1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Palin's strange mayoral power trip

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by yaoluv, Sep 3, 2008.

1. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/us/politics/03wasilla.html?pagewanted=2&hp

Palin's time as mayor hasn't been vetted here very thouroughly and I think this article sheds a lot of light on it.

The whole thing strikes me as very weird.

Her town was a small friendly town of 5000 people. While running for mayor she received 600 votes, yes you read that correctly. The avg houston high school class president gets more votes than that.

So why was one of her main mayoral issues abortion? That strikes me as extremely silly, like my high school class president using the Iraq War as the central issue of his campaign.

And why after getting elected did she try to fire all of the major public employees like sheriff, librarian, etc etc?

I mean you won by a couple hundred votes so you can do what you want I guess, but these people have jobs, are trying to make a living and support their families and it seems pretty mean spirited and weird to fire them just because they didn't vote for you.

I also find it weird that 100 people gathered to talk about recalling her after her election.

I think a lot more is going to come out about her time as mayor, and if she ever decides allow herself to be interviewed, many tough questions will be asked.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think as we've seen in interviews with a few mccain people, her choice wasn't a governing choice, but a campaigning choice.

everybody, even the republicans, know she's not ready to be VP. but the newness factor, female factor, and hillary clinton factor are the main reasons she's the nominee.

she's not gonna help mccain one single bit in any of his policies.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know the answers to all that. But, my father-in-law is involved in politics in a small backwater in the Maine wilderness. From what he's told me of the officials there, they all need to be fired. And, I think that may be the curse of the small town.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The librarian should keep her job. She wouldn't go along with Palin's book banning ideas and that's why Palin wanted her fired. The librarian should be given an award.

5. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

When did the amount of votes matter to the Democrats? Hillary got 18 million votes in the primaries and was passed over for a fossil. But somehow SHE isn't even vetted. Makes total sense to me.

The controversy of vetting is on the wrong ticket, imo.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'd like to see the titles in question.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The titles of the books?