1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opinion: 8th Seed or Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AmirN, Nov 24, 1999.

1. AmirN

AmirN New Member

I don't know this may be a no brainer, but on the contrary to what some people may think I would rather be a lottery team, than suffer an early round playoff exit. I am not exactly sure who is available nexy year draft wise, but I would sure like to see the rockets get another guard, perhaphs Ed Cota. Any how I think a Lottery position would serve this team better then a 8th seed playoff position would. If we were to make the playoffs we would only be upset by a team such as San Antonio, or Portland. However Losing is always tough and I am not sure if I can handle a WHOLE season full of losses, but then again pulling off a "San Antonio" Would be kinda nice, what was it one season they were lottery then two years later they are NBA Champions, but when you think about it they did have an excuse (Robinson was injured). What is ours? and What is yalls opinion, Lottery or Playoffs? Also do you think anything above 8th seed is concievable.

- Amir

2. PhiSlammaJamma

If I had my choice, I'd take the 8th spot so that we could kick Portland's *ss in the first round. The way I figure it, if we make the 8 spot we will have played some damn good basketball and should be feared come playoff time. However, and in spite of my hopes, it looks like we're headed to the lottery. We need to draft the best player available no matter what position they play.

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

First of all, if we are the 8th seed and get beaten, the Rockets wouldn't be upset; only Rockets fans [​IMG] but that is just semantics. I would definately prefer a lottery pick to an early exit from the playoffs as ANY numbered seed. I don't think that looking at the talent in the West we have any chance of making the finals and since that is the ultimate goal of the playoffs, I would have to vote for a lottery pick.

------------------
    The truth is out there... but not in the post.

[This message has been edited by Mulder (edited November 24, 1999).]

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's not a fair question, when you ask "would you rather be in the lottery or lose in the 1st round." In that case, there is still the possibility of "winning the lottery" and picking up the #1 overall pick.

But if the comparison is to be accurate, then ask whether you want to be the #8 seed (making the playoffs, with a chance to pull a Denver of a few years back, or even be the Knicks of last season and make the finals.
    Compare that to being the 9th-best team, with 1 in a million shot at winning the lottery, and I'd take the playoff berth any day. Not much difference between the #14 and the #15 pick in the draft.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

8th seed.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Unless we're one of the three worst teams, 8th seed.

What's the big difference between a 14th pick or a 11th pick, especially when you still have a chance to win it all?

7. CaucasionSensation

I'm ready to play the lotto. Because the only point in going to the playoffs is experience, especially when we have no chance in winning there. Bring me a young buck.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Between a playoff berth and a lottery pick? You've got to be kidding... with the way the team is playing now, there's no way I want into the playoffs "for experience". All we're going to experience is a sweep. If play improves, I may change my opinion... of course if play doesn't improve, we won't have to worry about a playoff berth.

By the way, wasn't Orlando near the bottom of the lottery order when they won Shaq or Penny?

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited November 24, 1999).]

9. M-&-M

M-&-M Guest

The goal is to make the playoffs and win try to win a title. Or at least should be. I will always take a playoff spot over a lottery pick.

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

While I'd love to see the boys pull off an 8th seed berth, at this rate it's "Look out Lotto, Here we come!"

------------------
    Proud Father of the Rockets' future point guard.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I aggree with Sam.

I would much rather have the future of our team get some playoff experience.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Shaq was the 1st pick in the draft. Penny was the 3rd pick in the next year's draft. (Orlando originally drafted Chris Webber with the 1st pick and then traded him to Golden State for Penny and 3 future first rounders..)

13. DaneB

DaneB Member

I agree with the majority of you guys, that the lottery may be the way to go. But, if I remember right we gave up our first round pick to the Grizzlies in the Francis trade. Also, if we end up making the Playoffs, imagine how well our team would have to be playing to get up to 500.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

CabbageNoggin,

I should've stated that differently... it was confusing... what I meant to state was that wasn't there a team that had the least chance of winning the #1 pick but got the first or second pick? Can't remember... something like they should've gotten the 8th pick based on odds, but got a pick MUCH higher...

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...