1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Parents] 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Kid Do

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by twhy77, Aug 4, 2014.

1. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C-VacaaN75o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I heard aboout this TED Talk on This American Life Saturday afternoon.

When interviewed, he went much more in depth with the why behind these things. I thought the coolest rationale that he put forth was how we have created an environment where kids are taught to be consumers rather than creators.

I know a lot of you guys out there are parents, and this hopefully will spark some insightful dialogue about the endeavor.

My kids and I are looking for stuff to take apart as we speak.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I always loved taking old VCRs apart as a kid, and it just so happens I have a Tivo that I don't use anymore. Can't believe I didn't think to let him open it up. But I agree with all the 5 things. We live in an overprotective society these days. Is the world really more dangerous than it used to be, or is just our perception based on things like the 24hour news cycle? In any case, we gotta let kids be kids, and give them opportunities to explore on their own.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If taking crap apart leads to being smarter later in life, my boys are both going to be in MENSA. :)

4. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

I've given a lot of thought to this. In some ways the world is more dangerous. Cars drive faster and our travel times are longer. The internet seems to have opened up a Pandora's box with respect to sexual predators where they are more daring than they used to be.

On the other hand, there have always been sexual predators, and there has always been danger in the world. People are very fearful that their most prized "possession", their kids, will be lost forever. In a sense we have consumerized our kids into a commodity. That sucks.

This business of raising kids to be wonderful people ain't no joke.