1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Giants @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Please keep this to talk about the series. As usual no Play-by-Play, or general Astros talk. If you need play by play see one of the many other sites that have game casts.

6-22 Tim Lincecum, RHP (7-2, 3.11) vs. Roy Oswalt, RHP (5-8, 3.12) 7:05 on FSH

6-23 Barry Zito, LHP (7-3, 3.13) vs. Brett Myers, RHP (4-5, 3.34) 7:05 on FSH

6-24 To be announced vs. Wandy Rodriguez, LHP (3-10, 6.09) 1:05 on FSH

#1 Castor27, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[Unofficial] Giants @ Astros

Tim Lincecum, RHP (7-2, 3.11) @ Roy Oswalt, RHP (5-8, 3.12) - 3-1 L

Barry Zito, LHP (7-3, 3.13) @ Brett Myers, RHP (4-5, 3.34) 7:05 CT

TBA @ Wandy Rodriguez, LHP (3-10, 6.09) 1:05 CT

New faces, same results :p :eek: Should I have expected different?

Castro 1-4, 1 RBI, 1 R, threw out 2 runners

3. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Wow, we had Roy going against Lincecum and one of our higher prospects making his major league debut, and only one response? Damn, this is sad.

4. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Another good start by Roy O. Unfortunately he had to go up against Lincecum for the third time this year. Nice debut by Castro. A hit on his first AB and threw two runners out.

5. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I didn't see this thread up during the game, so I think it may have just been bumped to the top just recently.

I was actually excited for this game though. I recorded it just to watch the Castro at-bats and a caught a little in between. I feel bad for Roy, he wants out of here and pitched well enough to win the game but couldn't get any run support thanks to Lincecum. I was impressed Castro got a hit in his first at bat, I was afraid Tim was going to make him look foolish (like he does to many)

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Oswalt's probably pissed right now he doesn't get to face the Astros lineup every now and then to pad his ERA/Win stats.

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I did the same which is why I didn't comment during the game. I didn't want to know what happened.

Roy was cruising through 6 then unexpectedly had some trouble in the 7th. He did get a little unlucky with all those fouled of balls and a couple questionable calls but he was also losing his command just a bit.

I saw a couple of Lincecum's starts during his struggles and he was really off. He actually didn't throw well against us last time we faced him but as usual, our offense let him off the hook. He was getting his fastball back up to the mid-90s last night but he still doesn't look quite like he's regained his top form. It was still more than enough to shut down our pathetic offense.

Speaking of that, did anybody catch that stat about our team OBP?

3rd worst since 1969. Ouch. It's not surpising but I hadn't heard that particular stat. It's not like we slug the ball, either.

Castro was impressive. For a guy of his build, he seems to get out of his stance pretty quickly and has a nice throwing motion. He really doesn't look like a catcher physically. More like a first baseman or corner outfielder. It'll be interesting to see how he holds up in the future.

He has great poise all-around. If that was a nervous Castro, I can't imagine how calm he'll look when he gets comfortable.

He looked good at the plate against some tough pitchers. I'm interested to see how he adjusts to ML pitching. He's really long and has a smooth-looing swing. I wouldn't expect much power at all this season but I do hope to see plenty of singles and good PA where he demonstrates his good eye. I'll be happy if he's able to do that and post an OPS in the mid to upper .600s. If he does better, great.

8. BrooksBall

And Blum looked kind of bad on that final out.

He probably would've been out anyway and it's unlikely that we were making up 2 runs with 2 outs and nobody on but seeing Sandoval or whoever it was bobble that ball and only get him out by a step and a half after he practically walked to first base just didn't look good at all. Very Carlos Lee-ish.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

It's a shame O had to face Lincecum again...we have to win at least one game, so LLW, and that's a stretch...

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

It was nice to see Castro's eye's get all big in his at bats, he was definately excited! Big change from seeing Lance and Carlos act like baseball is something they are being forced to do.

I have focused all my negative attention on Carlos for awhile and glossed over how much of a cry baby/whiner Berkman has become.

11. msn

msn Member

At one time the Astros were 8-2 for June... :(

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tommy Manzella out 6 weeks(fractured left index finger. Oswald "Ozzie" Navarro called up. Blum to play SS tonight.

13. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Blum at short for a spot start is OK to stomach, but this better not be a long-term answer while Manzo is out.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I bet Navarro gets the lion's share of the time.

He isn't a long term solution with the bat, but he apparently plays above average and consistent major league quality defense at short. And you can deal with a replacement hitting a buck fifty for a couple of months at that position on a team that isn't going anywhere.

15. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Blum better not be the starter. He is old, slow, and sucks. He QUIT last night in 9th inning when running out the ground ball the 1st baseman dropped. I would like to see how Oswaldo Navarro does. He is 25 years old and put solid numbers in Round Rock this year. He couldn't be any worse than Tommy Manzella or Blum.

16. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Hope you are right. I guess Maysonet is really banged up...I thought he played pretty well when he was called up 2 years ago. He was playing mostly 2B, but I thought he'd get a shot instead of Navarro.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Sounds an awful lot like what Manzella was giving us. :eek:

18. BrooksBall

I heard that passed balls were a little bit of a problem with Castro. There was his first with the Astros.

19. BrooksBall

Love it.

Great PA by Castro.

Layed off at least 2 very tough pitches, if not 3.

I heard he could handle LHP well. He showed a good eye against LHP there.

20. BrooksBall

Awesome.

The call ups keep the inning going with 2 outs, with a Myers single mixed in.

Then Kepp gets to face a LHP with the bases loaded, both situations where he excels.