1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Polls: Occupy Wall Street popular, Tea Party not

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

[​IMG]

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2...-support-occupy-wall-street-oppose-tea-party/
    This explains why what began as a smallish protest by some, frankly, kind of annoying college kids is getting such attention from the right wing talking heads.

Even if most Americans are not "down with the corporations"-types, they seem to like those dirty-hippies/hipsters more than they do the Tea Party-types.

Guess there are more people in the 99% than there are in the 53%.

2. mc mark

mc mark Member

Or a better and more actuate way of looking at it is that the tea party was never really a grassroots movement that had America's interests at heart.

Just a reincarnation of evangelicals (and racists) boosted by the moneyed elite being suckered into promoting an agenda that they really had no vested interest in.

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

Mark, you know I am no raving lunatic conservative, but in my experience, and I have had a lot of it, about as many TEA Partiers are racists as Democrats are Communists. All you do by throwing the r-word out is alienate people who sympathize with the TEA Party ideology. Nobody likes being called a racist and when you throw the term at a group with which they sympathize, they will dig in and you won't sway their opinion.

Just my $0.02.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I think this guy may not mind being call a racist so much...
    [​IMG]

No doubt there are some sincere fiscal conservative Tea Party type who simply believe in an economic analysis that is misguided. I also don't doubt that there are probably relatively few real hard core KKK-type racists out there. However, there is racism and racist dog-whislte underlining a significant amount of the right-wing/Tea Party-type rhetoric. From Limbaugh calling Obama the "Magic Negro" (among other things: http://newsone.com/nation/casey-gane-mccalla/top-10-racist-limbaugh-quotes/) to the whole "blame the 47% moochers" deal (reminds me of the whole "ghetto welfare queen" stuff from the early 90s), to the phobia over American Muslims and the "illegals." There is a significant amount of racist underlying the current right wing movement.

#4 Carl Herrera, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

The hat is just the icing on the cake

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I personally like the tight fitting Texas flag button down. :(

Edit: That is supposed to be a Texas flag shirt right?

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

Maybe not, but he is as much a representation of the whole of the TEA Party as Karl Marx is a representation of the Democratic party or the OWS people.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I think so. Not sure if it's supposed to be "tight fitting," though. The volume of human flesh contained within it appear to exceed intended design specs.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I'm NOT a fan of the tea party at ALL, but I highly doubt they give a crap about a public opinion poll as long as they're winning elections.

Wake me up when an OWS candidate wins an election or two.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I understand that not all tea party members are racists, or even the majority of them. However there was the recent poll which showed that the tea party is more more racist than the Republicans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/opinion/crashing-the-tea-party.html

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

And, IMO, you are doing them a favor by using the word "racist" when describing the TEA Party. People who are not racist, but sympathize with the TEA Party in any way will defend the TEA Party and dig in on their positions when you use such rhetoric.

It is exactly analogous to idiots who call the Democratic party Communist.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

The Tea Party won one election in 2010, when public opinion turned sharply against the Democrats and was more favorable toward the Tea Party than it is now (as measured in, you guessed it, public opinion polls).

This one poll won't matter, but if the public opinion continues the way it is, Tea Party election result will be affected. They will give a crap then.

As for OWS candidates: not sure if the OWS folks (and those who have positive views of OWS) ever intends to run their own candidates, or would just vote for Democrats.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree with you. I wasn't calling the tea party racist, but they do have members who are racist, more so than any other major American party.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

The two polls cited in the OP are "BS" while the one poll you cited is crrect because....?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

carl

i don't mean to be a jerk but you have five threads on the front page. i think you have two occupy wall street threads.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I don't think they will because I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people in that poll won't vote in a non-presidential year election.

Anyway, I give the tea party another few years (or until Obama is out of office, whichever comes last) before they go the way of the Reform Party, so what's the point in worrying about them? Just a political fad, IMO. Like Ross Perot and Sara Palin used to be.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Ehhh. We've had a longer amount of time to get acquainted with and annoyed by the Tea Party. Occupy Wall St is still pretty new, so you'll have more people with no strong opinion.

And, I got to give the Tea Party credit for sticking around this long. I thought they wouldn't be able to maintain enough organization to do it. We'll see if we're even still talking about Occupy Wall St a year from now, good or bad.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Not really. While the majority of Tea Partiers are not racist, they do little to police and push out racist elements, and those elements are often very vocal.

Race isn't always an overt thing. And I am not talking about one-to-one racism but rather the systematic sort which is far more destructive. You can vote a black man into office and still be a racist, and probably not even be sure why.

When you say that black people would be as well off as whites if they just worked as hard - that's pretty much systematic racism.

As for Democrats having communists in their ranks...first of all, what the heck are you defining as communist? I'd say there are probably more racists in the Democratic party than there are communists. That's kinda ironic.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/flawed-poll-occupy-wall-st-vs-tea-party

Do you think that's honest polling?

Like I said. Your polls were purposely worded poorly to get a specific result so left blogs would post it.

#20 tallanvor, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011