1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC Tech issue] Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TexasStake, May 1, 2012.

1. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

My laptop had the BSOD... so I took out the HDD, plugged it into my desktop to save all the files I didn't want erased. I then proceeded to clean out the entire HDD. After placing it back into my laptop, I realize the OS was saved to the HDD and is now gone.

So how do I get this back? I have my serial # to my original Windows XP OS, and I've downloaded the OS which includes an AutoRun file. If I burn this to a CDr and have it in my laptop while I cut the laptop on, will these autorun files open automatically and let me install the OS again?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

You're going to need the specific type of windows xp that came with your laptop. If you got the windows xp disc from the manufacturer of your laptop, then you would need to burn it to disc. If you got it from some nefarious site or BitTorrent, you may be out of luck.

How old is the laptop? If you're a student there's a good chance that you can get windows 7 from your college for cheap. I would check your laptops compatibility first.

Post more info. To a tech your post reads like 'my random make and model car is broken. I got a new engine. Now what?'

3. smokieethabear

Yea like Xero said hopefully its a legitimate copy of windows not some random crap you found on the net.. but let's say its a legitimate copy of windows w/ a serial.. just pop the cd in and boot from cd and you should be able to follow the steps and get windows back on your laptop... In my previous experiences though.. if the BSOD was hard drive related.. it might happen again in a few months.. more than likely.. its time to replace the HDD..

4. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Some laptop models can access their backup hard drive partition where the from-factory installation is reserved. :eek: Google your model and your manufacturer, and I am more than sure that you can do CTRL+F11 or another key combination at startup and boot from the partition to restore.

Try it.

Why did you delete the OS, <s>dumbass</s> sir? :confused:

EDIT: JUST SAW YOUR LAPTOP MODEL reply: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos1000/en/index.htm <- read the manual to restore here.

6. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

If you have a legitimate copy of windows xp of the same version that matches your serial number on a CD, just set the laptop to boot to CD and it should walk you thru the setup. If you have to buy a copy though, you are better off going with windows 7 which should run on your laptop based on what you linked.
    Windows 7 minimum specs are:
    •1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

•1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

•16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

•DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

If you are a student or have a student in your family, you can get the student discount.

7. Dei

Dei Member

Get an ISO of XP SP2. Burn to CD. Set your laptop's BIOS to boot from CD (google if you don't know). Install using your serial.

Simple as that.

8. huypham

huypham Member

have you checked if you still have a recovery partition? can you hit F8 on boot up and choose restore?