1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Opinion] Restoring the Legitimacy of the Federal Reserve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

A good critique on how to make the securitized banking system less risky at the expense of strengthening the Fed's image.

http://baselinescenario.com/2012/09/20/restoring-the-legitimacy-of-the-federal-reserve/

I'm not sure what the author refers to as 'megabank' but there is a need to increase the capital requirements for banks when they hold non-U.S. federal government debt securities. The subprime market wasn't big enough on its own to bring down the financial system, but packaged into securities and sold along with default swaps (when necessary) it was the witches brew of 'oh ****'.

Good timing for the article, JPMorgan has been touting an idea called collateral transformation during the comment period. The idea is that banks can swap risky securities for no-risk securities; this way they would not have to lend risky securities for cash and then lend cash for no-risk securities. Collateral transformation eliminates the middle-man (rehypothecation); it doesn't address the issue that the 'oh ****' moment for the mortgage-backed securities market (and default swaps) was when rating agencies began to down-grade the mortgages and MBS.

So here we go with the politics of it all:

The Republicans don't like Bernanke because his inflation policy is 'helping' Obama win votes.
    The Democrats want the Fed to reduce unemployment by increasing inflation.
    Does either party want to address anything but political policies that would help them get elected?

2. Major

Major Member

Isn't this basically the US implementation of Basel III?

3. Cohete Rojo

If you are refering to the recourse rule then this Basel III would just be an extension. How good are these ratings agencies at rating? S&P threw a hissy-fit when the US SEC put them under invistigation by down-grading US federal debt.

Point is, during Jamie Dimon's (JP CEO) explanation of collateral transformation he stated that there is not enough high-grade debt. Does this Basel III address rating regulations? Seems to me that the CEO of the biggest clearinghouse just implied that rating standards needed to be fine-tuned.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pretty lame state of affairs when reducing unemployment and making Americans better off is described as a petty "political " goal.

5. Major

Major Member

Sorry - I was just referring to increasing capital regulations on the largest banks. My understanding is that's part of the Basel III agreements.

6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

This is correct. Basel III essentially reconciles the difference between different phases of implementation of II and I, and resolves some key issues around II; namely, the calculation of risk-weighted assets are not concentrated with credit rating agencies, and the buffers are significantly higher.

However, there are two key problems with Basel III---it's still based on the same risk-weighted clusterf**k that led to banks chasing a bunch of exotic derivatives to try to hold as much "quality" leverage as possible (essentially trying to run circles around of regulators to take on more risk), and its' implementation is at risk from the fact that all of the developed nations are playing hot potato with it until their banks are stronger. If it was implemented now in full force in Europe, for example, recap needs would have skyrocketed.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-billion-basel-iii-capital-gap-last-year.html

7. Northside Storm

Basel III has a host of problems. But it's a significant upgrade with this regards from II.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmtreasy/writev/1866/cra16.htm

Basically, it's now a mix of regulators, the banks themselves and CRAs that determine risk-weighted assets. That has problems in its' own, but it's probably better than just leaving the CRAs to do it.

8. Northside Storm

The author is probably referring to the banks deemed systematically important in the global economy---your regular cast of motley characters.

Of those, I'd say the two investment banks that became Fed-backed bank holding companies (GS and MS) and JPM, due to its' critical role in most aspects of the American economy (including being a Fed primary dealer, having their chairman sit on the NY Fed's board, and its' position as being one of the two firms that is a clearing banks in the repo market, high market cap and etc.) merit special scrutiny.

Capital requirements are a great sentiment for the path forward. But it's not the only thing that should be examined. And it's also important to maintain these regulations for the long term rather than implement them for the present, since the banks have, after being spanked by 2008, done some self-regulation, at least on this point (leverage ratios these days are actually quite low.)

[​IMG]

We've got bigger problems here, a whole mass of incentives gone wrong.

[​IMG]

9. Cohete Rojo

Are you referring to commission fees for the clearing house? I think fees are what lead JP and Bank of NY to become the two biggest clearing houses. Fees also motivated AIG to create over $100 billion of default swap exposure.

What other issues do you find important besides capital requirements? Personally, I take issue with the Fed discountinuing M3 after the 2005 bankruptcy law that treats MBS like US treasuries in the event of bankruptcy - they become property of the buyer (I imagine the same applies to cash).

Banks are no where near as leveraged as they were 5 years ago, but that's after consistent ratings downgrades, bail out funds, quantitative easing, other loans, sovereign debt crises abroad, and banks putting their risky assets in Fed/FDIC insured bank accounts.

This tells me the bulk of economic growth from the past decade came from debt-financing (consumersim) backed by credit-rating agencies. As long as Americans have good credit they can buy goods from abroad with those dollars.

10. Northside Storm

I'll try answering your first two questions in one shot.

My reference was really to JPM's position as a clearing bank in the repo market (not the incentives that led to it). This role, alongside its' other roles, makes it nigh-invincible, because if JPM were to fail, the repo market would probably fail too. This marks JPM's position as a "megabank". Until issues like this are rectified, the Fed will back JPM to the hilt, and smart money knows this (subsequently credit and risk measures of JPM factor this into account)--->you get a too big to fail FDIC-insured, Fed window taking institution that somehow still manages to make "whale" CDS trades.

Which gets to an issue of concern a lot of securities regulators are up in arms about---the American repo market system and its' faults.

The full formal report from the BIS, if interested; http://www.bis.org/publ/cpss91.pdf

The summary---

http://repowatch.org/2012/03/06/part-2-are-jpm-and-bony-the-best-we-can-do/

Issues like this that call not just for expanded rules but a re-think of the American financial system are also key as well.

With regards to M3, I do think the Fed should re-publish that as well, although I think everyone has a general gist that the money supply is expanding.

I'm in agreement with your second point; I don't think for a second that the banks wouldn't re-leverage again if they had the climate to do so. That's why capital requirements have to be thought out in terms of a system that can continually work and innovate to address new changes decade-to-decade or sometimes year-to-year. America kinda lost the boat on that after the 1970s, and it really hurt in the end.

As for your last point, that gets exactly to what I wanted to show; a perverse set of incentives from banks, governments, hell foreign governments (here's looking at you, weak yuan China), to get Americans to spend, spend, spend, and leverage themselves to get off the declining economic curve down and for bankers to score personal gains. I'm a proponent of paradox of thrift, but at the same time, America just took that way the hell the other way. This should be a more pressing issue than government debt in isolation (which is just trying to cushion losing all that private debt that bubbled up).

11. Cohete Rojo

Here is how I see it:

Buyer and Seller in a tri-party repo get to buy on margin, increasing their leverage. The seller also has its junk bond swapped for something of value, increasing the buyer's leverage.

Meanwhile, the clearing house holds onto the junk bond, provides a credit worthy security and provides cash. The clearing house charges two fees that are higher than the single haircut in a two-party repo.

So JP wants to convince regulators this will be o.k. because the higher fees will be used to insure the junk bond. Does the clearing house have any right to use the junk bond it receives during the lending period, must the junk bond be placed in a Fed insured account?

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I've always found it odd that a quasi-govt entity has been given the task of keeping unemployment low by the government.