1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patty Mills this guy could be a starter most places

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by split41, Mar 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. split41

split41 Member

I think this dude is really underrated, and really has some all-star potential...maybe.

I wish we had him.

Thoughts on this unsung player?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tg0nmzG7KqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have always loved him, and I have always wondered why he wasn't more coveted.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

CIA Pop finding diamonds in the turds.

[​IMG]

4. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

Big fan of his game, he's the perfect heir to Tony Parker.

5. Chamillionaire

He's good now. He wasn't that great in Portland. He's a good player, sure. But he's also a byproduct of the system.

Pops. That's the guy. Not really Mills.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its hilarious to me that a guy named Patty Mills isn't a ginger-haired drunken white Irishman.

I expect a dude name Patty Mills to be screaming about someone stealing his Lucky Charms.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Fooled by Pop. He played in China and sucked.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Does Clutch also make videos for spurstalk? How come similar FT at the corner after a foul.

9. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

Nah it's more than just system, he got game.
    He'll be a tough cover for years to come, unfortunately.

10. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

I remember him from the '08 Olympics he was tearing Jason Kidd a new one in the Australia v USA game

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You sure it wasn't just a video linked from the youtube user "DawkinsMTA"? I think its a hallmark of his; excellent stuff

http://www.youtube.com/user/DawkinsMTA

12. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

All Start potential, that's a good one. He is a product of the Spurs system, he is a decent player but I don't think he is any better than Aaron Brooks who we just traded. I do think Brooks is better than Lin, so I guess we could use Patty over Lin.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It actually is difficult to separate Pop's system from the players. The Spurs are the most disciplined team in the NBA. How much of Mill's game is a product of the system? Difficult to tell.

14. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Interesting that you should mention Lin. I actually see Lin as a Spurs sort of guy, one who plays well within a system. He is intelligent enough to thrive in such a system and having a strong paternal figure in Pop would be beneficial for Lin's confidence as a player.

Not sure what you've seen but there is no way Brooks or Mills are better than Lin. If you factor in their respective contracts, then an argument of overall worth to a team could be made. But in terms of raw play, I don't see them even coming close to what Lin is capable of.

15. basketballholic

He has taken his game up significantly this year. I think he's the best backup pg in the game and I don't think anybody has a good matchup for him. I think he's gonna clean up in the playoffs and may be the player that puts the Spurs over the top this season.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not bagging on him but what makes you think that? The biggest gripe people have is that he isn't even intelligent enough to play well here. He makes low IQ plays over and over again.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Pop's best asset is his ability to instill confidence in players. He tells them to shoot with confidence and knows what they can and can't do. Problem is that confidence isn't constant.

Look at Gary Neil.

18. Ditty

Ditty Member

I love Patty Mills! :grin: He's a great teammate, and great shooter. I think he is a better version of Gary Neal on both sides of the ball. He is going to get paid this offseason, if Parker struggles at times in the postseason and Mill helps us win some games especially the championship. I think his offensive game should translate to the playoffs as I see him as a better JJ Barea. The only thing that worries me is that he seemed to struggle on a few possessions against Miami a few weeks ago when they trapped him on pick n rolls, and his half court defense is average at best. If he matches up with spot up shooter like a Derek Fisher who can't do too much on the offensive end I think he will be fine in the playoffs.

19. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Aussies represent!

20. jacoby

jacoby Member

Anyone remember when he just ripped Aaron Brooks apart when he played in Portland back in 2010?