1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pool Table Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Mar 1, 2013.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Getting a table tomorrow. First time I've ever owned a pool table. We plan on putting it in our formal living room area which is ceramic tile. Should I put the table directly on the tile or should I run out tonight and pick up an area rug to put it on? Just curious if anyone else has had experiences with a pool table on tile...and if it is a bad idea.

Thanks!

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Just a matter of preference and how you want it to look. No downside to either situation. My family has owned a pool table for years now, and when we started out, we used a rug underneath our ceramic tile, but then removed the rug down the line. After we moved, we now have it just on some hardwood flooring.

The biggest recommendation I would make is just make sure you have enough room to actually play. Sounds obvious, but we were foolish and tried to cram it into a room that was just too small to comfortably play in.

Also....not sure if this is a big deal to you, but we strayed from the normal green colored table with solid colored pool balls. Went with marble themed pool balls and a light brown colored table, just to have a little uniqueness.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Don't forget to have sex on it.

4. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

******* pool tables. In high school and college, we all hung out at one buddy’s house mostly. We decided to all chip in a little bit and put a pool table in the living room. We played an insane amount of pool for the first few months, then eventually the pool table was used mainly just as a big table. We ate meals on it, we rolled dice on it, we stored belongings on it, people got drunk and fell asleep on it, we played ping pong on it without a net, but mostly we used it as a poker table.

Oh, to answer your question, get a rug.

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Definitely get a rug. Not just for the table itself, but for any billiard balls that go flying off during play. One of those can crack a tile pretty easily.

6. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I would recommend a rug, also. The pool table may even slide a bit over time (although re-leveling is usually free). It should also help cut down on some of the echo from the pool table. And, I think it looks nicer.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

doesn't matter the surface, just need a good leveled slate leveled to ground. don'rt play as much as i used to but i doubt there are too many on this board that could deal with my game. c*m on at me bras.

8. likestohypeguy

What type of tile- with heavy texture pattern (like bumpy)? Either way.

Seems obvious, but easy to underestimate how much room you actually need. Don't do alternate colors & gimmicky colored balls etc. The novelty will wear off. Just get something high quality or it will suck.

Good points, too many reasons for a rug.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Owned a pool table and had it on directly on tile for a couple of years with no issue.

If your tile was installed incorrectly, it can crack under the weight of a full size pool table, which is over 1000lbs, easily.

I had to pay some professional pool table movers to move it out to my separate man cave. They took it apart then put it back together and leveled it.

I asked them about the toppers you can get to turn the table into a ping pong table and they said that they could ruin your pool table. It's probably ymmv on that- too much weight or improper use/design of the topper.

Never had a ball crack tile and with a little boy constantly bouncing them around there was plenty of opportunity for that. It seems kind of silly to worry about compared to the weight of the table, honestly. and a rug isn't going to catch a good chunk of bouncing balls, anyway. As for echo reduction- if you're worried about noise you shouldn't be playing a game where people cheer when two balls crack together loudly.

The pool table came with my house and like many, after the original novelty wore off it was just a big piece of unused furniture for me. If I were to get another it would be a smaller quarter table that I could move around more easily.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've had two and will never own one again. So fun for the first few months then it just becomes a "throw **** down on it cuz I'm lazy" table.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Yeah, if the tile is installed on uneven flooring there will be space between the floor and the tile and it will crack. I have my pool table in my gameroom directly on the wood flooring and it has not slipped or anything. And ditto everyone else who says to make sure you have plenty of room. I have a good size gameroom and even then on one side I wish I had more space. Or rather, I do have space except when people sit on the stools on that side.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

so true. the novelty wears off quickly.