1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Measurments of Rocket Draft prospects fom Insider

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glyde22, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

NBA Draft: Size matters

Although they declined to participate in the pre-draft camps, most of the top prospects in the draft did show up in Chicago on Saturday for physicals and official measurements.

The measurements are an event that teams watch with a bit of anticipation. Colleges are notorious for inflating the heights of their players and poor measurement can really hurt a player's stock.

This year Caron Butler, Kareem Rush, Dajuan Wagner and Jay Williams all measured shorter than listed. Jared Jefferies actually measured an inch taller.

Wingspans are a big deal in the pros when measuring a prospects' defensive potential. Jason Jennings had the longest wingspan at 7-foot-7. Nene Hilario and Melvin Ely both had 7-foot-4 wingspans, which should really help their cause. A few players, like Mike Dunleavy, Yao Ming, Qyntel Woods and Williams have pretty short arms relative to their size.

Here are how the top prospects measured out on Saturday. All heights are with shoes (in most cases an inch and half taller than without shoes).

Carlos Boozer: 6' 9 1/4" | 258 lbs | 7' 2 1/4" wingspan

Curtis Borchard: 7' 1/4" | 238 lbs | 7' 2 1/2" wingspan

Caron Butler: 6' 6 1/2" | 222 lbs | 6' 11 1/2" wingspan

Mike Dunleavy: 6' 9 1/2" | 230 lbs | 6' 9" wingspan

Melvin Ely: 6' 10 | 240 lbs | 7' 4" wingspan

Drew Gooden: 6' 10" | 227 lbs | 7' 1/2" wingspan

Rod Grizzard: 6' 7 3/4" | 193 lbs | 7' wingspan

Marcus Haislip: 6' 9 3/4" | 221 lbs | 7' wingspan

Nene Hilario: 6' 10 3/4" | 253 lbs | 7' 4 1/2" wingspan

Jared Jeffries: 6' 11" | 230 lbs | 7' 1/2" wingspan

Jason Jennings: 7' 1/2" | 249 lbs | 7' 7" wingspan

Yao Ming: 7' 6 1/4" | 296 lbs | 7'4 3/4" wingspan:eek:

Kareem Rush: 6' 5 3/4" | 199 lbs | 6' 9 3/4" wingspan

Amare Stoudemire: 6' 10" | 233 lbs | 7' 1 3/4" wingspan

Dajuan Wagner: 6' 2" | 193 lbs | 6' 8 1/2" wingspan

Chris Wilcox: 6' 9 1/2" | 218 lbs | 7' 1" wingspan

Frank Williams: 6' 2 3/4" | 212 lbs | 6' 8" wingspan

Jay Williams: 6' 1 3/4" | 197 lbs | 6' 3 1/2" wingspan

Qyntel Woods: 6' 8 1/2" | 213 lbs | 6' 10" wingspan

Short wing span or not Ming is huge. Butler is shorter than I thought and Jefferies is 6' 11" !!!...interesting!

Personally, I think Ely would not be a bad pick-up at #15

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Caron Butler's hight will not help his draft status but his wingspan should help make up for it.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm guessing Ming's measurements are from his Chicago workout. Is that right? If so, why all the controversy about his wingspan? Should it be 8'? What's Dream's? What's Shaq's? I don't know where such measurements are available on the web, but surely a 7'4" wingspan is among the elite in that category. AND they've got him listed at over 7'6, which I realize some people want to turn into a liability. At any rate, this ought to lay the wingspan issue to rest.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Wingspan Mania!

Note that Dunlevy has the wingspan of a 6'2" guard and Jay Williams has the wingspan of Spud Webb.

Yet, they are considered by many to be the top two players in the draft???

I guess I have my answer as to how supposedly the number one and two players in the entire draft could not win the title. It is all in the lack of wingspan.

Alternate theories. Duke players don't need wingspan. Players from other teams are severely limited by the lack thereof.

Or perhaps, it is not the most important thing in basketball.

6. D-Up

D-Up Member

Ming is a legit 7'5 in bare feet, and is a bowl of rice short of 300 lbs.

That is a lot beans on that pole.

And folks, this kid has the frame to add at least another 25 pounds.

Ely would make a nice fallback, should Hilario or a ball handling/sweet shooting SF not be available at the 15th.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

7'4" is big, but not for a guy who is 7'6". That's what the alligator arm controversy is about. Notice that Ely, who is over a half foot shorter than Ming, is only about a half inch shorter in wingspan.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Batman Jones,

The issue with Mings wingspan isnt that it is small. Relatively speaking, he has a short wingspan. He is the only person that has a shorter wingspan than height. Ming, if he was proportional, should have a wingspan of about 7'8".

9. mfclark

mfclark Member

What matters is ability and actual height. Ming is superior to Ely in both.

10. Batman Jones

So if he was ten feet tall, would a nine foot wingspan be a big problem? That is, what is it you would like him to do that he can't do because of his 'meager' 7'4 wingspan? You guys must be running out of reasons not to like him. I'd stick to the contract issues with China and his inability to bang in the post without bulking up. Those are at least legitimate concerns.

11. right1

right1 Member

I find it almost impossible to believe that Chris Wilcox only weighs 218 lbs. How??? He looks much bigger. That's a real shock.

12. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

The bottom line is Yao Ming will come out on top if you rank all those guys by wingspan. Wingspan is the knock against Yao Ming. But if we choose the top pick solely based on wingspan ranking, the #1 pick will still be Mr. Ming. So what's the problem?

13. D-Up

D-Up Member

Ran out of creatine?

14. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Bingo.

Wake up, hatas. Would you rather have a mere 7'4 3/4" wingspan on a 7' 6 1/4" (in shoes) player or on a less-skilled 6'10" player like Hilario? So what it's a few inches shorter than normal proportion! These numbers are amazing, even if you totally ignore his mobility, talent, shooting touch, blocking ability, etc.

15. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

To be more accurate, he is second to Jennings on this list.

Jason Jennings: 7' 1/2" | 249 lbs | 7' 7" wingspan

16. Batman Jones

If Ming had a 7'7 wingspan the same people would say it was too long.

17. sweetpea

sweetpea Member

Looking at the wing span is ok, but you need to look at how big they play!!!!!!! why get a 6' 9" player with a 1 ' vert. , when you can get a 6' 8" player with a 4' vert. ?

I know that players play bigger than they are., take Wilcox he played all around and above the rim in their Championship run.

The Roxs need some leapers to get more defensive minded, you can't out score everybody ( Dallas). You got to play some,and I don't want to see the Roxs turn into another Dallas

18. Possum

Possum Member

That has to be a missprint. If not I could see him really falling.

19. right1

right1 Member

Wilcox has got to be somewhere between 230 and 245 lbs., unless he had a really bad case of the flu after the tournament and lost 15 lbs. I just don't see how there is any way he is less than 230 lbs.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What was Larry Bird's vertical? or Magic Johnson's vertical.

Come on guys, it is more about what is ABOVE the shoulders then athletic ability.

By all reports Ming is very smart, and more importantly a very quick thinker....

DaDakota