1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parking in Downtown Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hieuytran, Apr 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

I don't go into downtown that often so I'm not totally sure on this...

I went to a Rockets a month or so ago against the Mavs and there were a bunch of cars parked on the side of the street and so I decided to park there too (I normally do, but not on this street before). Everyone was waiting inside there car because the meter thing said it is not available at the time and so one of the ladies waiting in her car went up to a cop and asked him about it and he said that we could park there since it was after 6 so it was free. The sign did not say that, all it said was meter parking M-Sat 9am-4pm but since he said that we were like ok cool.

Then this past Tuesday my friends an I went to the viewing party at TC and we found parking on the side of the street that had that same sign so we figured since it was already after 6 it would be free. As we were standing in line to get in we saw a traffic cop giving out parking tix to all the cars that were parked. Two of my friends got a ticket but luckily I got back in time to stop him and moved my car.

So I guess my question is what are the parking laws in DT.

2. quad4x

quad4x Member

depends on the street, i know la branch close to toyota center there is actually a sign that says no parking at certain times

however on most of the side streets, you're not allowed to park 4-6pm because that's rush hour but after 6pm its free parking

i usually park a little farther away on Walker (4-5 blocks away) (near $5 lot)
    but if you get there early enough there are closer spots

just look for the sign on the street, MOST of the time they'll inform you when you can/cannot park

3. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Depends on the street.

I know the street where the Bus is located (Bell, I think) you can park after 6PM without reprecautions.

I usually park over near Discovery Green. It's only a 3-4 block walk.

4. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Traffic cop or meter maid? I remember when I worked for Z-107.5 we used to park up on Jones Plaza for Party on the Plaza. We had a permit and were a sponsor of the event. We parked there EVERY Thursday. One Thursday (and only one), a guy walked by and wrote us a ticket. We were there and we showed him the permit; he just didn't care. Maybe he got paid per ticket written?