1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[OOPS]Obama admits reference to Auschwitz was wrong

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROCKET RICH NYC, May 28, 2008.

1. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

In trying to get Jewish Votes...he lies about his uncle liberating the Aushcwitz camp. Unfortunately for him, history doesn't lie.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topN...?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Obama admits reference to Auschwitz was wrong
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrat Barack Obama admitted on Tuesday he was wrong to say his uncle helped liberate the Nazis' Auschwitz concentration camp after Republicans said Soviet troops freed the camp.

Obama's campaign said the candidate meant to say that his great-uncle, Charlie Payne, had helped liberate a part of the Buchenwald camp, not Auschwitz.

"Yesterday he mistakenly referred to Auschwitz instead of Buchenwald in telling of his personal experience of a soldier in his family who served heroically," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

Burton said in the statement that Obama's great uncle served in the 89th Infantry Division that entered Germany in 1945 and on April 4 overran Ohrdruf, a subcamp of the Buchenwald concentration camp.

Obama had made the Auschwitz reference in a Memorial Day speech on Monday.

More than 1 million people, most of them Jews, were killed at Auschwitz, an extermination camp in Poland. Buchenwald in Germany was mainly a forced labor camp, where some 56,000 people are believed to have died.

"I had an uncle who was ... part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps," Obama said.

"And the story in our family was is that when he came home, he just went up into the attic and he didn't leave the house for six months," he said.

The Republican National Committee quickly pointed out that the Red Army had liberated Auschwitz in 1945, not American forces.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No big deal.....

DD

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love the total and absolute disconnect between the thread title and the actual story. Very nice. Far more egregious and disingenuous than any accidental misstatement made by Obama.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

When I tell the story of my grandfather serving in the Pacific in WWII, I'm reasonably certain I don't have all the facts straight. I know at one point he carried a flamethrower, but I can't remember where it was exactly. It doesn't change the fact my grandfather served in the Pacific in WWII.

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Obama should have used the "misspoke" excuse. It would have been accurate in his case.

Nice job OP on the frank disengenuousness.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Likewise, I have been wrong about my uncle's involvement at Normandy before (he parachuted in behind the front-lines, he didn't storm the beaches). But if I were running for office, especially President, it would behoove me to get the story straight before trying to use it for political points.

7. ROCKET RICH NYC

I guess it's a non-story for a Harvard Grad to mistake his history and geography.

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/5/27/1719/01583

So the question was about his grandfather, but his answer included details about the military service of both his grandfather and uncle, and it was his uncle that he said helped liberate Auschwitz.

Now check out what he said in a speech in West Virginia in April: [Historic Obama speech Charleston Gazette (West Virginia) April 8, 2008, Tuesday, Lexis.com]

"My grandfather signed up for a war the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, fought in Patton's army. He saw the dead and dying across the fields of Europe; he heard the stories of fellow troops who first entered Auschwitz and Treblinka. He fought in the name of a larger freedom, part of that arsenal of democracy that triumphed over evil, and he did not fight in vain.

So, in April Obama said his grandfather heard stories from American soldiers who were the first to enter Auschwitz and Treblinka. Yesterday, he said an uncle of his helped liberate Auschwitz.

Obama does have a great-uncle and a great-great uncle as well as a grandfather from Indiana. Remember when he campaigned in Indiana and he took the press to the family homestead?

On Saturday, Obama made his first visit to an Indiana house built by a great-great-great-grandfather for a potluck dinner with neighbors. Obama's local patrimony was recently uncovered by campaign researchers, an aide said, and the candidate was uncharacteristically short on words about it. more stories like this
    "Look at this: the Dunham, uh . . ." he said, bounding off his bus toward the white clapboard house. After a long silence, he described it as a homestead.

From the Indianapolis Star, April 6, 2008:

One of his great-uncles, William Riley Dunham, was even a member of the state legislature. And, yes, he was a Democrat. The Dunhams moved to Indiana in the 1840s when the area was "nothing but wilderness and swamp," according to Carolyn Etchison, director of the Heritage Center at the Tipton County Historical Society. Obama's mom has Tipton County ties; Dunham family came to Indiana in 1840s; some moved to Kansas.

Of course, both Obama's great-uncle and his grandfather could have served in Patton's army. But neither would have heard stories about liberating Auschwitz from their fellow soldiers, let alone been a part of it.

The WaPo blog cuts Obama no slack over the error:

Granted, it is getting late in the campaign. The candidates are tired, and prone to making silly mistakes. Many Americans might have problems distinguishing Buchenwald from Auschwitz. But should we not expect more from a Harvard-educated presidential candidate? Is it too much to ask that an aspiring commander-in-chief knows (1) that Auschwitz (like many of the other Nazi death camps) is in Poland, and (2) that the eastern advance of the U.S. Army in World War II stopped on the river Elbe?
    Update: The Obama camp responds:

In fact, campaign spokesman Bill Burton says, his great uncle was a member of the 89th Infantry Division that liberated the Ohrduf camp, part of Buchenwald and, according to the Holocaust Museum, the first concentration camp liberated by U.S. troops. The soldier in question, Burton said, is Obama's grandmother's brother, who's still alive.
    "Senator Obama’s family is proud of the service of his grandfather and uncles in World War II – especially the fact that his great uncle was a part of liberating one of the concentration camps at Buchenwald. Yesterday he mistakenly referred to Auschwitz instead of Buchenwald in telling of his personal experience of a soldier in his family who served heroically," Burton says.

Okay. His great-uncle helped liberate one of the camps at Buchenwald while his grandfather heard stories from American soldiers about liberating people from camps, just not Auschwitz and Treblinka like he said. He got the names of the camps and the countries they were in mixed up.

Obama keeps fabricating family war stories who knows what other lies he is covering up.

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Confusing Auschwitz with Buchenwald is a lie? Are you 11?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

honestly, i wish all of them would squash. if you weren't there, don't talk about it unless you're talking about policy. we get it, we know you'r background. lets look forward. as far as getting it straight, no big deal. people are just so anal they have nothing better to do than fact check irrelevant political speeches?

10. rhadamanthus

Dude, if you're going to rail on Obama's minor slip of the tongue simply due to his education, you are officially barred from every complaining about anyone calling Bush the dumbest president in history.

My father-in-law went to harvard. I don't expect him to remember every minute detail, and he misspeaks all the time. Shocking, I know. :rolleyes:

11. rhadamanthus

I'd argue obama had the story straight - just a simple missfire, if you will.

12. ROCKET RICH NYC

"My grandfather signed up for a war the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, fought in Patton's army. He saw the dead and dying across the fields of Europe; he heard the stories of fellow troops who first entered Auschwitz and Treblinka. He fought in the name of a larger freedom, part of that arsenal of democracy that triumphed over evil, and he did not fight in vain.

So which is it? His Grandfather? or his Uncle? or his Granduncle? He can't seem to remember who entered Aushwitz? Oh wait, he didn't. Any 11 year old would be able to distinguish between an Uncle or Grandfather.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

As long as the Wilson/Roosevelt/Johnson legacy continues, and the Presidency is as powerful a position as it is, we need press looking at everything they or candidates do or say. We need reporters that care enough to check Bush's (and Obama's and McCain's) poop for what they ate. They gave up their right to "just eat their waffle" when they started usurping legislative, judicial, and State power.

14. flipmode

flipmode Member

a minor mis-step.

there's a big difference between:
    - recalling exactly which camp your great uncle was at 60-some years ago, before you were born, despite the story staying the same
    - embellishing what you yourself did 10 years ago in bosnia

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Talk about a total non story. I am sure everyone here never made simple mistakes in their live.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, OP, it looks like the mods agree that your original "Obama lies" thread title was absurd.

17. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where does he say his grandfather entered Auschwitz? Are you claiming something about that statement above is false?

#17 gifford1967, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  18. Major

Major Member

:confused: Where did he confuse or mix up his great-uncle and Grandfather? The mistake/slip of tongue/lie was in the name of the camp, as far as I can tell.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

it is so amusing to see the totally different reactions when Hillary says something factually wrong and when Obama does.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

saying your uncle didn't liberate one concentration camp, but actually another....

and saying that 10 years ago you came under heavy sniper fire when you very much didn't....

those are two very very different things.