tha Warriors already are stockpiled with big men, and while Jason Richardson and Yao Ming is scary, Jay Williams and Jason Richardson is frightening. Also, is it really a shoe in that the Bulls would take Ming if Williams went first? He wouldn't seem to fit their needs with future center Eddy Curry and power forward Tyson Chandler. It would make more sense for the Bulls to take Mike Dunleavy, someone else who they reportedly covet. That's just something to chew on though, trading the one and picking Ming at 3.

#9 ElGrandeQueso, May 30, 2002
    Last edited: May 30, 2002
  10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What leebigez said plus...

1) It's against the CBA to trade your #1 pick in two successive drafts.

2)
    JAMISON -- 6 YEARS @ 66.0M
    MoT--------- 5 YEARS @ 42.3M

3)
    JAMISON > 19.5 ppg on 44.6% / 7.6 rpg / 1.8 apg / .41 bpg
    TAYLOR > 14.3 ppg on 47.2% / 5.3 rpg / 1.3 apg / .63 bpg

And for this we are going to give up a potentially revolutionary player at the rookie scale price for 4 years and to a team in the same conference?

#10 GATER, May 30, 2002
  11. ESource

ESource Member

Jay Williams is a good player, no doubt, BUT the Warriors would still be a very small team w/ him. I think they take Ming becuz of the large Asian population in the Bay Area. Think of all the marketing opportunities that frachise would get access to?! Plus, Ming has skills and just needs time to gain strength and weight. I mean, he's around 285-295 lbs., right? Yet he still has room to grow! No way is he even close to Shawn Bradley; I don't think Bradley has ever cracked 260 lbs.! BUT Ming is already that big at only 21 years old.....

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>1) It's against the CBA to trade your #1 pick in two successive drafts. </i>

That's not exactly how the rule works. The Stepien Rule says that you can't trade away a first round pick if it would cause you to have no first round picks in any two consecutive future drafts.

You only have to have a first round pick, it doesn't have to be your own.

Also, the rule only applies to future drafts. So, if you trade your pick this year, then as soon as the draft ends, you would then be able to trade your next years pick (since the just completed draft is no longer a future draft).

So, in the case of the Warriors, if they had another first rounder in either of those years, then they could trade their pick.

13. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

There is NO way the Warriors would take Ming over Williams. Garry St. Jean is said to love him and the team desperately needs a point guard. It's evident that they don't have height problems, either. They led the league in rebounding last year and were 2nd in 2001. Also, an interesting fact about rebounding. In 2001, Detroit was first in rebounding at 45.5 a game. Last year they were DEAD LAST. That pretty much tells everything there is to know about that stat. They went from first at rebounding and 32-50 to last and 50-32. Amazing.

#13 ElGrandeQueso, May 31, 2002
  14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The operative word being "if" they had other first rounders in 2003 AND 2004. The only thing I was able to find was Philly owes GS a condtional 1st thru 2005 for Derrick Coleman (?).

Then again, if I were the Rockets and I was about to get screwed like this, I'd stipulate they have to be the Warriors and not conveyed. :cool:

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Yes, and this improvement had nothing to do with the emergence of Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins, the new-found generosity of Jerry Stackhouse, or the acquisition of Clifford Robinson.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Man thats a steal for the Rockets. We would get an All Star type player in Jamison the #3 in which we can take Gooden or Butler and then you will have the chance to get Labron James in next year's draft. I would do that in a second.

17. Live

Live Member

You're selling snake oil, homey!

Jamison - nice, productive, limited player. Another in a long line of players with nice stats, but little success. Doesn't make his teammates better.

And as far as 2 'potential', or as you say 'probable', future lotto picks, the operative word is 'potential.' Truth is, the Warriors already have some nice individual talent, and adding Williams would just round out their roster. A Richardson\Williams backcourt could be the best in the league in a year or 2, and the Warriors can crash the boards. That alone may be enough to make the Warriors a consistent playoff team, i.e. those 'potential' lotto picks become real average real fast.

Now how does that benefit the Rockets?

Another case of, '...well if it's so bad, why do you want it?'

Nice try, though!

#17 Live, May 31, 2002
    Last edited: May 31, 2002
  18. SlamN

SlamN Member

Jamison is overrated. He is undersized at PF and gets his numbers because he jacks up a lot of shots and is the man (or was before Winters) at G State. Give Mo a chance. Although a trade with G State would be nice, they have a lot of young talent, just a sorry coach.