1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officiating and FTA in Harden Era (Last 4 Postseasons)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

2019-20
    -> Thru 6 games played
    Rockets- 96 FTA… 16 FTA per game
    Thunder- 147 FTA… 24.5 FTA per game

-Lowest FTA per game in Harden Era.
    -Rockets have shot less FTA than OKC every single game… That’s never happened in a Rockets playoff series in the Harden Era.
    -Rockets shot a SEASON LOW 10 FTA in game 4.
    -Harden fouled out for the first time all season and first time in a playoff series as a Rocket.

-Harden called for a travel on a 100% legit legal stepback that’s never been called a travel all season or in any Rockets playoff series.

2018-19
    1st Round

Jazz - 128 FTA… 25.6 FTA per game
    Rockets - 122 FTA… 24.4 FTA per game
    2nd Round
    Rockets - 145 FTA… 24.1 FTA per game
    Warriors - 144 FTA… 24 FTA per game

2017-18
    1st Round

Rockets - 114 FTA… 22.8 FTA per game
    TWolves - 114 FTA… 22.8 FTA per game
    2nd Round
    Rockets - 105 FTA… 21 FTA per game
    Jazz - 103 FTA… 20.6 FTA per game
    WCF
    Rockets - 159 FTA… 22.7 FTA per game
    Warriors - 135 FTA… 19.2 FTA per game

2016-17
    1st Round

Rockets - 168 FTA… 33.6 FTA per game
    Thunder - 135 FTA… 27 FTA per game
    2nd Round
    Spurs - 128 FTA… 21.3 FTA per game
    Rockets - 116 FTA… 19.3 FTA per game

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i dont care for any ft disparity...it happens... i would appreciate more if you give a couple of video evidence where rockets were fouled and not getting the whistle and vice versa

durvasa likes this.
  4. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I did some of that and sure it happens, but as with everything.... There's different degrees and do you recall it every happening against us to this degree? You can go look at every playoff series since Harden's been here and this has NEVER happened.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Refs hate rockets and you better lay down and take it because if you mention it then you are just a whinny little *****.

But what is worse, the refs or Dantoni's game time management (rotations, sitting guys, judging pace of game for time outs, ect)?

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

Thunder play disciplined defense and I've not seen anything crazy, unlike in some of those series where Harden among others got legitimately fouled and no call. That has not been the case this series. I think officiating has been better than normal, though they do seem to make it very obvious they want to keep a team in it at times, but that's always been part of the NBA. It's about ratings and viewers, not pure competition. It doesn't help when you have Ego and Harden crying + Tucker make a scene after every call against him, even though he's really committing a foul and I'm surprised he hasn't gotten T-d up more. On the other end there's CP3 who should've gotten T-d up more so that's even. Harden in general has been alright, just again not getting back on defense, because he's too busy to look for a call. He has looked for calls and not gotten them and I'm fine with that. We've also gotten away with hammering on Adams so I'm really not going to sit here and be all into this conspiracy when I'm the first to say the 2018 series was blatantly robbed from us due to bad officiating. Sure it's offset by 0-27 on threes, so not Game 7 necessarily but Game 6, most definitely.

hakeem94 and durvasa like this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

These are exactly my thoughts whenever people complain about unbalanced officiating.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

In what world is cherry picked videos better than statistical analysis?

I’d love to see foul rate volatility. The make up calls refs tend to fabricate to even the ft disparity in non-key moments would be readily apparent.

BigMaloe, hakeem94 and RayRay10 like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Comparing raw free throw attempts is only a useful statistical analysis under the assumption that each team is in reality committing a similar number of fouls. To demonstrate bad or biased officiating, need to compare number of bad/missed calls for each team. L2M reports can help to some degree with this (though many here are probably convinced that even those are tainted due to anti-Rockets biased).

BigMaloe, harold bingo and bmelo like this.
  10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The League got 7 Games Out of this One Sided Series.

Nike Basketball Association is Killing Adidas James Harden.

League is run by Illuminati Mafia, Nike
    Phil Knight, LeBron James

11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

So, if one team shoots almost double the free throws of another team, it’s not indicative of biased officiating? Okay.

There’s also a large sample size (at least 82 games in most years) of how often a team fouls and is fouled per game. The idea that this information can’t be used to determine ref bias is kind of ridiculous.

Regardless, that’s where foul variability comes into play. It provides empirical evidence of the only problem with assessing ref performance in this way: make up calls.

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

And of course make up calls are never really "make-up" calls. On one end, OKC get's a phantom shooting foul resulting in 2 FT's. Then the Rockets get a "make-up" call on the floor - no FT's. NBA/Refs claim, "Look! The number of fouls are almost the same!"

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

no need for stats, these are all things we know to be true

the problem is, year after year nothing changes so if you expect change, you'll be disappointed.

Rockets have got to find a way around this, too often, our players rely on the refs to save us. We have even seen our own players give up on plays where they don't get the call.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Come on man.. In a 7 game series, in which 6 games have already been played, what are the odds that a team who has won 3 of those games hasn't once won the ft battle?

You would think that in 6 games, the Rockets would get more fta ONCE. OKC has won every single time!

[​IMG]

#14 DreamShook, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Air Canada, BigMaloe, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

2 uncalled nut punches do not count as crazy?

What about SGA elbow to Tucker's throat?

Every time there is a whistle if Schroder is grazed or untouched but flings himself to the side while zero whistles when EGo is bodied to the floor over and over and over again?

DreamShook and hakeem94 like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1.what are the odds a 3pt champion shooting 18% for the entire series?
    is ego also rigging this series?

2. what are the odds of 2 MVPs not being clutch for the entire series?

Is this series rigged by multiple sources? Is NBA WWE?

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

ARE THESE BUM-ASS REFS COMING OFF INJURIES TOO!?!?!?! I wasn't aware.. We have to get those chumps on ice expeditiously so they can call a fair game!!!asdjashd

I'm already heated..

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

CP3 is also getting calls 40 ft from the basket on elite flails in winning time! smh..

Maybe Rockets losing is a sign watching basketball is not for me..

D-rock likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I am half way expecting at the jump for Scott Foster to blow the whistle and have the entire Thunder roster get in line at the free throw line and let them all get one shot each before the tip.... I figure it makes it easier for him than trying to work in a 10-12 point swing right off the bat, rather than having to keep track in his head.

BigMaloe, HP3 and DreamShook like this.
  20. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I just assume the refs are BIG fans of Mr. Maximillion Kellerman.

The disparity is largely subjective. But before criticizing the disparity, ask yourself how big of a disparity is too much before you start questioning the integrity of the game? Where do you draw the line? 7 game series: 50? 60? 70? Doesn't matter?

At the end of this game, no matter who wins, the disparity will grow from 50.

In a series where Eric Gordon's driving the lane at a record pace because his shot is broke, the lack of fouls called for him is egregious. For Harden, I think it's been fair. He's not getting 3-shot fouls in the playoffs and that's how he maintained his FTAs through the reg season. It makes sense to me. For EG, it does not make sense. Put in another way... Harden not getting 3-shot fouls in the playoffs should not make up the 50 FTA / 6 games disparity.

Air Canada likes this.