1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Our starting lineup for 2006-7

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

PG - Alston
    SG - Tmac
    SF - Battier
    PF - Howard (UGH)
    C - Ming

That is a LOT better than this years, and can be competitive, now if we can get Mike James and maybe Radmonivich or Wilcox we will be pretty well set, maybe one more SG too.

But, I think that is a team that can compete with anyone in the league.

DD

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

So it's really Battier in and Wesley out. I don't see how that's a lot better. i don't see how Battier is even a lot better than Keith Bogans.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I think Battier will play SG and T-Mac the SF.

I also think that was part of the consideration in not keeping Gay; we wanted someone to play the 2 so T-Mac could play the 3.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

We need to demand Memphis throws in Warrick to replace Swift. We're already a team lacking depth so a 2-for-1 does us no good. At the very least, Swift and Warrick are similar players so we can utilize and develop Warrick off the bench.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I also like that the primary PF backup would be Chuck Hayes instead of Stromile Swift, as the roster stands right now. That's also an improvement. Plus, Novak could be a Scott Padget-type that was missing last year.

We are definitely improved after tonight. I don't know ... it seems like we could have gotten more for Gay and Swift. I hope there's more to the trade.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Depth is still a major problem, as is outside shooting. If we can get some athletic (semi at least) guys off the bench that can hit some open 3's, we might be okay.

And as much as I love him, Chuck Hayes as the only other PF scares the hell out of me...especially if we have to play a San Antonio or a Dallas.

Battier is a step-up from Wesley, but we still have a lot of holes to fill. And I think we gave up too much for Battier

But the starting lineup does look better.

7. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Either way works, I think they will rotate based upon matchups.

And Battier is a MASSIVE upgrade over Wesley.

48% FG
    40% 3pt shooter
    5+ rebounds a game
    Good defender
    High BBall IQ

He is a great addition to the team, I was not upset in the least about trading Gay for him, but think Swift is too much.

However, the more I think about it, the Rockets must think Swift is garbage to toss him away so easily, maybe they are going after a FA PF.....and this way we get to see Hayes play more and he was more productive anyway.

DD

9. durvasa

Wow. He is MUCH better than either of those players. Check the advanced stats over at basketball-reference.com and 82games.com and you'll see why.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

can someone clarify something for me? did we really trade Rudy Gay AND Stromile Swift for just Battier, or am i missing something?

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

For what it's worth, I'd have been even angrier if they had drafted (and kept) Reddick with Gay availabe. :D

Hopefully they'll work something out to bring a marquee name over here. Because even though that's not a bad lineup, it's not the lineup of a champion, and the team still seriously lacks depth.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

This also weakens Memphis for the next couple of years, which helps us out too.

We have 4-5 years of Tmac, IMHO, this gets us a lot closer to winning it all, and with some other solid FA acquisitions, we could be contenders THIS year, assuming Tmac and Yao stay healthy.

DD

13. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Yeah, they compare him to Mike Dunleavy, Bison Dele and Malik Sealy. Booked your tickets for the NBA Finals yet?

14. 20211

20211 New Member

JH will be deal ...........may be

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You honestly think that picking up Swift, Gay, and Lowry, and giving up Shane Battier is going to weaken Memphis?

You don't think that if Gay comes anywhere near reaching his potential, that we could've been looking at a dynasty?

16. durvasa

Battier can play SG, SF, and even PF if we go small. I think Ronnie Brewer would have been a better fit, personally, but I guess the Rockets wanted to go with someone more experienced who is guaranteed to positively contributed right from the start.

I think if we can add Mike James and maybe pick up another wing player (Bogans isn't going to cut it), then the roster is looking pretty good. Move Chuck Hayes into the starting lineup, and bring Juwan off the bench, and I think we have a very solid rotation.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

oh god nooooooo!!!

18. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I posted this on another topic.

Not optimistic that this is going to turn out well. Swift was our only viable trade option. We just increased our pay role and subtracted one player. Not that Lucas Jr. and three more of his D-league buddies wouldn't look great in a Rockets uni, but I was expecting to get better not worse over this draft!

We won't have the money to bring in two of these guys James, Radmon, or Wilcox. Plus who is our back up Point Guard? James maybe, Alston if James is here. Who is our real SG and back-up, Spanoulis? T-mac won't want to guard most 2's. There have to be more moves, cause this is not going to work.

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

I’m thinking the Rockets envision Battier being that 4 that spreads the floor, rather than a 2/3. A power forward rotation of Howard/Novak/Hayes just isn’t going to cut it. Plus, I really don’t like the thought of Battier or Mcgrady chasing around 2 guards like Wade all over the court. We need more speed on the perimeter than Battier can provide. We also need more ballhandling in the backcourt and Battier isn’t much of a ballhandler.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm happy withthe addition of battier. he is a major upgrade over wesley for sure. this helps our defense, rebounding, athleticism, and even shooting.

we must be getting something else back if swift is involved in the deal.

yao-deke
    jho-hayes
    tmac-novak-bowen
    battier-head-sura
    alston

we could sign MJ with the MLE but we need a F/C. if yao or deke go down we would be the smallest team in the league.