1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OK, A question for we Rocket Fans who are kinda bored

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Olajumus Prime, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Olajumus Prime

What Rocket Players have you seen in person, and Where did you see them...

I will go first:

I have seen Clyde Drexler at Memorial Park several times, running, he usually would run the whole park like twice, which is about 6 miles total....sometimes he would only run it once..

(these arent Rockets, but other sports stars I have seen at Memorial Park were Houston's own champion Evander Holyfield, and the Washington Redskin's Dexter Manley)....

I have seen Robert Reid at Dave & Buster's...he looked sweet dude...light pink, daisy duke shorts, white socks all pulled up to his skinny knees, ol skool style....

I played in the downtown YMCA basketball league agains Rodney McCray, he was huge, but shot the lights out from Half Court...(talking sheeeot as well).....

I saw Cuttino Mobley at the Best Buy off of the 6 and Westeimer, he has huge hands, and they were filled to the rim with cds and dvds....(what a lucky b*stard)....he was skinny as can be, wearing gray warmup pants, with one leg rolled up, retro jordans, and some wife beater...he can style though....

alright , sorry I was bored , and so whose next????:D

2. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I saw Larry Smith at Fonde. I almost ran him over as he walked in front of my car. He had a huge smile on his face.

George Forman spoke at my middle school in the 80's when he was delivering dry cleaning for a living. This was before he made a comeback. Not quite a rocket but a famous Houstonian.

I saw Rudy T at an Italian Festival after the 2nd championship.

Phil Garner (formerly of the Houston Astros) used to shop at the grocery store I worked in as a kid.

Those are my sightings when I lived in Houston.

3. rocket b-liever

Evander Holyfield is from houston? Give me info

4. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Actually, he lives in ATL, but trains in Houston.

I saw him in 1998 at Hobby as he came off a plane while I was waiting for my grandmother (who never arrived). I thought it was him, but wasn't sure. Athletes really, really look differnt in person than on TV. But when I saw him giving an autograph to a young lady, I went over and said hey. Very nice guy. I even got a look at his ear (which looked no different than any other ear). Great guy. I got a picture with him too.

5. silent j

silent j Member

During the off-season after Rudy had taken over for Chaney and he was still "interim", My wife and I were eating lunch at the Black Eyed Pea on Richmond @610 ( I don't think it's there anymore) . Two tables over were Rudy, Charlie Thomas, Steve Patterson and another guy I didn't know at the time, but it turned out to be Bill Berry. I would have thought the old man would have sprung for something nicer than the Pea, I guess you don't get to be rich blowing money on interim coaches.
    j

6. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

Kelvin Cato, Moochie, Carlos Rogers, Matt Bullard-basketball camp
    Dan Langhi-The Galleria

My friend has seen Eddie Griffin at a gasoline station waiting for a wrecker because his escalade got a flat tire.

7. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

i almost walked into richard jefferson (i know, missed his shot at being a rocket) as he was going into a radioshack in downtown NYC.

i was going to try to play ball with yao mings dad (he has an open practice for anyone every weekend in a public park) when i was visitng shanghai but he left for the states a week before i got there. yeah, not a rocket, but considering our bench, it couldnt hurt to sign him.

8. g1184

g1184 Member

Trying to catch my connection in LAX i walked past a couple of "high rollers". i thought they were just kids all dressed up, but as i walked past them it happened to be Lebron James and his SaintVincent crew. They went to a McDonalds.
    not houston - but recent spotlight.

9. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I've played golf with Emanual Davis.

10. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I ride shotgun on drive-byes with Vernon Maxwell.

11. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

:eek:OMG!!!!!!!!!:eek:
    :D :D

12. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Where's that "best quotes on the BBS thread"? This might be around the level of "fomfotable" lol

13. westbury44

westbury44 Member

James Posey and Moochie Norris A day or 2 after posey got traded to Houston I saw him and his girl friend and moochie norris at the Cheese Cake Factory in the galleria. I saw moochie outside in his car and said hey and he drove off and sorta was like sup. And posey was in the restraunt with his girl friend eating so i asked the waiter if i could get his autograph, she had him sign a napkin for me.

Cuttino Mobley My friend saw him at Best Buy and asked him for his autograph. Cuttino said are you on the clock. My friend said yea. Cuttino said sorry cant give u one. My friend thinks hes an ass for that.

14. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

Saw John Lucas just yesterday @ Sharpstown.

15. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Maybe Mobes just didn't want your friend to get fired. It's not exactly the most professional thing to hassle a customer for an autograph. Some bosses, especially retail, might not look kindly upon it.

Or he didn't want it to look like he was scouting for freebees.

I'm sure he has his reasons. I think it's commendable for professional athletes to try to follow some code of ethics, or at least be aware of the consequences of their actions.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

No kidding.

LeBron got jumped on for that whole "take a picture with the owner of the store" ordeal.

Mobes knows how to play by the rules.

17. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

About a month ago I saw Moochie Norris at Fuddruckers. I noticed him walking in, but NOBODY else in the restaurant saw him the whole time he ate his ice cream sundae. I wanted to go say hi, but since no one else did it first, I didn't want to either. I thought it was funny how some guys wearing Rockets t-shirts walked right by him and didn't even notice him.

He's not a Rocket, but during the '95 Finals, I think before game 3, I saw Nick Anderson at Sharpstown Mall. Remember, this was two games after he bricked the four straight free throws. I really wanted to point at him and laugh, but seeing as how I was eleven and he was twice my size with two big bodyguard-looking guys next to him, I refrained.

18. ILuvEddie33

ILuvEddie33 Member

I saw Eddie Griffin at AMC 30 on April 5th (I remember cuz my B-day is on the 6th and before he got arrested) he was with this asian girl. :D He looked SO SEXY! LOL!:D

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I met Rudy T at a War concert at Rockefellers. He was getting down! It was the day after we lost to the Jazz in the playoffs, with the last sceond Stockton shot. Everybody there was giving him a lot of love though.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I saw Brent Price at the AMC 24 in FIrst Colony.

I met Hakeem "the dream" Olajuwon in the Marriot HOtel in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. He was there taking his haj (sp) trip to mecca.

Pierce Brosnan in Paris. Sandra Bullock in Paris.

A couple of years back i lived in New Territory in sugarland and an astro player lived down the street from me. I had no idea until my dad told me about it. I have never found out what player it was.

#20 Uprising, Aug 10, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2003