1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Out of curiosity: Yao or Howard, now that we have Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Feb 26, 2014.

?

What would you rather have, Howard or a healthy Yao

1. Howard (who we now have)

17.9%
  2. A healthy Yao (two words that, when together, cause me to weep)

82.1%
  1. Hmm

Hmm Member

of course, the officiating in that series would have nothing to do with that...

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

You make it like Yao was a worm that has trouble changing direction once moving in one way. That's too much.

Yao did have lots of trouble against guys like Boozer. I will also say he would probably get killed by the Griffin and Jordan duo today, but that's about it. He would be dominating Hibbert, Gasol, LMA which Howard does not fair well against at all.

As someone has said, Yao was getting IT right before he went down badly and never really recovered afterwards.

3. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

For everyone saying Dwight took a bunch of scrub to the Finals - answer this:

How far would this team go in the East?

Yao / Gortart
    Lewis / Gortart / Hedo
    Hedo / Pietrus / Reddick
    Richardson / Lee / Reddick
    Nelson / Lue

4. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I purposely left off Rafer from that team because Rafer's teardrops give me nightmares. :grin:

5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

People also seem to forget that Boozer was a 21/11 guy and Okur was a 18/7 guy ... not to mention Deron, AK47, Harpring, young & athletic Brewer & Millsap.

What did we have? A bunch of guys that couldn't score with the exception of Yao & Tmac?

Also lol @ Yao couldn't win even with Tmac - the year we finally got out of the first round was with Tmac's rotting 23 million dollar corpse on the bench.

6. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Yao Ming is officially overrated.
    1. No franchise center was gonna thrive on last years Lakers team with that horrific floor spacing and lack of post touches. The reason why LA wasn't good last year is because D'antoni had 4 stars, and he wanted to make certain players lower to lesser roles. He tried to Pick n' roll Gasol like he Amare freaking Stoudemire and that was not his game. He tried to make Dwight basically Tyson Chandler and Dwight refused. He tried to give Steve Nash a Jason Kidd role which was dumb. Players were playing out of their strengths to keep Kobe the same player he was, thus, giving them no real cohesive identity. Yao Ming would have NEVER thrived because LA was a run and gun pick n roll team.

2. You talk about the "way" people played Dwight. Dwight got so many different schemes thrown at him it isn't even funny and almost all of them didn't work. The great Phil Jackson's only worked because he had 3 top 5 rebounders and they were all great defenders in Odom, Gasol and Bynum. None of them could stop Dwight 1 on 1, but they trapped him on the lowblock and fouled literally everytime he got the ball in the paint. Yao had numerous weaknesses to attack, you could front him, you could play uptempo on him, or you could smallball him.

3. Both had teams built around each other and Yao failed with his, Dwight went much further bottom line. And by the way, Dwight is substantially better on D because those 3 DPOY's would like a word.

7. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Yao owned Howard h2h.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Definitely a healthy Yao.

Then again, Yao had T-Mac to work with (a lot of the time). Howard has not been teammates with anyone that good till now, so IMO he still has 3.5 more years to make a mark.

Honestly, I think a lot of people looking at Dwight right now are thinking he has a hot streak going and that he's likely to end the season only slightly better than his last season in Los Angeles. I think he's going to be better the rest of the season, and I think he'll top that in the playoffs where Harden's game is more likely to be affected than his own.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

2009 Howard is my pick.

10. Sirton

Sirton Member

A healthy Yao if he would stay healthy, but even a healthy Yao would break down in a year. Dwight over a long term hes more durable and about as good as a Healthy Yao.

11. yummyhawtsauce

Has anyone ever try to pick a fight with Yao?? video plz

12. yummyhawtsauce

Also has Yao been mad enough to want to fight someone? lol also video please

13. arjun

arjun Member

i think it depends who else is on the team. with players like tmac and harden...great offensive players and not so great defensive players, i think it is important to have a dwight howard.

for teams that need a #1 option and are well off defensively on the perimeter...yao is a no-brainer.

14. aggie87

aggie87 Member

this hypotethical "when healthy" is very bias...

if Tmac was healthy his entire career, he would be compared to Kobe, Lebron....

Yao failed to stay healthy and it severely impacted his short lived career, with that said, Howard is a way better defender, shot blocker, rebounder, and much quicker on his feet..... Yao is better offensively though

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

He keeps blaming Yao for more than a decade. Whenever there is the thread of Yao, he likely will come out to say something bad about him. He either hates Yao or hates Chinese in general. This is pretty much embarrassing for a person to keep hating a player for a long time. Simply look at the poll, then figure it out the result, there is no much argument here.

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Tmac was compared to Kobe when he was healthy. Whole point in this thread is that If he is healthy, otherwise there is no much comparsion to compare a injured player to a healthy player.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Having watched Yao's entire career with the Rockets, it's tough for me to judge based off a "fully healthy" Yao. There was stretches where he was just a beast, but overall (so far) I think Howard makes a bigger impact on the team.

Yao could go down and we would still win regular season games. In terms of the playoffs, and being at that game 7 vs. Utah and seeing him unable to contain Boozer and get rebounds, it's hard for me to imagine that if we had today's Dwight in Yao's place we would still lose that series.

That being said, Yao was an amazing player who I think very highly of.

18. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

It's the matchup issue against Boozer. Lebron would get killed by AB if he try to guard quick PG's. Boozer is a jump shooting PF, we have Yao guarding him is a total mismatch due to lack of good supporting cast.

19. arjun

arjun Member

actually i think it was okur that was the problem...okur on the jazz forced us to put yao on boozer.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well, that's another reason why I think overall Howard is better, because he's quicker and more athletic and can guard more guys. The only guy he had trouble with was Yao (ironically enough) but judging based off head to head matchups is just silly.

If we did that, then Al Jefferson would be considered better than Yao (LOL). He used to kill Yao. But it's just one matchup, there are 82 games in a season.