1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ooma VoIP System

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Duncan McDonuts, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Anybody have one of these and use them?

I'm looking into it to use at home. Does it just connect through your modem? Are you able to connect it to a fax machine? How much data does it use? I'm using a FreedomPop WiMax router, getting around 3-5 Mbps and 10 GB of data. Should I have concerns about using too much data or losing connectivity?

Any help or opinions are appreciated.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We have one but we haven't used it. We recommend this product due to the cost. You simply plug it into your router and you're good to go.

The data use will depend on how much you use it and it uses very little bandwidth. The quality will depend on your internet service.
    You will be able to fax with the right equipment.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nero

Nero Member

when I was looking into getting VOIP, I decided on the NetTalk DUO.. once I was able to get UVerse to let my number port, I started using it, and it works very well. I think the total cost per year is like $39.. not 'free' like the Ooma, but also not $200 to start either.

1 person likes this.
  4. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

I've had one for about a year and its worked out great. Not sure how much bandwidth it uses, but I've never had an issue with it not working. They offer a premium package for $10 that gives you the ability to block numbers, automatically forwards the phone if the electricity goes out, and emails you your messages. The only thing that i had to change was my security system monitoring as they had to switch it to a cellular set up due to the monitoring at my house and needing a dedicated line to do that.

1 person likes this.
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Awesome. Ooma has lots of positive reviews and seems like the more popular choice, but the Nettalk seems to be equivalent yet much cheaper.

Ooma: $150 for the device, $3.50/month in fees
    Nettalk: $50 for the device, $29.95/year (1st year is free)

Is there a reason to go with the Ooma vs the Nettalk? This review says performance is comparable. http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/NetTalk+Duo+vs.+Ooma+Telo

Also, from what I can tell, you get one line with each. With Ooma, you can get a second line by paying for premium. How does that work with faxing? Is it a shared line to where you can't call/fax at the same time?

Thanks for all the help and reps to everyone.