1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Our posible Center position, Fabricio Oberto?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocoRocket, Jun 20, 2007.

1. RocoRocket

RocoRocket Member

From what I read our Centers Mutombo and that other dude, whats his name Tsalidis? are free agents this year. If they go else where, would the Rockets be able to land Fabricio Oberto from the Spurs? I read he is a restricted free agent this year. I think he would make and excellent back up for Yao, and fit Ricks system well. Hes got skills .540% FG%, .615FT%, has a hi B-ball IQ, can pass, hustles, plays ok defense and rebounds. Best of all, he can score in bunches if given the opportunity. What would the Rockets have to do to land him?

2. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

yeah thatd be great and everything, but good luck gettin him from san antonio.

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

Pay him more than he's worth?

4. RocoRocket

RocoRocket Member

I think hes playing for SA very cheap because SA originally wanted the PF Scola. Scola could not get out of his euro contract, so they signed Fabricio because Manu wanted him. How much more would we have to pay to get him?

5. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

He averages a BLAZIN 4.4 ppg and he's 32. Reminds me of Juwan Howard except he's foreign so people automatically think he has some untapped potential, but he's 32. Personally I would pass on him and get someone younger, just cause he was on the Spurs doesn't make him that great.

6. roooshi

roooshi Member

Dude what are u talking about. Mutumbo is coming back to ONLY the rockets. They arnt going elsewhere, i think thats pretty clear now.

7. RocoRocket

RocoRocket Member

Ok...thats fine..... If the Rockets think they can win with a 40 something Mutombo sitting on the bench, then more power to them. Just hope Yaos toe stays healthy :rolleyes:

I would sleep better at night knowing my 32 year old cousin Fabricio would come off the bench during Yaos game breaks. Like I said hes got hi bball IQ, can pass, cut to the basket, and can score in bunches if asked to. :cool:

Manu brought him to the NBA to get recognised and I really dont think Fabricio is in SA's long term plans. He can be had for the right price , still cheap, me thinks.

8. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

mt. mutombo is the best backup C in the league... he's better than Oberto, he just can't play as long because of his age.

9. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Mutumbo has good defense and gets timely rebounds, but I worry that he can't do it anymore next year

Oberto can really flourish under Adelman's system, but when we have Yao already, its probably best to focus on another position.. (like PF)

10. RocoRocket

RocoRocket Member

ok... so if by chance Yao is out for a month we will have the best shot blocker/ rebounder in the leage playing for a few minutes. How will Mutombo or that other stiff Tsalidis fit in Ricks new system? They are slow and clumsy, Fabricio is alot quicker than them and just as smart as Vlade. :cool:

Just like Bruce Bowen said during the Spurs championship celebration " the guy (Fabricio Oberto) has this uncany ability to be in the right place at the right time making the right plays"

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no way he leaves the spurs.

12. tuus

tuus Member

Real Madrid wants to make real hard play to get him this summer.

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Good luck getting him away from Spurs and hometown Boyfriend GiNOBLEY!

14. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Really, he wants to leave the NBA to play for Madrid? Maby, he said: "I won it all in the NBA, why staying?" :D

15. Barkley

Barkley Member

He hasn't won MVP yet so he will stay :D

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

you watch the finals? oberto was just a rebounder. he would always tip the ball to the point guard. also, he had some moves that he showed, in the playoffs. hes fine for a backup center, but doubt we'll ever get him.

17. rocketsfaninsa

hahaha, and Oberto is not clumsy? I watched all of the spurs playoffs games over here in s.a., and Oberto blows. You're using his FT stat to convince people, and he shoots a lower percentage than Duncan....
    Mutumbo 2007 stats: 55.6% FG, 69% FT, 3.1 pts, 6.5 rbd, 1 block in only 17 minutes per game.
    Oberto 2007 stats:56.2% FG, 64.7% FT, 4.4 pts, 4.7 rbd, 0.3 blocks also in 17 minutes per game.
    Mutumbo is eight years older than this guy, and his numbers are better. And I don't remember any games where Oberto rebounded more than 15. I remember several, including the Nuggets game in which he boarded 22. Mutumbo is a better back up.
    You say you're a rockets fan.... don't dog on Mutumbo, that guy has better morals than anyone in this league. At least he spends his money on health care, and not at a strip bar "making it rain" dollar bills like the Pacman.

18. toby

toby Member

Um, No.

I would shoot myself if anyone on the current spurs roster ends up on the rockets . . .

19. MONON

MONON Member

Oberto would be a good fit here especially if Adelman plans to use Yao in a high post. Oberto does the same thing with Duncan in SA. He has 1 year(2.5m) at his option left on his contract.

Now he is a starting C playing with his friend and countryman on the NBA championship team that will contend for 4 or more years to come. WHY does he want to leave the Spurs?? :confused:

By the way, the Spurs will give him a longer contract if he wants it.

20. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

i tried man i tried, sleep always got the best of me there. plus they were playing the Cavs that doesn't prove much for Oberto.