1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Posey gone....it's offical

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsfan03, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Rocketsfan03

Rocketsfan03 Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2039064

The Rockets let the clock run out on their option to keep small forward James Posey on Friday, choosing to let him jump to the Grizzlies rather than match Memphis' four-year, $24 million offer.

No announcements were made. But the Rockets allowed Friday's 5 p.m. deadline to pass without matching the offer sheet.

The Rockets signed small forward Adrian Griffin on Thursday and guard/small forward Eric Piatkowski less than a week after Posey, a restricted free agent, signed his offer sheet.

Posey, 26, averaged 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds in 58 games with the Rockets last season, hitting 43.9 percent of his field-goal attempts.

The addition of Griffin and Piatkowski to forwards Glen Rice and Bostjan Nachbar left little incentive for the Rockets to retain Posey at that price, particularly with the Rockets' payroll next season expected to trigger a luxury tax.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said he considered Griffin and Piatkowski valuable additions to the Rockets' roster, rather than replacements for Posey, but said he was happy with the changes.

"I don't even want to compare them," Dawson said. "I'm just very happy to have those two guys. You're always looking for ways to help your team. I think they will help our team."

The Rockets have just 11 players under contract and likely will look to add another reserve point guard, a physical backup forward/center or both.

Dawson would not discuss the team's priorities other than to land the best players he can. He said no other moves are imminent.

"We still have some work to do, but I think it's coming along pretty well," Dawson said. "We'll just try to find somebody that can help the team. We're talking over some things, and we'll see what we can do."

question is..who will fil out the rest of the roster?

2. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

The Rockets have just 11 players under contract and likely will look to add another reserve point guard, a physical backup forward/center or both.

Any thoughts as to whom?

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

cmiller, I'm thinking Derick Coleman could be had for that 2.5 million exception. He'd be a hell of an addition.

and maybe Mark Jackson or Travis Best could go for the lower exception.

just a thought.

4. cmiller

Sounds like CD will be looking to beef up the bench. Definately something we've lacked for a number of years! Let's get going, theres still some good pick ups out there.

5. Rocketsfan03

Rocketsfan03 Member

coleman already re-signed for sixers

i'm guessing kenny anderson or travis best..and for the forward maybe tyrone hill or popeye jones

6. cmiller

Texas Stoke- Mark Jackson or Travis Best definately! I'm just not a Derrick Coleman fan, never have been.

7. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Kenny Anderson

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The only way we can add 2 other players for the final 12 is by cutting a player from the team possibly Moochie and then replacing him with another PG. Popeye Jones has been injured too much to be of any use to us. I would personally add a PG rather than a reserve 4 even though we need help in both positions.
    Kenny Anderson is a good reserve PG but he can't fit with both Francis and Moochie that's why I think Mark Jackson can be a better fit as a third PG who can coach and guide Steve and Moochie.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Brunson and/or Ward (if/when bought out by Knicks) &/or Parks.

10. Texas Stoke

is Jon Barry still out there? I'm always down to add a Barry boy.

11. Texas Stoke

I like Kenny Anderson. suprisingly the Celtics really seemed to miss his point guard leadership skills. dude knows how to direct an offense it seems, if he still has it he would be a good fit because he had to direct an offense that had 2 of the all time shot heavers in Pierce and Walker, so maybe the Rockets should make a strong sales pitch to Kenny.

12. Wolfhound

Wolfhound Member

How about Jacque Vaughn maybe he learned a few things playing behind Stockton for four years??? Anderson,M. Jackson, Hardaway, and Strickland are also available at the point. PF/C....M. Bryant,T. Hill, Popeye, G. Trent, Kemp, Stepania...my pick would be either Stepania or Hill. Maybe give Kemp a shot??

13. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

I'm a big Mark Jackson fan, mainly because I've been told that my game is fashioned somewhat after his. Pretty sad eh? In any case, I think he would be a perfect veteran for our team: a pure point guard to take Stevie under his wing, playoff experience, practically another coach on the bench...I really hope we can pick him up.

Popeye Jones is also a good fit. He's always been a hard worker grabbing boards under the basket, and his experience and work ethic would be great for our team. Plus, I've always liked the way his face looks. It always brings a smile to my face. :D

14. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

hehe, standing next to him makes you look like brad pitt.

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>The only way we can add 2 other players for the final 12 is by cutting a player from the team possibly Moochie and then replacing him with another PG</i>

Not true. Somebody will develop an injury and start the season on IR. Didn't we start the season with 15 players last season? 12 on the active roster and 3 on IR.

16. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

Yeah, but I look like Brad Pitt no matter what! Actually even better.

Ok j/k.

Anyway, as for the other players mentioned earlier: I would also like having DC, but I think he'll be signed for slightly more than we can afford. And I've never really liked Travis Best that much, maybe because he almost single-handedly ruined my Yahoo fantasy team last year. I used to love Kenny Anderson, but he's been regarded as more of a shoot-first player in the past few years, right? If I'm not mistaken, he had some trouble dishing out more than...five assists as pg on a team with Pierce and Walker a couple years back. I would rather have Mark Jackson.

17. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

:mad:

Bye Posey. It was nice having your fan club while it lasted.... :(

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It could be a blessing in disguise since there are still options regarding other player transactions.

19. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

Might vote is for Jacque Vaugn. He's a good backup PG who is fundamentally sound, PASSES, smart, understands the game, PASSES, and groomed by John Stockton. He's young, and can grow with our squad.

Brunson and JVG have some history...I'd be okay with that.

What about bringing back Tierre Brown?

Jon Barry is going to the Pacers....and we're 'stacked' (i use this word very loosely) at SG.

Tim Hardaway and Mark Jackson would be okay, but I'd rather have a younger backup to grow with the team...

Derrick Coleman signed with the sixers.

Travis Best, Rod Strickland, and Keny Anderson are all still available, and would be great backup PGs...

I'm not a big Gary Trent fan. He's a poor man's MoT.

Popeye Jones is brutal - looks and game. Between Popeye, Hawk, and Mooch, the rocks could make a push for the ugliest team in the league...You heard it here 1st.

Stepania would be a decent pickup, but when would he play??? We already have 2 more-capable 7-footers...Plus, it surprises me that noone has made a run at this guy - considering that many teams with money need a C.

20. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

I don't think Popeye's game is that brutal. If I'm not mistaken, he averaged 7-10 rbs per game maybe five or six years ago. And I think before that he was a fairly consistent double-double man.

But I can't argue with his face. The Rockets are indeed extremely ugly already, and adding Popeye to the mix would just make us exponentially worse.