1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Outlaw Traded

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ROCKSS, Nov 16, 2001.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Friday, November 16

Suns get Outlaw, first-round pick from Magic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns acquired forward Bo Outlaw and a first-round draft pick from the Orlando Magic on Friday in a three-team deal also involving the Los Angeles Clippers.

The Suns sent guard-forward Jud Buechler to the Magic and guard Vinny Del Negro to the Clippers. Orlando also gave cash to Los Angeles and acquired an option to swap second-round picks with the Clippers in the 2005 draft.

The first-round draft pick acquired from Orlando is the remaining selection that Phoenix sent to Orlando as part of the sign-and-trade deal to acquire Penny Hardaway in 1999.

Outlaw, in his ninth NBA season, is known for his rebounding and hustle.

"Bo Outlaw should immediately impact the energy level of this basketball team," Suns president Bryan Colangelo said. "He has proven to be an effective defender, rebounder and shot blocker. He can change the flow of the game."

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Marion and Outlaw - High Energy Guys

Why did orlando make this move.
    They could have gotten a nice
    sweet shooting Vandy Alum, Collier, AND CATO
    I mean . . would not give up Outlaw for all that

Rocket River

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

They get Outlaw and a 1st-rounder for Buechler and Del Negro? WTF!?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That really pisses me off. We should have gotten Outlaw - I am sure we could have gotten him for Walt!! Outlaw would have been exactly what this team needs!!!!!!! Marbury, Penny, Marion, Outlaw - damn, if they add a more or less decent center, they are very good!

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Don't know how the hell Phoenix pulled that off. I'm sure they'll miss that potent Buechler-Del Negro combination. :rolleyes:

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What the hell????

Talk about highway robbery.

Phx now is a better team than us.

Did Outlaw complain about playing time or something?

This move makes absolutely no sense to me, from Orl's standpoint.

Why didn't we give them a 2nd round pick, Collier, and a bag of chips for Outlaw???

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man.... what a ****ing steal by Phoenix. :mad:

8. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

Yea, Phoenix got a still.:eek:

9. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

Outlaw is a great role player , too bad we didnt get him

Willis/Cato
    Outlaw/Griffin
    K9/Rice
    Mobley/Walt
    Francis/Mooch

Great Linup (one of the best defensive teams)

The Suns just sealed their playoff spot 7-8 , bad news for us it wont be easy getting into the playoff with Clippers Wolves,Suns,Portland and Utah . if Rice Wont be more effective this season we wont be in the playoff .

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

Cap room move by the Magic, specifically for 2003 when Duncan will be a free agent. Now they have approx. $16 million in cap room for then, plus a $3 or so million trade exception for the next year.

Marc Jackson or Raef LaFrentz may be next in a Magic uniform.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Bo Outlaw is all you think it takes for the Suns to be better than the Rockets? The Rockets went on the road, to Phoenix, played one of their worst games of the year, and still found a way to win against an inspired Suns team. And you think the difference between the two teams can be made up by Bo Outlaw? Nowhere close...

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The Rockets are still MUCH better then Phoenix. Outlaw isn't that much of an impact player. Good trade for Phoenix, but how does Outlaw put them that much over the top!? His stats this year is 3.4 ppg 2.9 rpg. His career stats are 25.7 mpg, 6.5 ppg and 5.6 rpg, not much better then Cato. Orlando felt the need to get an aging Patrick Ewing and Horace Grant over playing Outlaw, I don't see what the big deal is. Hopefully though the Rockets are looking at deals and trying to get us an extra big man.

#12 RocksMillenium, Nov 16, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2001
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

I also think he is worth much more than his stats indicate. He seems to inspire tenacity and agressiveness in everyone around him. He's not the greatest player, but he's very active.

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

This trade is unbelievable. It is not like Orlando needs less defense around McGrady, Hill and Miller. They give up the far superior player and give up a #1, for Uncle JUD!!!

Doc says the championship experience of Uncle JUD was a factor. Well heck, let's resign Charles Jones and offer him strait up for McGrady, after all Tracey doesn't have the championship experience, and has a girls name to boot.

I would have loved to have a lane clogger like Outlaw, we could have offered Langhi, or maybe even Walt.

This trade is maybe even more one sided than the Bibby-JLow one.

15. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The trade doesn't make sense for Orlando, but maybe it's the prelude to another trade involving Miller. If I'm Orlando, I'd try to get Dale Davis from Portland.

16. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Oh please, the Suns are NOT making the playoffs.

The Rockets are still better than the Suns, Sonics, Clippers, Jazz, AND WOLVES!

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing somwhat. Maybe Orlando is clearing cap space to make a move for another player (in particular, a decent frontcourt player). How does Outlaw's salary compare to Buford's?

18. Ren

Ren Member

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Why would they trade Outlaw RIGHT NOW?

Wouldn't it be logical, to trade him before the 2003 offseason?

Orl has a great shot at winning the East this year. If Orl wasn't set on winning this year, why did they go after Ewing and Grant?

The timing of this move makes absolutely no sense.

Did Orl JUST realize that Duncan is a FA after 2003? Wouldn't it be logical to trade him before the year, if you're not going to trade him in 2003.

Orl had basically 2 seasons to trade Outlaw.

Why the heck are they willing to trade a key role player, a #1 pick, and cash for some scrubs?

You would think Orl would try to showcase Outlaw by playing him for more than 16 mins a game.

:rolleyes:

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Marbury and Penny is equal to Francis and Mobley.

Their frontcourt is now slightly better than ours.

Their overall depth is much better than ours.

I'd also say that Shawn Marion is better than Glen Rice.

Rodney Rogers would be our starting PF.

What did I forget to leave out?