1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open QB competition

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 27, 2014.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

When? At pick 33? I prefer a no-doubt fix to one of our OL positions and a fulfillment of our Samoan quota (goodbye Shiloh Keo!) in one fell swoop. Even Garoppolo is not a sure thing. S'ua Filo has much more of a chance to be an above average player at his position than Garoppolo does at his. And Savage's chances are not that much less than Garoppolo's to pan out. In both cases you're taking a lotto ticket as your selection. The Patriots are the sort of the club that has organizational security to make that kind of move, in the second round no less. But if you ask them what happened to their last lotto ticket in the third round (Mallett), they would probably tell you that it was a failed proposition. They admitted as much when they drafted Garoppolo. Can't have two lotto tix. Sorry Belichek.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

TJ Yates surprises everybody and wins, but it's because of how terrible our QB situation is.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

I think they will have a top 10 pick so it just depends on how many teams ahead of them need a QB.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Toward the end . .. I started feeling it was more Kubiak than anything
    He was predictable and inflexible

Rocket River

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I think Garopolo had a much higher chance. Hence his getting picked in the 2nd round. It's a big difference.

Also QB is a much bigger need for us.

6. meh

meh Member

Open competition is just a roundabout way of saying Fitzpatrick is the starter without pissing off fans that want Keenum or Savage in there immediately. It would be quite difficult to imagine Fitz not being the best QB at least to start the season.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I will be surprised if Fitzpatrick doesn't open game 1. IIRC, his tendency is to start out strong for a few games and then the bottom will fall out during the season. He also has the advantage of being the veteran and will learn BOB's offense faster than the other guys. Whenever he hits the wall, hopefully someone else will be ready.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A lot of people got alot of confidence in Keenum

Hell . . . TJ looked good when he went in 'unprepared'
    after being 'prepared' by Kubiak . . . he looked hen pecked and timid

Rocket River

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Teams adjusted and found their weaknesses

10. solid

solid Member

And the Texan "brain trust" couldn't come up with effective counter moves.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I think that's an accurate indictment of Kubiak as a coach. Both Yates and Keenum looked better before Kubiak has more time with them. I think when both guys were getting ready for their first start and there wasn't much time, they gave in and altered the scheme a bit to make them look good, once they had a couple starts under their belt Kubiak abandoned what was working in order to try and force them to be more like the QB he wanted them to be, more like Schaub.

12. Progs

Progs Member

I believe Keenum will start. BOB will see the fire and energy he can bring to the team. He's got that special trait coaches like O'Brien like.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I agree with everything you stated except the failed proposition part. Here is what Coach BB had to say about Mallet. Like he stated Mallet can't get on the field because of Mr. Reliable Healthy Tom Brady. Has nothing to do with any failed anything. LOL

http://www.patriots.com/news/blog/a...-Mallett/14240091-0775-4eff-837c-19d26f66e7e7

Bill Belichick appeared on Sirius XM NFL Radio Thursday night and did his best to put an end to the Mallett trade talks.

“That’s not really something we’re that interested in,” Belichick said. “Ryan has done a good job for us. Fortunately for our team, maybe unfortunately for Ryan, he hasn’t really had any playing time in the last three years. But he’s improved tremendously as a quarterback and as a football player, and we have a lot of confidence in him. But at the same time, he’s in the last year of a contract, and Jimmy was again a player we had with a high grade on. At that position, I just don’t think you can afford to pass up a player that you think has that kind of value.
    :cool:

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Kubiak was very controlling indeed. I remember one pressing conference were he said his plays could beat any defense. He only gave Matt two options.

Our failures were on both. ( QB's play and coaching).

Agreed it is not bad at all and we have a very favorable schedule. So if Fitz have some success this season, he will be the starter next season as well.

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

^this^

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is an "effective counter move" for Case Keenum can't pick up the blitz, or Matt Schaub can't throw more than 10 yards.

All of Case's success was a side effect of the fact that other teams had discovered they didn't have to worry about long passes - that they could funnel Schaub into playing dink-and-dunk because he couldn't go long.

Case looked good early because they were playing him like he was Matt Schaub. Blitz wasn't a great strategy against Schaub, because he'd dink-and-dunk either way. Until they got film on Case, they learned to attack him like an inexperienced QB, and he pretty much had to learn to pick up the blitz early, or he was done for.

The coach can't "game plan" around the fact that the QB can't see it is time to call for a hot route. The QB sees it, or he doesn't, and it is all on him.

17. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Fitzmagic takes us to the playoffs with the help of a suffocating defense and a power running attack led by Arian Foster and Andre Brown.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Um yeah Konserviak is known for qb improvision.

19. Raven

Raven Member

If the Texans use a high pick on a QB next year, it means they wasted a 4th rounder on Savage, which isn't "that" big a deal if picks 1-3 meet expectations. Honestly, it's all about Clowney. If he's a stud, everything else is gravy.

20. meh

meh Member

So even when he's not asked to do much of anything, the following still happened.

(A) Schaub was continuously treated as the franchise QB by Kubiak with whom he hitches his career wagon to, this despite the best QB in Kubiak history was the opposite of Schaub in Elway
    (B) Schaub was given a large contract extension by Rick Smith as he's about to enter mid-30s, coming off a major injury, and chosen by choice over even the possibility of Peyton Manning
    (C) Schaub apparently still throws Pick 6s in a system designed for him to not throw Pick 6s.

In other words, everyone sucks. Kubiak sucks. Rick Smith sucks. Matt Schaub sucks. I guess I should be happy that at least 2 out of 3 of them are gone.