1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland Fans Still Delusional RE: Oden vs. Durant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Baqui99, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Ok, so I work with a fair amount of folks in Portland. Naturally I try to steer the conversation around basketball when there's free time before and between meetings, calls, etc. One thing that's apparent here is that no matter how poorly Greg Oden plays they seemingly give the guy a free pass. It's as if he's above any sort of criticism. Nevermind the fact that over the last 3 games he's posted the following numbers:

10 points
    11 boards
    1 block
    16 fouls

The guy is a fouling machine and looks completely lost out there. He'll go in the game pick up a couple of quick fouls, sit for 10 minutes, go in again and pick up two more, then get his 5th later. Anyone see his attempt to spin on Yao last night only to got ripped immediately? Meanwhile, as a Horn fan, I always ask about Kevin Durant, and it's the same BS denial:

"We needed a center"
    "Oden's so athletic!"
    "Durant's a ballhog and shoots too much"
    "Durant doesn't play any defense"
    "Guys like Durant are a dime a dozen"

Anyone who saw Durant dominate at Texas could have told the Blazers' brass that he was the right pick. Hell, I tried telling them back in '07 that taking Oden over KD would be a huge mistake, and they thought I was being a homer. At what point do they realize that passing on Kevin Durant was a colossal mistake and may have cost them the chance at being a very special team?

If Portland had Durant, they could have caused us some serious problems in this series. Trying to slow down him, Roy, and Aldridge at the same time would've been a nightmare. Meanwhile, they're left with a fragile, foul-prone, unskilled big man. Sam Bowie Part II.

2. Super Von

Super Von Member

Durant is a ballhog and he does shoot too much.

Besides Durant went first, Portland had to take Oden.

He is a bum though.

3. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I would trade Tmac for Oden + others.

4. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I don't agree, I mean a guy is still to young to put him as Sam Bowie.

Sure he had bad luck but I wouldn't write him off yet.

And let's not forget that his first postseason duel is with arguably the best center on planet right now, Yao.

I guess Durant would have made Blazers immediately better but Oden is a long term project and centers usually take some time to develop.

I guess a lot of people regretted drafting Yao in his first year or so but as the time passed they saw a glimpse of a star in him.

5. Super Von

Super Von Member

Nevermind Im a fool. Yeah they messed up. But Roy + Durant? Not sure if that would work.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Portland had the first pick and took Oden.

7. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

2 flaws
    Durant went 2nd, portland had #1 pick.

Second, Durant is a ballhog but he makes the shot at least and has developed at a rate much faster than Oden

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

Portland had the 1st pick and they took Oden.

9. Super Von

Super Von Member

Quote.

10. lalala902102001

None of your statements are true.

Durant does not shoot too much. And Oden was taken No. 1. The Blazers had a choice to take Durant, but they already had Roy. Does this remind you of something?

11. Super Von

Super Von Member

There is talent on the Thunder, you wouldnt know it tho with Durant shooting 25+ times a game.

12. Super Von

Super Von Member

Obviously Durant > Oden and its not even close. Just saying.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Durant is anything but a "ball hog." He's a natural scorer and he shot 48% from the field, which is ridiculous for a 20-year old on a terrible team. He also shot over 42% from 3 point land.

A "ball hog" would be someone like McGrady who shoots at a sub 38% clip and continues to jack up garbage regardless of the situation.

14. lastmanstanding

Give Oden time. Durant has one more year over him and during Durant's first year, I only saw a pretty low efficiency chucker, and look where he's at now.

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

There's no question that Durant is the much better player right now and may ultimately be better. But his opportunity for development and Oden's were polar opposite. Durant was given the keys to the car and ample opportunity to drive from the beginning. Anyone getting that many touches as the go-to guy would develop quickly.

Conversely, Oden sat out his entire rookie season with an injury and has to try to develop on a team trying to contend. That's just tough. Before this year, the Rockets almost never developed any meaningful players (outside of Yao) in their hopes of making the playoffs every year. Plus Oden's team already has two budding stars: Roy and Aldridge plus several other talented players. When you also factor in that big men just take longer to develop, Oden really is at a substantial disadvantage when comparing early development.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take Durant over Oden, but direct comparisons at this point are obviously going to be one sided.

Another thing to consider is that, Oden could develop into the only good, real big man other than Dwight Howard. That could be a real advantage to the Blazers later. Although the counter point is of course that Durant is looking fairly unique too.

16. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

This is a Portland thread, it should be posted in their fan site or in the NBA threads

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i agree durant was the better pick. However, it wasn't as clear-cut as you make it sound back then. Durant's 1st year wasn't even close to as good as his 2nd. He made a great leap, and they don't all do what he did.

gotta give oden time.

a) we've all seen so many bigs take longer to develop

b) he just finished his first year. He's not as good as Durant was last year, but if he makes the same caliber of leap that Durant made between years 1 and 2, Oden will be very solid. Never gonna be in Durant's stratosphere in my opinion, but he could still turn out to be very good. 1 freakin year in college and 1 in the NBA (limited by injuries and foul trouble, as is sometimes the case with bigs)

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

what he said, too

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If we are looking back then what they should have done is draft Durant then traded him and Lafrentz for a stud in the post or a PG.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

We should all thank God that those morons took Oden. He has no offensive game whatsover, and his only defense consists of hacking Yao.