1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ official ] Trump for president 2024

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roc Paint, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

speak for yourself

I stopped watching 24/7 infotainment (CNN) maybe 20 years ago

Roc Paint likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I saw Cooper live after one of the hurricanes (might have been Katrina). The way he reported from the bank of the Mississippi river in Baton Rouge showed that there is an art to infotainment. It's primarily about excitement and grabbing audience.

Roc Paint likes this.
  3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

I get it, you say it raised questions, did any of the 60 cases that the gop lost in trying to prove it

I like Anderson C, I know all the media is going for the attention-grabbing headlines, I get that. He seems genuine and his backstory was cool to read about, for the most part I think he makes well thought out talking points

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Wouldn't the Village People appearing in public be illegal in Florida or Texas now?

What about the children?

VooDooPope and CCorn like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Yeah, but the flag let it by not saying anything about it.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

7. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

Dear extra smooth brain, you have conceded you have zero factual basis for your claim that trump would resolve the war in 24 hours. I’ll give you another try if you like. In your word salad, you say trump would resolve the war in 24 hours because he gets sh-t done and you’re certain he gets it done and quickly.

So Basically it is your blind faith as a trump sycophant that he will totally get it done. Not that he has previous extensive foreign policy experience. Not that he has resolved wars of similar magnitude and complexity before in 24 hours. Not that he watched a YouTube video on how to reason with zelenski and Putin. No, not a single factual reason given. Just … because you are certain.

Ignorant, stupid, moronic people and five year olds employ this pathetic excuse for reasoning. It’s called ipse dixit in Latin … it is because I say so. Very very trumpy of you.

Xopher, FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  8. Salvy

Salvy Member

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don’t know his back story or much of anything else about him. I just very much dislike 24/7 infotainment as News delivery vehicle. So it is just not at all surprising that CNN made a deal with Trump for rating. Audience - you can only applaud lol. But it was such a disaster that they will lose more viewers.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

Althouse

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2023/05/does-mere-fact-of-his-large-following.html

May 13, 2023
    "Does the mere fact of his large following in an increasingly radicalized and extremist Republican Party require that news organizations broadcast his views to millions?"

Asks Susan B. Glasser in "Don’t Say You Haven’t Been Warned About Trump and 2024/CNN’s awful town hall with the former President heralds a disastrous election year to come" (The New Yorker).

Here's my radical idea: Give up on attacking Trump, the person, and engage with the substance of his policy arguments. Act as if he's a completely ordinary politician — pose as if you felt neutrality toward him personally — and engage with the ideas.

You really do need to take him seriously. He's presumptively the Republican nominee, and he's got an even chance of getting re-elected to the presidency. You can freak out about that, but you've been freaking about about him for 8 years, and it hasn't fazed him. His supporters tune you out.

Reset. Be normal, and treat him as if he were normal. Give up on trying not to "normalize" him. Forefront the substantive issues, treat all the candidates equally, and let us see how each of them holds up to a thorough grilling. If you're neutral, you can be cruel. We'll watch.

I infer that Glasser would tell me that Trump doesn't do substance. She wrote:

It was the same garbled nonsense, empty catchphrases, and nasty gibberish so familiar from his four years in the White House.
    That describes politicians in general. It's all "garbled nonsense, empty catchphrases, and nasty gibberish." It just bothers you more when someone you loathe dishes it out with brio and has fans who love it.

This 2024 Trump still does not speak in coherent sentences or make arguments. He’s a demagogue. He demagogued.
    Biden also fails to speak in coherent sentences. The interviewer should listen to the candidate's statements and drill into the meaning, not get distracted by the thought that this is so obviously defective that voters must deem it all worthless.

Aside from the sheer awful spectacle, it’s hard to say that any actual news came out of the questioning....
    There was a person doing that questioning, Kaitlan Collins, but she's left out of that sentence, as if she had no way to improve the quality of event. Earlier in the article, Glasser gives her credit for trying, but the trying consisted of repeatedly stating the conclusion that a statement of Trump's was not true.

We're told she "struggled, and how could she not, having been assigned a near-impossible task?" What exactly was the "task" and why was it "near-impossible"?

Perhaps "the task" was misdefined, understood as giving Trump enough rope to hang himself and needling him endlessly about how wrong he is about everything in the hope that he'd snap. That is, the task was understood as producing a "sheer awful spectacle." And I suspect what Collins was trying and struggling to do was to break Trump — to make Trump explode into some "blood coming out of her" moment — and that was the "actual news" that didn't happen.

Posted by Ann Althouse at 7:50 AM

Roc Paint likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Typical Trump supporter statement below. I had to laugh from the very first line. Heck, the guy has been fact checked on Thousands of lies. He lies every time he speaks. The rest are easily disputable too. Trump lovers just can't see past the sociopath's facade. You know you are in a Trump cult when you say, "The truth is, politics is a slimy, corrupt, blackmail filled cesspool, and a private club of criminals with mutual assured destruction, and Donald Trump is not in it."

#1652 deb4rockets, May 13, 2023
    Last edited: May 13, 2023
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

They’re brainwashed. I was at my parents last night and they were going off about bud light changing their cans to pictures of transgender people and said the stock has completely tanked. I showed them the last 60 days of their stock and explained that all they did was sent 1 personalized can to a social media influencer and… they got angry, said I didn’t know what I was talking about, and said let’s change the subject… which ended up being about millions of immigrants coming through the border.

Funny thing is my parents claim they don’t have any issue with the LBGTQ community lol.

If you ever see someone tune into Newsmax, just don’t even bother trying. They’re too far gone.

deb4rockets likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Reading this it almost sounds like Althous hasn’t watched Trump much.

This isn’t that the media or Trumps opponents across the political spectrum go out of their way to focus on Trump’s personality but they ateump himself makes things personal. It’s his SOP to start and end with personal attacks. “Lyin Ted” “Ron DeSanticmonious”, etc.. those aren’t policy positions to be debated but even Trump supporters admit they like him because of how hard he personally attacks his opponents.

Rashmon and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

can't speak to the rest of your comment but I actually think Althouse has watched quite a bit of Trump over the past 6-7 years

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Not if she’s now arguing that political opponents in the media focus too much on Trump’s personality. There were plenty of pundits saying the exact same thing back in 2015 and politicians who tried to avoid getting personal with Trump. If that was the right straw tegu then Jeb Bush should’ve been the 2016 Republican nominee for President.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

I take it the key part of her post is this: "but you've been freaking about about him for 8 years, and it hasn't fazed him. His supporters tune you out." I just think she's calling for a different approach.

Roc Paint likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Her approach was on display on CNN and throughout the past 7 years or so. CNN treated him as a normal politician and gave him a "Town Hall." Many mainstream media outlets are so beaten down by Trump and his supporters that they are afraid to show how abnormal he is. This radical approach she's talking about is the normalization of Trump, treating him as normal (which he is not). I think that's a large part of how we got here today.

There are two things the media can do, IMO. First, treat him as he is - not normal at all. Second, treat his policies exactly as they are. I would say that the media has done more of the latter than the former.

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think that's real. I don't see that on Twitter.

#1660 deb4rockets, May 14, 2023
    Last edited: May 14, 2023