1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pick a prospect...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SupermoochieFro, Feb 9, 2013.

1. SupermoochieFro

This is actually my first thread so hopefully I am doing this right and this actually deserves a thread but this is what I'm going for....

I know there are a lot of us out there who thoroughly enjoy monitoring the Astros farm system and love watching young prospects develop right in front of our eyes. You almost feel like a GM yourself when the guys you "pick" to succeed actually rise up and fulfill their potential. I just think it makes for a very underrated hobby of sorts. So my question is....who are you really buying stock in? Who are the prospects that are "your guys"? Just thought it'd be cool before the minor league season starts if everyone picked out one position player and pitcher that they are really excited to see develop.

-I'm going with Domingo Santana and Nick Tropeano! They're both coming off big seasons that garnered them more attention but I think they are still mid tier guys. I love Santana's size/age/power and the fact that he was the PTBNL in the Pence deal. @PaPaTropeano is very intriguing with his increasing velocity which makes his A+ changeup even more dangerous.

*If possible no top of the line prospects, i.e, Singleton, Cosart, Springer, Correa, etc.

2. juicystream

juicystream Member

Tropeano would be my guy.

After him it would be Wojciechowski.

3. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Domingo Santana and Ariel Ovando

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Rio Ruiz.

5. juicystream

juicystream Member

If you want me to go out there beyond our Top 20, and possibly Top 30, I'll say Michael Feliz.

1 person likes this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Member

Jose Altuve. Maybe being a top 100 prospect is still in his reach?

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

Before last season it was Domingo and DDJ. DDJ pretty much played himself into legit top prospect talk. Still waiting on Domingo to put together a big season away from Lancaster and make the jump himself.

The player I'm really pulling for is Andrew Aplin. I listened to his Appy league games on MILB radio and he put together a monster showing there. He tailed off at Lancaster but to make HiA in the same year he was drafted and perform respectably was really impressive. Scouting reports say his defense is his only ML tool, but I'd love to see him work hard and move up the ladder like Barnes. He could end up a second division regular center fielder. (not bad for a 5th rounder).

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Teoscar Hernandez. It would be great to see someone from the Academy make it all the way to Houston. Plus, he might be an even more intriguing prospect than Ovando, despite signing for $20K.

I'll also be keeping an eye out on Samil de los Santos, Kenny Long, Terrell Joyce, and Mitch Lambson.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

Altuve...

10. juicystream

juicystream Member

The Dominican Academy...

11. cdain3

cdain3 Member

I'm gonna add Jean Batista also.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I believe pitchers as whole make a more profound difference ultimately in W's, I am partial to the Jeff Bagwell type of player that puts fear into your opponent and hope into yours every at bat.

Because of his tools and immediacy in terms of getting to the majors, I suppose I follow Springer a bit more than most of our other prospects. While no one will ever be Jeff Bagwell again, I am hoping he can instill the same type of fear in our opponents and tally some very good power numbers.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Well, Jose Cisnero (DSL 2008) is on the cusp. What I probably should've said was "It would be great to see someone from the Academy make it all the way to Houston and be a key contributor for the Astros for years."

Since 2007, only one player from the DSL Astros has made it to Houston. Who is he?

There is one former VSL Astro on the current 40-man roster. His name escapes me. But, he is the only VSL Astros alumni to make it to Houston. The Astros scrapped that team after the 2008 season because... they wanted to re-introduce a GCL team, which they hadn't had since 1998.

I want to apologize for derailing the thread a bit here, so getting back on topic now. I've named my 5 prospects to watch... Hernandez, de los Santos, Long, Joyce, and Lambson.

To add on to the premise of SuperMoochieFro's thread, who are the 5 guys in the system that you will be keeping an eye on this season? Same rules apply:

14. juicystream

juicystream Member

That was Henry Villar.

Jose Altuve was in the Venezuelan Summer League as was Carlos Quevedo.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

After his successful stint in Lancaster, Quevedo definitely has a shot at making it to Houston. I think he might be a bullpen arm in Corpus this year.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Ross Seaton is the one I keep an eye on

17. juicystream

juicystream Member

Ever since they moved him to the pen, he has been amazing. If his strikeout numbers stick, he could be in a setup or closer role one day.

18. juicystream

juicystream Member

I'll be following:

NiTro
    Wojciechowski
    Clemens
    Quevedo
    West

As far as everyday players go:

Santana
    Villar
    Fontana
    Heineman
    Mier

I probably maintain some level of focus on every top 50 prospect. I'm so disappointed we switched from the SAL league, since I could drive to 2 of the stadiums in that league.

19. HeyBudLetsParty

Vincent Velazquez

20. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

For me it's Tropeano, Wojchichowski, Seaton, Ruiz (does he count as a top line prospect?), and West