1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Popeye 3:16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jun 2, 2000.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ok, I understand everything now. Was that black shrouds and NIKEs comment suppose to be a pun towards me? [​IMG]

This things was blown way out of proportion, and should've died 2 days ago.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

2. today

today Contributing Member

Clutch,
    Just wanted to make sure that you have seen my reply to you in your "The Rockets can not sign Cuttino until August 1st" thread. If you haven't please go read it.

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight." -- Barkley on Pheonix Sun Chris Carr(...I think) after he missed a game winning free-throw.

3. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Clutch, I'll keep this short. I don't think you did anything wrong, unless it was behind the scenes, which I don't think happened either. Newspapers and televisions give disclaimers on editorial comments and submissions. If you felt it necessary to post a disclaimer to an editorial submission, no problem. You apparently didn't feel it was bad enough to delete the thread, although I certainly feel you have the right to do so. I think both you and Popeye are sensitive to criticism in this situation. That is human nature. I truly hope Popeye will come back to the BBS. I hope you don't view this as a him vs. me situation. I truly appreciate what you've done providing this site.

------------------

4. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Clutch,
    I for one appreciate your honesty in trying to clear up this mess. I know it has probably been very difficult for you to deal with. When I saw all that has gone on regarding the Popeye post I was in shock.

I appreciate your honesty in providing all the details that went on behind the scenes. This post has provided me the necessary information I needed to put this issue to rest.

Thanks Clutch. Stay cool!

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

NIKE -- no, not a shot at you [​IMG]

today -- I read them just now. Thanks for the comments. I don't want to paint a picture of this being popeye's fault... I realized my silence and even a few words painted that picture. I am upset he left as he did but hope he returns.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

6. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Clutch,

We're a very large collection of ragtag fans

Just out of curiosity, how big are we?

------------------
    re: Conspiracy Theory #124 - Clutch, register ClutchCity.CC before it's too late!

7. IA Rocket

IA Rocket Contributing Member

Clutch

I apologize for the comment about the deletion of Popeye's original post. I was outraged after reading in other posts that the original post had been removed. Rather than checking to see if it had been removed, I assumed (wrongly) that it had been deleted.

This site is so popular because of all the varied and knowledgeable opinions and facts that are posted. It seemed to me that "sources/Rocket Organization" were having more influence on this site than they should. I think the following quote squelched my concern about going mainsteam.

Quote from Clutch in this thread
    -------------------------------------------
    We have zero interest in being mainstream media or a lackey for the Rockets. We take pride in being able to say Cuttino Mobley sucked last night or Kenny Thomas should have just kept his ass on the bench --
    -------------------------------------------

I despise the NBA propaganda machine that has tried to create the next Michael Jordan 4 or 5 times since Jordan retired. The NBC telecasts just plain suck most of the time. It's Kobe this or Kobe that. The halftime player profiles resemble resemble a males version of a soap opera. It's all touchy-feelly and emotional, but no substance. It would kill me if this site under influence from those "sources" became too mainsteam and accomodating to the special "sources" interest.

Quotes such as the following really scare me in where this site could go.

Quote from Jeff in the Debunking Spinach and Other Vicious Vegetables
    --------------------------------------------
    As for the BBS being like Russia or China, give me a freakin' break! No one ever said this was a place where free speech ruled
    ---------------------------------------------

Hopefully some good will come out of all this and everyone can move on.

Thanks for clarifying what happened Clutch.

------------------
    Tomorrows "approved" BBS topic...What the Rocket Players bought their Mom's for Mothers Day.

8. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I posted that. I know you know that, but just for the posters who don't feel like searching for the comment.

Now, as for knowing "the difference between inside dirt on legal rumors and something highly illegal", I thought I made it clear in the post you took the comment from that I did understand the difference.

I wasn't trying "to show contradiction, hypocrisy, whatever", nor was I trying to take a shot at you - Clutch, or CC.NET, or anyone else. I was simply trying to point out that just because someone says something, that doesn't make it true.

I also "understand" that popeye (why does everyone keep capitalizing his username?) left the BBS. He was not forced off, and I never thought he was. I too thought it was a mistake for him to leave.

------------------
    I have a dream.........popeye comes back to the BBS.

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited June 02, 2000).]

9. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

Clutch - just to let you know I'm one of those that really appreciate what you are doing here for rock fans.

I like the way you're handling this situation in a professional manner and should be commended highly for it.

It is unfortunate for Popeye to leave, I hope it's just a knee-jerk reaction and he would come back soon as he is arguably one of the best posters and considered family.

I don't post much here but always come in to read the posts as much as I can.

I hope this turn of events will in no way diminish the quality of this board.

Okay - I said my piece... let's all move on.

------------------

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

IA: My point in discussing the free speech issues of this BBS was to point out that this is a privately maintained site. Freedom here, like anywhere else, is balanced with responsibility. The difference here is that cc.net is responsible for the posts on its BBS. Anyone can post here anonomysly, but cc.net must answer for it whether we like it or not.

This isn't some iron-fisted regime but it isn't public access either. In all fairness, the BBS is provided and maintained for free. I have never, in all my years of association with Clutch, seen any instance of rebuttal, censorship or response from CC.net that wasn't in the best interests of the site and its posters. So, to suddenly think the BBS has turned into some draconian society is blowing things way out of proportion.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Not doggin you in any way, Clutch. I think the whole incident was just plain "unfortunate," and I my first instinct is to say, "Let's all chill out, have a few cold ones, blow this off, and get on with the fun." I hate confrontation, and I always try to play the peacemaker. (That's Robert speaking, not Pole)

But in defense of DREAMer, my first impulse when I saw his "Stoudamire IS a Rocket" line was that he was trying to show that not all rumours are true. I thought he was trying to smooth things over, not incite anything. Sure, he was disagreeing with Jeff, but I think he was trying to make some middle ground for everyone. This has been a jacked up couple of days, and even though you said that you weren't going to let anything "ruin your fun," surely these past few days caused you some consternation. Anyway, I'm not trying to cause anymore strife--I just wanted you to know that I care about your, Popeye's AND DREAMer's feelings and that maybe, just maybe, DREAMer's intentions might have been misconstrued.

Have I told you today how much I love you for creating this site for us.

Peace.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch:

I'll be the new popeye since everyone wants one. Here goes:

I heard from a long distance telephone operator that Tim Duncan has formed an alliance with Grant Hill where they will be treated as one player and sign with the Rockets for one league minimum every year for the rest of their careers. This will be announced Monday.

Oh yeah, you are doing just fine.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Definitely, definitely. DREAMer and Pole are right. I apologize to you, DREAMer, for that. I just used that line as what seemed to me to be the epitome of the thinking that what popeye posted was no different than a Stoudamire/Francis/Pippen/etc. trade scoop. I didn't think it was relevant who posted it. Poor example -- my bad.

Hopefully popeye will return -- we love the guy -- and maybe some day we'll all joke around about The Great Mobley Scoop.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

14. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

Thanks for clearing up the scuttle-butt Clutch -- I appreciate your candor. You really didn't have to comment on this issue, but I'm glad you have. Your silence on this could have been turned against you and the site.

I've been shocked at the events of the last coupla days and haven't posted anything due largely to the fact that I really don't know what the hell was going on. I was crushed when I read popeye's "I will..." post. I wanted to tell him how much I look forward to reading his takes as much as his insider info and tell him how sorely he'll be missed -- but didn't.

Over the last 2 years, I feel like I've come to know popeye. I know him as a sensitive and insightful person and above all -- a diehard Rocket fan. I can't imagine him NOT coming back and posting on this bbs. I know that he will be back. I look forward to all of us clutchcity fanatics putting this whole thing behind us and getting back to "work" -- keeping the Rockets in Houston and speculating on all the crazy scenarios that put future hall of famers in Rocket unis.

I want to thank you again for all of the hard work you and the crew put into this site -- and the important work Jeff is doing with the SOR campaign.

------------------

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Clutch, my respect for that last post. I also hope that Popeye will come back and that there can be a new start. Popeye definitely always made this site better and also, in contrast to many (including myself) he never personally attacked anyone, as far as I can remember, not even jokingly. Maybe it will just take a little while and hopefully he will come back.

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

At first I didn't understand how any harm could come of this. Now I understand Clutch's point of view.

I didn't see the big picture...the legality of it all or the consequences toward the site, its operators or the Rockets organization. I understand Clutch's viewpoint. He has alot at stake here and doesn't want to see it be put in jeopardy. There is alot more to this than we know and more to this than just one person. Don't get me wrong, we will miss Popeye and I would love to see the man reconsider his decision, but life must go on.

Pops, you told me you'll still read posts from time to time. If you are reading this, think about what you are doing. Why did you come to the site in the first place? Information? Enjoyment? Whatever reason, it kept you around for a few years. Don't leave because of one mishap or because of something someone said.

DREAMer, I also took the "Stoudamire is a Rocket" statement for face value in that you meant that just because someone says something doesn't make it a truth. If I recall correctly I was drinking a beer at a bar, playing pool with my dad when ESPN took a sports breaks that January day, proclaiming Damon a Rocket. I was quite disappointed to find out later that this was a false rumor. As much as we enjoyed hearing Pop's latest rumors, we could only take it for face value until something official was announced.

Anyhow, lets all have fun and let Popeye return in his own time. I have a feeling he'll comeback someday because forever is a long time.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

[This message has been edited by RocketsPimp (edited June 02, 2000).]

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

let's all be happy Damon isn't a Rocket, because if he was, then we'd have no Franchise.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

700!!!

Only another 1100 to catch HP the post-a-holic!!

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Pops sent an email stating, and this is a quote, "...it is the best course of action...I cannot post again."

He added, "This decision was made before anyone, including my friend Clutch's post." He went on to say he didn't even get to read Clutch's post until after he had posted the "I Will...." thread. He added that Clutch's post had absolutely NOTHING to do with his decision and his decision had absolutely nothing to do with anyone on the BBS.

He also adds, "It has a lot more implications than anyone would imagine."

I don't think anybody here really knows what those implications are, but we ended up losing IMO the best poster on this board. Whether or not he was accurate, I always enjoyed his presentation.

I hope I'm not going too far with the quoting, but I really don't think he'd mind.

Clutch, trust me... he doesn't seem to hold any ill-will to you or anything. He spoke highly of you. If he didn't respond quickly it's because people are emailing him about this like crazy, and I'm sure he's a busy guy (there's always real life).

Anyway, to summarize, Clutch didn't run him off, HeyPotty didn't run him off, but what ran him off he's keeping to himself.

------------------
    ?

20. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Thanks DoD, not that I feel I (or anyone on the board, save perhaps Clutch) deserved further answers, it is nice you cleared a lot of fuzzyness about the events. Pop knows he is always welcome back if <he/> decides he can do so with it sitting right with him. Might even happen with a different handle, and I don’t just mean “SonOPopeye” [​IMG]

------------------