1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[PEORIA JOURNAL]Hitting Illini's highest note

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/062905/SPO_B6RANOUM.080.shtml

Hitting Illini's highest note

Utah picks Deron Williams third overall; Houston makes Head first-rounder

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

BY JOE SPENCER

OF THE JOURNAL STAR

Deron Williams called it the longest minute of his life.

Danny Granger and Luther Head agonized for a few more hours before relief came.

Welcome to the NBA.

On Tuesday, three of college basketball's elite shared seats on one of the most frightening, and exhilirating rollercoaster rides for pro prospects: the NBA Draft in New York.

"I didn't know what was going on," Williams said of his anxious moment, NBA commissioner David Stern's elongated pause before announcing the former Fighting Illini point guard as Utah's No. 3 pick.

"I figured when Utah traded up from sixth to third with Portland that it was going to be between me and Chris (Paul). But I didn't know if there was another trade going on or what. (Stern) took forever to call my name. It was the longest minute of my life."

Milwaukee selected Utah center Andrew Bogut as the top overall choice and Atlanta nabbed North Carolina small forward Marvin Williams with the second pick.

The Jazz sent picks Nos. 6 and 27 in this year's draft and a future first-round choice to Portland on Tuesday afternoon to select Deron Williams, who passed Kendall Gill (No. 5, 1990) as the highest first-round choice in Illinois history. Williams joined Gill, Red Kerr (No. 6, 1954), George Bon Salle (No. 7, 1957) and Don Sunderlage (No. 9, 1951) in the elite group of Illini picked in the top ten.

"I guess I have to prove I am worth three first-round picks now," Williams said before hopping a limo to a party in his honor hosted by New York's 40/40 Club, which is owned by millionaire rapper Jay-Z. "I am just going to go in there, learn the system and work on improving my shooting. I want to get my (shooting) percentages up."

The wait was much longer for former Bradley player Danny Granger. Projected as a potential top-10 pick, the New Mexico small forward slid all the way to the Indiana Pacers at No. 17.

A half-hour later, Head became one of the stories of the draft. Originally forecasted as a fringe second-rounder following Illinois' run as the national runner-up, Head was so impressive during summer workouts at the Chicago Pre-Draft camp that he was the tenth guard selected overall at No. 24 by Houston.

"This is a great day for Illinois basketball," said Deron Williams, who joined Head in the first draft class Illinois has produced two first-round choices since Nick Anderson (No. 11) and Kenny Battle (No. 27) in 1989.

"I was so happy when I saw Luther's name. He deserved to be a first-round pick with what he did during the season and at the camp in Chicago."

Williams, Illinois' assist leader the past three years with a 2.4 to 1 assist-to-turnover ratio, now gets the unenviable task off trying to replace Utah's legendary John Stockton.

"Utah's scouts asked me which of the three I would take," Illinois coach Bruce Weber said of top point-guard prospects Williams, Chris Paul of Wake Forest and North Carolina's Raymond Felton. "I thought with their system that it was a no-brainer to take Deron.

"Deron can do things in transition and the half-court and just runs the point like the way I feel (Utah coach) Jerry Sloan likes it. I think in Jerry's mind and the mind of the organization that Deron can be the closest guy of the three to being the next John Stockton."

Williams is viewed as an instant upgrade over incumbent, Keith McLeod. Though injuries slowed the Jazz's best player, Andrei Kirilenko, last year the team was looking for any way to improve its 25th overall ranking in scoring.

Granger's was shocked by his fall. Several prospects graded lower than Granger heading into the draft, including Seattle prep guard Martell Webster (No. 6, Portland), Charlie Villanueva (No. 7, Toronto) and Russian forward Yaroslav Korolev (No. 12, Los Angeles Clippers) went ahead of the Lobos' leader in scoring (18.8 ppg), rebounding (8.9), steals (2.1) and blocks (2.0).

But he was excited to head to the Pacers, a perennial playoff contender in the Eastern Conference. Indiana will pair the 6-foot-8 forward with all-star center Jermaine O'Neal.

"I feel really good about my position," stated Granger.

Meanwhile, Head moved in the opposite direction as one of the highest risers in the draft after finishing Chicago's pre-draft camp as its second-leading scorer (43 points) and grading in the combine's battery of drills.

as the most athletic guard.

"I was watching it at my mom's house here in Chicago and I just locked myself in a room," Head said. "This was the most nervous day of my life. I was nervous every minute.

"When my name came up, it was like an earthquake went through our house."

Head said he looks forward to playing alongside the likes of all-star wing Tracy McGrady and one of the game's largest forces, Chinese 7-footer Yao Ming.

"I would be happy wherever I go, but playing with them will be a great experience for me," Head said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------