1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Other than Dwight Howard, is Morey any good at chasing free agents?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey loses out on yet another important free agent, Danny Granger. He tends to do this a lot. Why is this?

Does he not relate to players? Does he have a reputation of tarting players like assets?

Having a charismatic recruiter like Doc Rivers and Pat Riley seems to be important in getting not only elite stars but also the "ring chaser" veterans. Les Alexander should hire one of those to supervise Morey.

1 person likes this.
  2. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

DM has done a decent job so far, but until he brings a championship to H-town, he will always be just that.

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Had to drug his ass with the poison pill!

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

He gets Aaron brooks every other year.

4 people like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey is attracted to numbers not names. Remember Josh smith? He wanted to be a Rocket but Morey didn't want him. Morey lost that one Carl?

He sees numbers and wants those players on his team. I think he also wants to leave this team to it's own when it comes to chemistry.

#6 REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

uh oh. here we go.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Do you actually believe that Granger is "important"?

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only thing Carl holds "important" is trolling,

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes and No...

He's failed at big name agents like Bosh, Howard@Magic (forced that trade here to go bust), and Melo.

Middle tier is kinda different...he signed Ariza, who came fresh off a noticeable finals appearance plus higher offers, at a lower contract. Omer and Lin were risky decisions.

I think some of this is tempered by his reputation, who doesn't seem hesitant to sacrifice chemistry of mediocre teams with bigger risks. I don't see why a FA or his agent would want to deal with Morey, armed with stats, and know they're gonna get an equal or potentially raw deal compared to some chump GM who could squeeze another million or two just because the GM likes the person.

Plus, the experience of known vets signing for lesser money here doesn't really end well for the player from a personal standpoint. They generally get traded or walk regardless if they play well or not. It's because those players are a bargain by virtue of their contracts and become "double plus" assets if they're actually serviceable or better.

Parsons could conceivably become the exception because he's actually worth it on several tangible and intangible categories, but he's not ironclad here even if he would be on some other team run by a GM who plays favorites.

Whether you call "loyalty" an intangible quality or merely a sentiment, I don't think Morey throws that word around lightly (he frames it differently or through a different code) or as ostensibly as other GMs.

Despite this, I think that the Rockets chemistry and success will attract the attention it deserves and that factor will be a point of negotiation Morey will definitely continue to leverage.

So the very fact that Murley's a genus works and hurts him depending on how the team performs.

11. rocketblood713

Fire Chubby Cheeks

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

He also likely can get Camby TWICE in a single year, if that one thread on the front page is to be believed. That's what I call elite GMing.

13. Swedish_Rocket

Not really...We got lucky with Dwight. It took some persuasion by Beard and ChandlerBang for us to land him

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Rockets need to do more before they start getting those FAs....that's why you mostly hear about the Spurs, OKC, and the Heat. The Clippers, meanwhile, have an edge over us when it comes to location and PT. We'll get them after this year.

That being said, cyberx said we dropped out of the running anyway..

15. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Morey's performance:

Cassbi
    Gasia
    Brewer
    Camby
    Canna
    Covington
    AB

No one can be championship role player....
    No one player's salary is over 2 million dollars...
    Morey is really saving a lot of money for the boss....
    Nice Job!!!

16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Howard has ever said he comes to Houston because of Morey is here ???

17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Other man's wife is looking like angel

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Tell me you are joking. :mad:

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Sorry for my spelling. But it always happens when you spell other team crappy player's name.