1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[official.nba.com] Illegal screens are supposed to be a point of emphasis this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ChievousFTFace, May 20, 2015.

1. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

The embedded PDF is directly linked from the Point of Emphasis Memo off of official.nba.com. If you can't see the embedded pdf, click here.

<embed src="https://turnernbahangtime.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/2014-15-illegal-screens.pdf" width="900" height="700">

The pdf links multiple videos that give perfect examples of these illegal screens and leaves no doubt that they are not enforcing these rules.

Thanks to Flop's video, we can see that a significant number of shots that the Warriors took were created by the use of these illegal screens. Here's hoping that Morey calls the NBA out on enforcing the screen rules. Also embedded below is Flop's video showing the screens from last night.

<iframe width="840" height="630" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yxH9UkyyeOs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 ChievousFTFace, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
    3 people like this.
  2. ChievousFTFace

Here is another 2015 memo about fighting through screens and dangerous plays for further clarification. Again, if you can't see the embedded pdf, click here.

<embed src="https://turnernbahangtime.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/limiting-dangerous-plays.pdf" width="900" height="700">

3. RyanB

RyanB Member

Woww
    How do officials allow such dirty screens???
    I'm stunned

4. nemac

nemac Member

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

This is stuff I wonder if Morey sends to the league office after the game. It's a joke how blatant some of these screens were.

It's not even close or border line and what is more astonishing is that a majority of them a ref is look right at the play or at least in that direction.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

Wow. Watching the game in real time yesterday I knew that the officiating was bad. I had no clue that it was that bad!

Horrible. Golden State is a dirtier team than the Clippers? I never thought I would say that. The amount of blatantly obvious moving on screens and trying to disguise their screen as something else (moving to the basket, falling to the ground, etc) almost made it seem like they were coached that way

7. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

1:28 lol

this aint football

8. MattM

MattM Member

I thought the exact same thing. These Warriors are cheaper and dirtier than...<use your imagination>

Let's hope we weren't jobbed last night and that the referees will begin calling it as they see it. That's all we want. Make the ****ing calls as you see them. Just ****ing do the right thing

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I can't view the video from my phone but I have noticed that when Dwight sets screens I'm always worried that they are going to cal an illegal screen because more often than not he is moving while he is screening and sometimes he gets a little elbow in there also... I'm not complaining but I'm surprised because I would think they would try and call whatever they can on Dwight

10. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

In general, I don't think it is a good idea to start blaming officiating that soon.

1 person likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

all of that point of emphasis stuff that goes on that the beginning of the year doesn't matter at the end.

12. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

You guys act like this is something new for the Warriors. I haven't gone out of my way to watch Warriors' games, but this has been their m.o. all year long. I doubt anything changes at this point in the season.

The real point of emphasis from the refs this year has seemingly been don't let teams get blown out. I can't even count how many times the Rockets have been on the verge of blowing a team out only to have the refs gift the other team free throws keeping them in it.

13. ChievousFTFace

I agree that some of the emphasis does change as the year goes on. They have done a good job with the verticality rules for the most part. They have dropped the stupid delay of game rule on made shots.

The problem is that with a weapon like Curry, moving screens are magnified. With the speed of the game, there's always a gray area on whether or not a screen is completely set. Some players are also experts when it comes to knowing when to grab or pull a guy getting screened to where the refs can't see it. With that being said, there's no gray area when a guy throws his hip out and chips the defender on a screen. This video shows multiple hip checks right in front of the ref and these led to multiple corner 3s.

The worst play of all comes at 11:30 in the video and slo-mo of the play at 11:37. This play shows 3 illegal screens within 5 seconds. They run Curry around 3 screens from the far side of the court to the near:

Illegal Screen 1: Brewer is on Curry and Green comes up and sets a screen at a bad angle. The replay shows that he grabs Brewer's arm to slow him down. This is almost never called.

Illegal Screen 2: Brewer is still giving chase and decides to come over the next screen. Thompson adjusts to Brewer's new path and has no chance to screen on time (partly due to Ariza for keeping a body on him as game planned). Thompson throws out his hips and arms in an attempt to slow Brewer more. He gets enough contact and affects the play.

Illegal Screen 3: This one is the most obvious call. Barnes has been watching the play develop. He correctly positions himself to set a legal screen. Brewer sees this and begins to go around him. Barnes blatantly sticks his right hip out and chips Brewer.

There could have been 4 illegal screens if Curry would have come up tighter on Barnes. With perfect timing, Barnes turns to post up Brewer on the Jones switch. If Curry hugs tight, the turn to post would have also picked Jones and gotten Curry wide open for a 3 or a mid ranged jumper.

DIRECT LINK TO PLAY

#13 ChievousFTFace, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome analysis.

NBA Refs <<<<< Pro Wrestling Refs

[​IMG]

#14 Xerobull, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  15. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

This has been the year of illegal screens. Congrats to the champs of illegal screens

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Safe to say they were not emphasized

17. dlite316

dlite316 Member

NBA officiating is a joke

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Couldn't and didn't call them all. GSW with a brute force attack and win.

19. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Illegal Screens, you the real MVP.

20. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Don't forget Illegal Box Out.

Green and Bogut was holding and grabbing jersey 90% of the box outs.