1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Photography?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pole, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Anyone in to it?

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting a Digital SLR. All I've had are point and shoots, a Kodak DC digital camera (sold it to my sister), and a fairly decent (but not even a film SLR) Pentax IQ Zoom (over ten years old).

I like taking pictures, and I've been told I have a good "eye." It seems that with digital photography, the "picture to print" time is immediate enough to really flatten the learning curve.

Anyway, is anyone in to photography? Any advice? Any place to get good prices (this stuff is pricey!)

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not, but I want to. My sister and I came up with an idea for a coffee table book with of a bunch Texas high school stadiums.

I'm gonna do that one day if it hasn't already been done.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't forget Tully! :)

where the vikings practiced before the last super bowl in houston, i might add!

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No way I'd forget Tully, the site of my most embarassing moment as a football player. In 7th grade, we're down 4 with 30 seconds left. We start calling passing plays, and our coach tells me, the tight end, to run about of bounds immediately after catching it since we had no time outs. So, we run a passing play, I catch about a 20 yard pass, and immediately run out of bounds and promptly slip and fall on my ass, severly bruising my tailbone. That's not the bad part. Apparently, no one was within 15 yards of me, and I could've run 30 more yards for the winning touchdown. I never listened to my coaches again! :D

I've been thinking about taking an informal class at SMU or something for photography. Has anyone done anything like that?

5. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

I used to take a lot of pictures (before the digital SLR days) and was recently looking at getting some new equipment, and began looking at digital SLR and decided the Nikon D100 (for about $2000) was the one of choice for me.

I have not yet made the plunge, but I will tell you that Nikon is offering a $300-500 rebate at authorized dealers on the D1X or D1H models if you are interested in those, but you are looking at closer to $4600 for that.

The D100 is more of a consumer grade camera w/ 6.1 mega pix, and the D1X is more of a professional model w/ 5.7 mega pix, but many many more features (filtering, scsi connections etc.) and is more of a heavy duty camera, it depends on what you are looking for, but the D100 is more than enough for me.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

how about this one...my sophomore year we were in a two minute drill and down by 5 to willowridge the first game of the season...i run a 10 yard out...hear the footsteps behind me...think about breaking inside to get us deep in their territory..i'm on about the 15 yard line and we have all our timeouts left...i'm thinking about breaking back in after the catch...but fail to make the catch...goes right through my hands...i get back to the huddle and the QB says, "man, we gotta have those." i looked at him and calmly said, "yeah..no sh$# buddy."

i felt terrible after that game....

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm looking at the newly released Canon SLR 10D....they're saying nice things about it at www.dpreview.com