1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

P-Ew to NY, assist Williams?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 23, 2005.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://newyorkpost.com/sports/knicks/38681.htm

Would the Rockets allow assistant Patrick Ewing to break his contract and join Herb Williams' staff? Williams and Ewing are best friends and "The Big Fella" is dying to come back to the Knicks. Williams and Ewing spoke briefly yesterday. When asked if he'd want to hire Ewing, Williams smiled and said, "I'm just worried now about winning."

KNICKS' PREZ IS FINE WITH JACKSON

By MARC BERMAN (no, not 'that' Mark Berman)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    January 23, 2005 --
    Isiah Thomas said the perception he and Phil Jackson can't get along because their egos are supersized is a fallacy.

"I've never had a problem working for, playing for or being with anybody," Thomas said. "In terms of getting along with people, nobody's ever said that about me."

Jackson has expressed interest in coaching the Knicks, where he served as a player. The theory is Jackson will only coach a team ready to win a title, but unless Dallas or Denver come along, the combination of big bucks and championship-calibre team might not surface.

Jackson told The Post in the preseason during a book-signing he would listen if the Knicks called. Thomas responded the next day, saying Jackson is an "attractive candidate."

Larry Brown has long desired coaching the Knicks but that could be messy since he's still under contract with the Pistons. Meanwhile, Pat Riley's executive contract with the Heat ends this summer and he could be interested in returning for a second stint.

Thomas said he never considered Lenny Wilkens as the long-term coach that would bring the club the title. He chose Wilkens over Mike Fratello — who's excelling in Memphis — because it was a better fit.

"The next two, three years it will be moving up the ladder, then you go and find the coach that beings it home for you," Thomas said. "I thought Lenny could do a better job of calming the waters, building the foundation and then turning it over to somebody else."

Would the Rockets allow assistant Patrick Ewing to break his contract and join Herb Williams' staff? Williams and Ewing are best friends and "The Big Fella" is dying to come back to the Knicks. Williams and Ewing spoke briefly yesterday. When asked if he'd want to hire Ewing, Williams smiled and said, "I'm just worried now about winning."

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't let the door hit you in the booty on the way out,Patrick.
    Bring on Kareem.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

BY FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

SURPRISE, SURPRISE: Patrick Ewing wants to become an NBA head coach someday. But Houston, one of his former teammates, had no inkling about the Big Fella's aspirations.

"That really isn't something I thought he would do," Houston said after the Knicks' morning shoot-around. "I thought he would just kick back and enjoy life. But Patrick loves the game so much. That's who he is."

4. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As backbitin' Marv would say - "YES!!!"

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

GO AWAY, EWING!

6. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

maybe he didn't get yao to dominate yet but who else are we gonna have tutor him?

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Best news possible on Ewing. Good riddance. Bring in someone like Moses or Kareem.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

.. or Bill Russell. During the China games in the preseason, Russell was there and Bill Walton, during one of the telecasts, said that he would love to be a coach for Yao.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL, How much you want to bet if Ewing goes to NY that JVG brings in John Starks to take his place.

11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

LOL! Yea, he'll coach the guys to choke in the biggest game of their careers.

12. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Take the Job Mr. Ewing...We can ask Moses Malone to come aboard -great teacher to Akeem, Elvin Hayes- large forward , but good big man-in Houston anyway, or Pete Newwell.

This will benefit Yao's development.

Recall how much malone helped Akeem at U of H practicing at Fonde in summer off season.....

13. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I want Jabaar, Dream, or Moses anyway.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Pete Newell turns 90 this year. I don't think he's going to help out.

Bringing in Kareem or Russell would be great. Since Kareem is the one actively trying to be a head coach, I would think he is the best choice.

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

take the job Pat so we can bring in Moses

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'd help Ewing pack his bags if I didn't think Jeff NY Gundy wouldn't just replace him with Charles Oakley or Anthony Mason. :(

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Please don't leave Houston Patrick!

Paid for by the Harris County Gentlemen's Club Association.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think any of those guys are going to be hired or work with Yao.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed! If Ewing leaves then JVG will just hire another coach HE is comfortable with. I dont see Russell or Moses or Kareem or Hakeem coming in.

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you guys are kidding yourselves if you think Ewing is going to work for the Knicks this season...