1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phoenix Suns' offseason deals don't get bang for their buck

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Phoenix Suns' offseason deals don't get bang for their buck

by Paul Coro - Dec. 30, 2010 06:24 PM

Only six other NBA teams committed more new contract money since the summer began than the Suns, who awarded a potential $104 million in contracts to Channing Frye, Jared Dudley, Josh Childress and Hakim Warrick.

San Antonio, New York, Miami, Dallas, Chicago and Atlanta spent money to acquire or keep stars and are among the top 12 NBA teams because of it. The Suns should have buyer's remorse for some of what they did, considering the roster patchwork has given them their worst record (13-17) to end a calendar year since the team that finished 29-53 seven seasons ago.

Frye, who signed a five-year, $30 million deal in July, is slumping but at least starting and averaging 11 points and six rebounds. Dudley signed a reasonable extension at the Nov. 1 deadline for $22.5 million over five years and has provided similar production to last season.

Dudley plays ahead of Childress, who signed a larger contract (five years, $33.5 million) in July but has been out of the rotation as an unnecessary wing addition.

Warrick also has teetered on the edge of the rotation, fall short of expectations after signing a four-year, $18 million contract (with a fourth-year team option) as the Suns' long-held backup plan if they lost Amar'e Stoudemire.

Babby's role
    The July contracts were given before Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby came aboard and Managing Partner Robert Sarver was handling free agency, including the Stoudemire negotiations. Dudley was Babby's first contract.

Frye was an important player for the Suns' offensive system - a big man who can spread the floor. Some internally debated the merits of signing an inexpensive shooting big man, such as Brian Cook, and using the rest of the money on other needs. Instead, the Suns went hard at Frye, going $8 million beyond what they had expected to spend for the contract after paying Frye a $2 million salary for last season.

The market pushed the envelope with Amir Johnson getting a five-year, $34 million deal and Drew Gooden signing for five years and $30 million. Frye had the leverage of finishing sixth in the NBA in 3-point percentage (43.9) and fourth in 3-pointers made (172). This season, he is shooting 36.1 percent on 3s - 20.6 percent over the past six games.

Frye said he felt more pressure last season playing for a contract than he does now to live up to one.

"At first, I did," Frye said of feeling pressure. "Coach (Alvin Gentry) told me I can't think like that. No matter what anybody says, I feel like I try to earn it every single day. I feel like I've been trying to contribute to this team in any possible way I can to help it win. I love the Suns, this organization and especially the players. Being able to stay here and take care of my family is huge.

Work for it
    "There is no pressure on me now playing for a contract. They know what I can do and it's up to me to continue to get better and challenge myself. You find your inner motivation. You play ball because you love it and want to win."

Dudley said he feels more relaxed after signing the extension, worrying at one point about the possibility of a serious injury in his last contract year.

"But I think I've worked even harder," said Dudley, who has $1.25 million of playoff incentives in his deal. "It's the first time I've lifted weights this extended. I'll have 30 lifts this month, the most lifts in the history of the Suns.

"I want to outplay the contract. I want to get another one. There's so much I can build on. I can still improve my body, my offensive game and defensively get stronger. This is the perfect system and perfect trainers. The Suns did well and I got security. I could've done better. But my thing is, 'Does the risk outweigh the reward?' For me, it didn't."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...s-offseason-deals.html#comments#ixzz19iCQ0yPv

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Dudley was a good signing but the rest have predictably bombed in comparison to their contracts. I'll keep saying, Sarver needs the cap/financial relief BADLY, Yao makes all the sense in the world for them. At the deadline, I would look into Nash, their 1st rd pick and one of their crap deals for Yao.

3. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Suns are a bunch of scrubs.

Thought Nash would make Warrick a very decent player, guess not.

Only young talent they have is Dragic.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Suns lost their mind signing Childress. They must have thought playing with Nash would make him into something special.

They should have known Channing Frye would have a dropoff after last season. He's a real nice guy but is soft as butter.

5. Prince

Prince Member

What's new? they were once a top team then they bring Shaq.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yea . . if the rockets are going to try to rip them off
    I think Dragic is the better value than Nash at this point

Rocket River

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, basically, they gave these 5 guys the $100 mil they could have given to Amare?

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Money they could have used to resign Amar'e to a max deal.

9. QPower

QPower Member

I'm still puzzled as to why they didn't just re-sign Amare to all that money that they gave to get Hedo, Warrick and etc.

Another thing, why didn't they go after Scola? They could have offered much more than us and Morey probably wouldn't have matched.

Thank God their owner is an idiot cheapskate.

10. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Nash does absolutely nothing for us, we need size and defense, scoring is not our problem!

11. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I think the whole "Amare needs a Nash" argument has come to its conclusion. Phoenix without Amare sucks terribly. The Knicks with Amare are solid

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Nash does a lot for us, he provides a floor general and closer. I love Lowry and really like AB but neither are at his level and he could be the guy to attract more stars. Plus, the Suns are sinking so if you can get their #1 pick next year...the deal would be fantastic. We need size but Nash makes EVERYONE better including JHill, Scola and Martin.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actually, PHX is still quite good offensively (1st overall last year, 3rd overall this year), though they definitely saw a drop. Their defense that went from bad last year to historically bad this season (on pace to be 6th worst of ALL TIME).

Amare was no defensive demon, but the guys who took his minutes so far-- Warrick, Turkoglu, etc. were just real defensive sieves.

The Knicks with Amare are basically a .500 team. They are 7th in offense and 7th worst in defense.

Both of them seem to be fine offensively without each other, judging by both personal stats and team offensive rating, but Nash's team is just so horrible on D (and he's a part of the horribleness, though in the past his teams have not been this historically horrible for the most part).

EDIT: Actually, as far as personal numbers go: Nash's numbers are about the same as last seasons. Amare's usage is up a bit and his efficiency seems to have dropped significantly (ORtg went from 117 to 108, TS% from .615 to .584). He can still score in bunches, but is finding less easy shots.

#13 Carl Herrera, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  14. Chamillionaire

i think of all those players, Dudley has a chance to be somewhat productive.

Frye and Warrick hasn`t shown anything to deserve big contracts.

Josh Childress really never did anything while with ATL so i`m not sure where all that hype comes from.

15. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

Its too bad Stoudmire left. I believe the Suns could have gotten deep in the playoffs if he would have stayed. A typical Steve Nash, an ageless Grant Hill, explosive J-Rich (when they still had him), good defender/shooter in Dudley and Lopez and Stoudmire clogging up the paint. Not mention Fyre, Childress, and Turoglu, Dragic coming off the bench. Oh well, that's one less team to worry about in the West.

16. delishman

delishman Member

Throw some cap relief their way.. we'll take their mid to late lottery pick.

Chilly was solid in ATL but not worth the $$ he got here. With that said him and pick with Battier traded in another deal we would be OK.

Hakim Warrack was dumb. Hes nothing more than a 9th man. At best a backup for a 4. (with that said I was praying for the Rockets to draft him)

Turkeyglue... Come On.. Even after singing Chilldress.. WTF?

Dudley.. smart dude. worth the contract. will figure out what he needs to do.

Fyre.. Way too soft. decent shooter. a mild overpay but at least has a role.

OR...

You could pay amare 5 mil more and this wouldnt have even been an issues.

17. delishman

delishman Member

Nash may not fill what he need or want but he is infinitely better than what we have. Lowry and Brooks are a super solid duo but Nash is one of the best. Scola and Hill would explode under him. We would go from playoff contenders to "could make some noise in the playoffs" that alone is worth it.

Brooks+Battier+2012 Knicks Pick

for

Nash

Sepearete Deal:

TE

for

Chilldress and 2012 Suns pick ( top 3 protected)

18. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

They wanted him to drop his asking price, they felt his knees were too risky for MAX contract. Its a good long term decision, even if Amare doesnt get injured again. Why risk that type of injury and money? I think they did right by not getting Amare.

Just look at Roy and Oden. Why do you think Pritchard got fired after he made Portland turnaround like that? Because he gave ROY an extension full-well knowing the risks and he picked Oden knowing full well what could happen. He was adament in both moves and payed the price for taking the risks.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Some teams think filling out a roster and having pieces everywhere filling more holes means overall the team is better. Its not always like that in the NBA where premium star power is still a big factor in team performance.

The Suns are better with Amare & Nash + filler than the current roster. Most understandably thought the NBA title ship sailed on the Suns after 6+ seasons never even getting to the Finals. They retooled in another direction but it looks like its already time to blow it up.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

amare wanted to leave. he's in his prime. why sign long term with a team that relies on nash and grant hill? on a 6 year contract they would be good for the first two years then suck the rest of his career while they tried to rebuild.

i think amare was gone no matter what and the suns tried to use their money to fill in the gaps but came up way short. getting out of richardson and turkoglu's contracts is a good rebuilding move. next up has to be nash with a couple of their offseason signings.