1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

"Oppressed" looters getting back at society

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Faos, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'm glad these hurricanes have been staying away from H-town.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/katrina_...dQYc0Gs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

By ALLEN G. BREED, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 26 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - With much of the city emptied by Hurricane Katrina, some opportunists took advantage of the situation by looting stores.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86! 86!" — the radio code for police — and the crowd scattered.

Denise Bollinger, a tourist from Philadelphia, stood outside and snapped pictures in amazement.

"It's downtown Baghdad," the housewife said. "It's insane. I've wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not."

Around the corner on Canal Street, the main thoroughfare in the central business district, people sloshed headlong through hip-deep water as looters ripped open the steel gates on the front of several clothing and jewelry stores.

One man, who had about 10 pairs of jeans draped over his left arm, was asked if he was salvaging things from his store.

"No," the man shouted, "that's EVERYBODY'S store."

Looters filled industrial-sized garbage cans with clothing and jewelry and floated them down the street on bits of plywood and insulation as National Guard lumbered by.

Mike Franklin stood on the trolley tracks and watched the spectacle unfold.

"To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society," he said.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I've always felt that the French Quarter resembled downtown Baghdad...

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

She probably would have said that flood or no flood after a night in the French Quarter.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Walgreens? I'd head straight for the car dealerships.

5. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I'd head straight for a boat dealership. You'd get farther these days in New Orleans with a boat then a car.

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

In the grand scheme of things, if people are taking groceries, who cares. There is no running water. The Red Cross is having trouble getting into town. Maybe the folks just want a Twinkie and a Pepsi.

7. Baqui99

Agreed. But I'll do you one better. If they are taking 42" plasma tvs, who cares? The insurance companies will cover them anyways.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly, not condoning looting at all but what do you expect especially since a lot of people who are left in the city couldn't afford to get out in the first place.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and no one can get in to help them either. like you, i don't think it's right. but i'm not surprised in the least.

now if you're taking DVD players, that's another story.

10. flamingmoe

flamingmoe Member

If it was me trapped, no supplies, no help, no clean water, my family hungry, I'm looting (food) like crazy I'm sorry

but jewelry and TVs? no, thats not right

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree. i couldn't blame anyone for that.

12. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

I hope these people also looted themselves some birth control.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

You sir, are a jack ass!

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. vwiggin

I agree with some people here that the looting is justified if they are taking things out of necessity, like water or produce.

But I have no sympathy for these people:

It is tough to swim in jeans, so I hope natural selection take its course.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

State and Federal agencies should have gotten all these people out of the Bowl and out of harm's way hours before the storm even hit. Plasma TV's and jewelry stores I can understand, but to police them now for breaking into a delicatessen or looting aquafina is quite puzzling.

17. Baqui99

I heard Cedric Benson was found at a New Orleans Best Buy in search of a plasma tv.

18. vwiggin

*sigh*

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It ain't right, but it ain't that wrong. All that stuff is ruined anyway and those people's whole world has been destroyed, they are in shock. And yeah, blacks have been oppressed, I'm old enough and from the south so I know that is a fact. If they hadn't been, they probably wouldn't have gone crazy quite that way, but you can't blame them for going crazy, just pity them.

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

"these people?" Given that every person I saw on the news was black, I'm going to assume you saw the same/similar reports I did.

So...you said you hope "these people" steal some birth control? What kind of talk is that?

I repeat...you sir, are a jack ass.

#20 krosfyah, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2005