1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Ollie to Rox?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jun 20, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ollie to Rox

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/204411p-176420c.html

Here's one on the table: Looking for a backup point guard, Houston gets Kevin Ollie from the Cavaliers via Charlotte, with the Rockets sending Eric Piatkowski through Charlotte to Cleveland. The Cavs signed Ollie to a $15 million deal last summer, then hardly played him. After making fewer three's than any other team (three per game) last season, the Cavs have identified long-distance shooting as one of their needs. Piatkowski will help in that area.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

um, I like it.

3. MONON

MONON Member

That sounds about right. The Rox paying 15m for a backup 1 that can't play for the Cavs! :rolleyes:

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lets look on the bright side:

a 6'4 defensive minded point, who doesnt turn the ball over. in exchange for a no defense, not so much offense can't find playing time pike.

now lets look at the dark side:p

we could've done so much better than ollie who is overpaid and can't shoot.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i forgot to add...

even though i am kinda happy about this move, here on the clutchfans BBS we like to greet every new aquisition by sarcastically proclaiming:

"SPLASH!!! :rolleyes: "

if i didnt do it someone else would. welcome to the rox kev!

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

maybe cd / jvg know something we don't. I actually trust them at this point, I think last year overall they did a great job. they essentially rebuilt the team in 1 offseason and made the playoffs, now they're retooling to contend for a title...they're actually in that position if they get tmac, which is looking more and more plausible everyday.

7. pickymen

pickymen Contributing Member

a 6'4 defensive minded point, who doesnt turn the ball over. in exchange for a no defense, not so much offense can't find playing time pike.

NBA website listed him at 6-2. I actually prefer McInnis, who's a better player than Ollie.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

addendum: ranks #11 in league in assist to turnover / ranks #18 in assist per 48 mins

I think they're planning on giving him major minutes. in fact they may even be considering him our starting pg if we trade steve.

that's actually a pretty badass backcourt. defensively at the very minimal (tmac + ollie)

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

one other thing. he shoots 44% from behind the arc.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Isn't this just a rumor? Y'all talk like it is official...

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I take on the table to mean, they're actually mulling it over, he didn't say it was a rumor.
    either way, just saying it sounds interesting if they actually do it.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

McInnes, who has been disliked by his teammates for years, found his home in Cleveland. I don't see Cavs letting him get away. If they allowed that I'd see it as a very red flag.

Ollie -- how would the deal work, (assuming Lawrence knows of what he speaks, of course)? Both teams give an incentive to Bobs to facillitate? Then acquire them thru TE from having Bobs pick them?

13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Wasn't the Rockets interested in him and Antonio Daniels last offseason, but they choose to sign with their respective teams?

#13 Dave2000, Jun 20, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ollie is a guy we wanted last year. He could work. Defense, long range shot.

Tmac is going to make anyone look better.

Also wish we would have gotten Antonio Daniels before Seattle did. He's got defensive skills. I think they want to keep him, now.
    They prefer that kind of offensive/defense pairing with Ray Allen even though Ray prefers running with Brent Barry.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice to have both Ollie and Barry !

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If there is one thing Ollie does NOT have, it is a long range shot.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

Its worse than I even thought. In 398 career games, he has made a TOTAL of 8 3 pters.

His A/TO ratio is good, but if he can't shoot, then I dont know what good he is to this team, especially locked in for 4 more years.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If we move Francis we will be in need of a PG for sure, and even a backup PG. Ollie has a big contract. I believe 15M over 5 years. That is Moochie money. Pike's contract is much shorter, 3years? I think we structured it to end at the time Cato's ended when Yao would be ready for an extension.

In terms of player for player (not taking into account salaries), moving Pike for Ollie would be a good move. It would be similar to what we did when we moved Moochie/Amechi for Spoon. We traded bad contracts back and forth but at least we got a player that PLAYED in our system. Its one thing to have a player with a bad contract, it is another to have a player with a bad contract that doesnt play! At least get a contributor. It is unfortunate that Pike failed here in Houston because his specialty is what this team needed, outside shooting.

So by getting Ollie, even though he has a bad contract, we would be getting someone that would probably contribute more than Pike. That's a plus.

But, I am not sold on Ollie though. He doesnt have a good outside shot and that is a concern, especially with this offense.

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

If he's got a bad contract and can't shoot the 3 then why do it? Not being able to hit the 3 sounds to me like he doesn't fit the system.

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

This is pure conjecture.

You would hope Rockets management has learned their lesson and not pay long contracts for backup players.

You would hope.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

The deal, IMO, is not helpful to the Rockets. Ollie is not a first-string PG. However, there may be an added caveat in the deal. What if the Rockets were taking Ollie's onerous contract from the Cavs because they were tossing in their #10 pick?

Cleveland has a solid, but developing lineup. They really don't need another youngster, especially at #10 in a very weak draft. The rumor is that Les Alexander told C.D. he could "buy" a pick -- could this be the pick?

I don't know. This is purely conjecture on my part.