1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Phoenix trades Robinson to Pistons!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AB, Jun 29, 2001.

1. AB

AB Contributing Member

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I've always liked John Wallace. He may fit in well if they keep the same tempo.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Steal for the Pistons. John Wallace was disliked by everyone and was criticized heavily for a total lack of work ethic. He never played for Detroit. Buechler was overpaid to keep a promise made (forced by Grant Hill when he was there) to him. He is a very up and down player with only one skill, shooting and he's reluctant to do that.

Cliffie only takes up like 1 million more in cap room (and the Pistons will have like 16 million) and can contribute for a couple seasons with his outside stroke and defense.

I don't see Phoenix's motivation in this deal at all.

------------------

4. WickBrunson

WickBrunson Member

Wow. The Suns must really be hellbent on gutting their team. They've traded away their 1st and 3rd best players, and the way things are going I wouldn't be too surprised if they dealt Marion as well.

Defensively, the current Suns squad is just a notch above the Golden State Warriors. Robinson is a very underrated defender who could guard both 3's and 4's effectively. Wallace, on the other hand, is scrub. He's bounced around the league for a few years and has never made any kind of impact for any team [except for maybe his 1st season in Toronto]. Hopefully for the Suns these moves are part of a bigger plan for the offseason, because as it stands PHX is a 40 win club at best.

------------------

5. Mo Diggity Dawg

I agree...
    The team is a 40 win team now, and i think they have a bigger trade in the works or something. I have not heard anything yet, but this can't be the team to make a playoff run in the West.

------------------
    "Basketball is truth, and J-Dub is a lie..." I know basketball and most GM's don't...sometimes the best rooster move is no move at all. What makes your team successful is truly knowing when it's time to make a change and who is the player to help you do it.

6. jamma34

jamma34 Member

what exactly is phoenix getting out of this deal? 2 scrubs for a star?

------------------
    president of the sleepy floyd to hall of fame club.

http://www.it-is-truth.org

http://members.fortunecity.com/omar369

7. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

They do have a nice young duo in Marion and Marbury, but why wouldn't they give up Robinson for another young stud instead of trash like Wallace and Buechler?

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Others mention cap space in 03 but I think they like Wallace. They also add Majerle to please the fans, I like the deal for Detroit. The east should be more intresting with Atlanta, Wiz?, and Nets improving.

9. JAG

JAG Member

NOT that I'm a big fan of his, but imagine you're Marbury? "Ok, great, back on a team with talent! All right! Can't wait to get started! There's me and Marion and Clifford and...what's that? John %@$!%@!%@ing Wallace!?!?! Jud @!#@!%$#^$#^$!%@^$#!^$#!%@!ing Buchler!?!?!!? What, is it me, or something!?!? Did I run over God's dog in another @@$!%$@!%^!ing life?!!? What's that you're hearing? Marion for Greg %$!^$@!^ing Ostertag and DeShaun Stephenson!?!?!? Good, God! It's like that Bill %$@!#^!^ing Murray movie!

P.S. No, the Marion trade has no basis in reality, just got carried away.

------------------

10. ScreamingRocketJet

If you check out the online Phoenix press then the reason for the Kidd and Robinson trades become VERY clear cut...

Simply...the public their was not going to support a wife hitter (Kidd) or a pot smoking, DUI fool like Robinson...so they got rid of them both.

You CANNOT get equal trade value once a guy's reputation is tarnished...

------------------

[This message has been edited by ScreamingRocketJet (edited June 29, 2001).]