1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible buyout candidates that Rockets could use MLE on later

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jul 14, 2015.

1. basketballholic

Figured I'd start a thread of possible buyout candidates (similar to Josh Smith last season), that may be bought out and signable for our MLE if we keep it for when this happens. Here's my list:

1. Amir Johnson - just signed a 2/24 contract with Boston with only this next season guaranteed. That contract is trade-able for longer term money or they could buy him out for $7 million if they don't trade him by the deadline and then he could make up most of his buyout with a MLE signing.

2. Joe Johnson - a nice $19 million buyout would basically take the Nets out of the luxury tax. That's huge for them. And then he could go to the team of his choosing for the MLE. I think we'd be interested there.

3. Danilo Gallinari - could be bought out and save Denver several million $$ if they don't have a trade market for him.

4. Ty Lawson - Yeah, I know it's hard to believe. But Lawson is much more likely to get bought out than traded. Probably some time later in the summer. Morey would be interested if we could sign him for the MLE or part of the MLE.

Others?

#1 basketballholic, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  2. malakas

malakas Member

Absurd. Thats my comment. The only one with a remote chance to get bought out is jj and lebron is after him.

3. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Amir and Italian Stallion aren't getting bought out. It's like saying Ariza gets bought out. They can find a trade partner for Italian Stallion. The guy who had two 40 point games last season and multiple 20 point games.

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

where's our point gawd?

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I wouldn't mind Johnson but we have Thornton now and we need a point guard.

6. malakas

malakas Member

I know. The first post is just crazy. I know bballholic makes some far fetched scenarios but these don't have any logic. Or else please explain bballholic.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

All indications from BKN reporters are that the Nets achieved their goal with the DWill buyout. Now they can remain competitive without worrying about the enormous tax bill.

In other words, Iso Joe will stay put

8. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Johnson is a good player, too. Just extremely over paid. You don't have draft picks. Win games, continue to make the playoffs and try to be a respectable team. Johnson expires and re-sign him to a decent deal using bird rights or let him walk.

But to be fair, this is outside looking in view. I'm not sure how Nets fans feel. They may want to go with a youth approach. Either way, I think paying Johnson for the rest of the season is what they should do.

Good thread, but bad options I think. I don't think anyone of that caliber is going to bought out. Remember, when Morey heard that Smith was stretched he didn't believe it.

Can't think of many rotation players getting stretched or bought out to be honest

9. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Really? They are buying him out??? They just signed him.. this is absurd.

10. MistaK

MistaK Member

The players you listed make no sense whatsoever OP.

Amir Johnson: He just signed his new contract. The second year is NOT guaranteed, which allows the Celtics to remain flexible as is. Given that his contract is NOT guaranteed next year, he should be easy enough to trade, if the Celtics choose to do so (although I doubt it). No way he gets bought out!!! Also Ainge is not an idiot!!

JJ: Yeah the Nets were looking to trade him, buy him out, etc...but with Williams gone, they have done enough to limit their tax hit somewhat. If they still choose to get rid of JJ, I'm pretty sure he is going to CLE anyway (LeBron needs a super supporting cast - otherwise he won't win another ring), so he is not going to be someone we can use our MLE on.

11. malakas

malakas Member

oh yeah .Just saw that now Brooklyn is under the tax and plan to trim it more to get 2 mil under. So take out JJ from that list too.

12. basketballholic

Yeah, a lot of those situations seem to come out of nowhere. Who do you think is a buyout possibility?

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Another terrible one star _holic thread. I shouldn't even be here. I'm out.

14. malakas

malakas Member

that's a nice thread.
    We will have to see what happens but I think the no.1 should be Rondo.
    Also Tyson Chandler and Wesley Matthews, but not now, in a few years. But the way has been paved for them to become huge albatross.

Depending on what happens with Marcus Morris him too.
    Varejao and Pekovic should/will be bought out, but not neccesarilly next season.

15. basketballholic

No. I did not say they were buying them out Ivan. Slooooooow down and comprehend. This is possible buyout candidates. And I'm not talking tomorrow. Especially in Amir's case.

Yes, Amir would appear to have trade value. But he's also a buyout candidate. He could be bought out at some point as part of a larger or different trade. Let's say somebody wants another player and they want Amir but they don't have salary to match. Hypothetically, a playoff contender has some smaller contracts that they're willing to give up for Amir and another youngster from Boston. But it's not enough salary to trade for Amir. So they could cut a deal where Boston buys out Amir and they sign Amir with their MLE and also make the smaller trade with their youngster/smaller contract for a smaller contract from Boston.

That's why I listed him as a possible buyout candidate. Because Amir is signed to a deal that looks to be specifically designed to trade, either later on this season or next summer.

Name some others.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'd could see Joe Johnson or Galinari. Definitely not Amir.

David Lee is a possibility if Boston's season heads south.

Pekovic's minutes will continue to dwindle and it will be difficult to move him, even in the higher cap world we live in today. I could see Minnesota and him agree to a mutually beneficial buyout.

17. basketballholic

5. Jose Calderon - He's definitely a candidate for a buyout...and maybe even a minimum salary signing.

6. Brandon Jennings - same as Jose.

18. malakas

malakas Member

I can't comprehend why would Boston buy out amir johnson even with your explanation. His contract is a perfect trade chip and doesn't need buying out.

19. malakas

malakas Member

why would Gallo be bought out? He is EXPIRING. He is healthy again and he is beeing shoped. There is exactly 0% reason for the Nuggets to buy him out and give him away for free.

20. basketballholic

7. Gerald Wallace - probably doesn't have much if anything left in the tank but if GS needs a boost later before the deadline, they may be able to buy him out and save another $5 million in salary plus another $15 million or so in luxury tax savings in connection with a trade they may generate using other players. This could be a buyout deal along the lines of what I described with Amir except Wallace would be a cost of doing business for the team making the trade with GS and then signing Wallace to a MLE deal to make up for his lost wages for agreeing to a buyout.