1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Only 19 Theaters to Project Episode II Digitally

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Apr 30, 2002.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Member

Only 19 Theaters To Project Episode II Digitally

Despite George Lucas's best efforts to push digital projection, only 19 theaters will be showing his Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones using digital projectors when it opens on May 16, Wired magazine reported on its website Monday.

The 19 are: Harkins Arrowhead Cinemas 18 (Peoria, AZ); AMC Media Center 6 (Burbank, CA); Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21 Megaplex (Irvine, CA); El Capitan Theatre (Los Angeles, CA); Loews Century Plaza (Los Angeles, CA); AMC Mission Valley 20 (San Diego, CA); AMC 1000 Van Ness (San Francisco, CA); AMC Pleasure Island 24 (Lake Buena Vista, FL); AMC South Barrington 30 (South Barrington, IL); AMC Studio 30 (Olathe, KS); General Cinema Framingham 16 (Framingham, MA); Show Case Cinemas Randolph (Randolph, MA); Edgewater Multiplex Cinemas (Edgewater, NJ); AMC Empire 25 Theatres (New York); Clearview Ziegfeld Theatre (New York); Loews Cineplex E-Walk (New York); Cinemark at Valley View (Valley View, OH); Showcase Cinemas Springdale (Springdale, OH); Cinemark at Legacy (Plano, TX).

Lucas has said that no theater will be allowed to show Episode III unless it is equipped with digital projectors.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Kick ass! The Cinemark at Legacy in Plano, TX is the theater I go to! Now if only the movie doesn't suck ass. :)

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Yep...Plano's where I'm seeing it....after the hoopla dies down.

4. The Summit

The Summit Member

Could someone please refresh me on where Plano is? I am from Houston and currently in College Station. I would love to see Star Wars digitally there if it isnt too far of a drive.

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Member

Plano is a suburb north of Dallas.

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Member

I usually go to the Tinseltown in Plano since it's closer to my apartment, but I probably will go to the Legacy to see it on DLP.

It's my understanding that the Cinemark at Legacy is the only DLP cinema in Texas so far.

7. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Member

SWEEEEEEEEEEET! Lake Buena Vista. Not to far away. IM there.

8. haven

haven Member

For those who have seen digital movies before... how much of a difference does it make?

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

it is -- we're giving it a test run monday for spider-man, you know, to get the lay of the land, etc. i've only been there twice (memento and from hell). i usually hit tinsteltown, too; or stonebriar.

when do tickets go on sale?

10. Old School

Old School Member

I can hold out a couple weeks and check it out when I'm in Orlando the 1st of June at Pleasure Island.

Will it really make that big of a difference??

os

11. red

red Member

i dont know...go see it at tell us...

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

Plano?!?

Dammit...

13. mrpaige

mrpaige Member

What's the matter with Plano?

Stands to reason that Plano would have the first Cinemark theater with DLP since Cinemark is based out of Plano and all.

I almost went over there to see Ocean's 11 on DLP, but by the time I wanted to go, they were showing Return to Neverland digitally. Needless to say, I had no interest in that. And right now, The Rookie is taking up that theater screen.

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

It will probably be like DVD versus VHS, I imagine...

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

This sucks...I ain't going to freakin Plano just to watch Star Wars. Oh well.

Here's a good article on digital projection

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/pipeline/story/0,23008,2444106,00.html

with this excerpt in particular - i am just as concerned about the loss of true audio from having to watch it regularly (as Lucasfilms audio is always superb) as I am about the poorer video.

To examine the differences between film and digital more closely, Pixar did its own side-by-side comparison. Kinder observed that "Digital of course was much brighter, and sharper looking, and more colorful, and more accurate... and there was no grain, and there was no projector movement." The contrast ratio of digital projection, which is determined by measuring the brightest bright against the darkest dark was almost 1,000 to 1. Another factor contributing to the bright quality of digital is the lack of a fly wheel shutter. With film, the shutter intersects with film 48 times per second, or twice per frame, but with digital projection, the light is constantly hitting the screen.

But digital projection doesn't just improve the picture quality. Kinder described the audio as a clone of the final mix that was created by the film's sound designer, Gary Rydstrom, at Skywalker Ranch. "You're hearing exactly the same bits at 48 Kilohertz, 24 bit, 6 track discrete audio without compression."

However, digital did not always come out on top. Kinder shared one of digital projection's weaknesses. "The blacks don't quite match film. Film can actually do a better job of reproducing a completely dark screen."

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Just heard on the news that Cinemark in Plano will be showing an early airing of this film on May 12th. The catch is the cost is between $300 - $500 a ticket. Raising money for some noble cause.

What do you bet people are all over those tickets. To see it three days early, digitally, helping out a cause....awww man if I were a tad bigger fan....I would be all over that shiyat.......s...h...i....t.

Bunch of rich Plano folk adults/kids are going to be seeing it early...

There is a phone number. I don't know what it is. :)

Surf

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

We need another heroine craze...thin out their ranks a bit. ;)

18. Gascon

Gascon Member

:D

19. Band Geek Mobster

Well I'll be checking out the digital version in Orlando also...:p

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

no, that' good -- fewer people to contend with on may 16th.

anybody have any confirmation of a midnight show? i've heard yes and no...