1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One possibility if we keep all three choices

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Joe Fan, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

The Rockets do not want to take on three first round rookie salaries. But what if they can't get what they feel is fair value for one (or more) of those choices?
    They might take a player who they wouldn't have to sign til next year. A leading canidate might be this Greek fellow with the 23rd selection:

Lazaros Papadopoulos 7-0 227 C Iraklis (Greece) 1980 -- Starts for the national team of Greece. Technically sound, he can finish around the basket, rebound, and block shots. Maybe the best center in the country. Lacks explosiveness and quickness, makes it up with brains.

------------------

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

That name reminds me of a former co-worker. He was Greek. Anyway, he would always meet women at local bars, and he would say up front that he was from Greece (he had a bit of an accent).

Anwyay, when they got to introducing by name, he would say his name was:

Gus Up-the-poop-oulos

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread....just made me snicker.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

The Rockets holding all their picks is certainly a viable option. I have no problem with them holding on to the three picks and I certainly do not buy into the arguement about having too much rookie salaries.

First of all the rookie salary thing is setup for the teams really, so let the Rockets enjoy it. The key is whether we are getting value and with the quality of this draft there is no question of getting value for money big time. If the Rockets got Diop, Rad and Jefferson, why would we be concerned about the rookie salaries, especially with a team with so much cap room.

My bigger concern is for Collier and Langhi. Are those draftees better than these two guys? Can we expect that these two guys are going to make big contributions this year or are we likely to focus more on the draftees and have, let's say, all of them be in the regular rotation. My sense is we could say good bye to Langhi and Collier.

------------------

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DearRock-

Would you want 1/3 of your players (12+3 IR) being in their first or 2nd year? Because 3 rookies, and Collier would be just that.

First rounders cut into our cap, while 2nd rounders do not. My guess is that is part of the reason we didn't draft Rashard over Turkcan-we couldn't afford 3 first round contracts, and we were shipping Turkcan out anyhow. 3 first rounders will not be able to get minutes.

------------------
    "I think alot of people find Cato's game to be very offensive." -aelliott, comparing the offensive skills of Kelvin Cato and Michael Olowokandi

6. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

As a team with cap room, cutting into the cap should not be the critical issue. The Rockets took their time and accumulate these picks and now the draft is deep, they should capitalizeon it. Issues like can we contain Shaq and can we contain Kobe should be more paramount. Also can we allow our icon to stay where he belongs!

This is my logic. Pick Diop, Rad and Jefferson and have the following team:

Centers: Dream, Cato, Collier, Diop
    PF: Taylor, Thomas, Rodgers
    SF: Rad, Langhi, Bullard
    PG: Francis, Norris
    OG: Mobley, Jefferson, Williams

I do not know the cap rules but this should work depending on how much we pay Dream and Taylor. This team has everything you can ask for:

- interior scoring and defense
    - ball handling
    - speed
    - continuity and diversity at the center position
    - outside shooting
    - Rebounding, especially if Dream is able to play PF sometimes because of the projected development of DIOP (key against LA)
    - allows the Rockets to not rely on Dream too much and have him finish his career in Houston.

Taking the picks still allow us to pursue free agents. For instance we could substitute Webber for Taylor and Dream, etc.

------------------

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

So Brezec counted against the Pacer's cap last season?

------------------

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Found this--

From Larry Coon's FAQ's:

36. What if the team and player can't agree to a contract? What options does the player have?
    The player has several options. If he has not hired an agent and has not exhausted his college eligibility, he may return to school and play. Or, he may play in another professional league (such as in Europe). In either of these cases, the team that drafted him maintains his rights, and the player does not count against the team's team salary. (End of quote).

------------------

9. Colby

Colby Member

If we get Gasol, and he doesn't count against the cap, that would be great.

Also, what would happen if he joins us in march?

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

10. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Hey Hoop-T didn't you tell us about that story last year?

------------------
    Keep Mo Ta & get Ta Mo

11. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

DearRock wrote:
    " .... I certainly do not buy into the arguement about having too much rookie salaries ... "

Well, if you are a GM you must.

1. First Rounders are GUARANTEED their salaries, even if they don't pan out. That can be a hefty load.

2. As Nike pointed out if you have a third of your roster tied to first and second year men you are backloading your team's roster and increasing competitive risk. Ask the Clippers how successful that is.

3. Taking #2 a step further, a team with an abundance of first and second year players limits the effectiveness of the more experienced players and thus the success of the team, simply from spraeding the PT around. Either the kids play to get experience and demonstrate some of the "potential" talent, or they languish and take up a roster spot. Either way you pay them. Then .... and, this is far more important .... if the youngsters do get the experience, get their names in lights, get a couple of ESPN highlights a season, they scoot for the bigtime when they become free agents. Guess what the number one reason they giove for leaving their drafting team ..... give up ..... no, it's not the money, because invariably their home team can match the offer or better it .... no, the number one reason these young pups leave after being trained, personally coached, and after receiving tons of "gametime" experience that taught them the REAL game of pro B Ball is ..... they want to go to a more "successful team". Forgetting of course, that the reason they all are not on a successful team, is that the team loaded itself up on first and second year players and gave all of them the opportunity to "grow into their potential" while the team became less, and less successful.

Build a team by drafting College (and now Highschoolers) talent is not as easy (or, "correct") at it appears. Teams like the Clips, Vancover and Golden State have had multiple lottery picks over the last several years yet they still cannot build a competitive backbone. Chicago has had some fairly decent picks lately and will still languish in the cellar another couple of seasons. Want to guess the reason why?

Cheers.

------------------

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Actually no. I have never told that story to anyone outside of a drunken stupor in a bar here or there in Dallas.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.