1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Crane chose to make Dana Brown his GM primarily based on his ability to identify amateur talent. I have no idea if he will succeed or not, but it's stupid to do it half assed. Let the man do the job you hired him to do, and so far this offseason it seems like that is starting to happen. Brown has his manager, and now he will have his head of scouting (something Click was never afforded)

He may suck and it will crash and burn, but it's all but guaranteed to fizzle if the organization continued pulling itself in different directions.

vince, Wulaw Horn, The Beard and 5 others like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dana Brown has been a scout or executive for 30 years across 5 organizations. Yes, Gross is a significant loss because by all accounts he was extremely good in his role, but if there is one thing Dana Brown should be able to do, it’s hire and manage a good scouting director.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Yep. Brown's best attribute was drafting and development.

Hopefully he shines here and can find a way to extend the run.

prospecthugger and desihooper like this.
  5. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I think Brown did an outstanding job of finding superior athletes that were perhaps a little raw on first look. Michael Harris sticks out going from 3rd round pick out of high school to top 15 in the MVP voting in three years.
    I believe Nehomar Ochoa Jr. could be one of those guys for the Astros. Youngest guy on the team in FCL and looked outstanding. Also has physique of and runs more like a football free safety prospect than a 17 year old high school baseball player.

The Beard and Nook like this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

7. Buck Turgidson

Yall don't have a ****ing clue how Brown will act as a GM along with Crane.

Stop pretending, wait and see.

8. Qan

Qan Member

Excited for Winter. Lmao

9. Nook

Nook Member

I had someone with another organization say that this last Astros draft was like 90% Brown and Bove.

10. The Beard

The Beard Member

And if we still had Strom I would be more on board with moving assets for Cease

Losing Strom was bigger than most realize

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.
  11. The Beard

The Beard Member

You hit the sauce again?

Stephen66 likes this.
  12. cwebbster

cwebbster Member

Thats a World Series Championship squad right there (barring no injuries of course).

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Thinking more about a white Sox raid that makes sense. McCormick just doesn’t seem like a great piece for Chicago because trading Robert means a full scale rebuild and McCormick only has 3 season of control left (less than Robert). I think a blockbuster that makes more sense would be something like:

Astros get:
    CF Luis Robert Jr
    SP Dylan Cease
    P Michael Kopech
    $12M (toward Robert’s 2024 salary)

White Sox get:
    SP Hunter Brown
    IF Brice Matthews
    CF Jake Meyers
    SP Forrest Whitley
    OF/IF Joey Loperfido
    SP Spencer Arrighetti
    OF/IF Pedro Leon

That may seem like a pupu platter, but the White Sox need to raise their floor across their entire system. Hunter Brown has value equivalent to an MLB Top 20 prospect so he’s a formidable headliner. It still probably ain’t quite enough but I think it makes more sense than Chicago taking on Urquidy and/or McCormick. The resulting Astros roster is insane:

CF Robert
    2B Altuve
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    RF Tucker
    1B Abreu
    C Diaz
    LF McCormick
    SS Pena
    Bench: Dubon, TBD catcher, Kessinger, Singleton
    Rotation: Verlander, Valdez, Cease, Javier, Urquidy, France
    Bullpen: Pressly, Abreu, Kopech, Montero, Graveman, McCullers/Sousa, Garcia/Bielak

I think Kopech could be utterly dominant as a reliever. This trade makes it a lot more palatable to let Bregman and Tucker walk in free agency. Crane would still have to stretch the budget to accommodate this trade but I think he’d be game considering this would be one of the deepest highest ceiling lineups in the history of the sport.

Chicago’s roster would fit the mold of a team in a rebuild, with every spot occupied by either a young high ceiling player or a veteran rebound trade candidate:
    C Lee/Quero
    1B Vaughn
    2B Leon
    SS Lopez/Shewmake (trade candidates, Sanchez, Montgomery and Matthews otw)
    3B Moncada (trade candidate, Ramos otw)
    RF Colas/Loperfido
    CF Meyers/Cespedes
    LF Benintendi (trade candidate)
    DH Jimenez (trade candidate)
    SP Brown, Whitley, Arrighetti, Schuster, Eder, Soroka (trade candidate)
    RP Burke, Cannon, Bush, Thompson, Kelley, Crochet, Santos

#1273 Snake Diggit, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    vince, Wulaw Horn and raining threes like this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm all for it. It would be an all-in move for the next 2 seasons. It would make sense if Brown thinks the well is dry in the farm. In other words, no one to take up the slack for Tucker and Bregman when one one or both of them leave.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Crane (and Brown) think they can consistently outperform in drafting/scouting/development, so they simply think they can continually trade their best prospects and turn right around and add 3-4 more badasses in the next draft/international signing period (as well as steal prospects via trade). I can see why Crane would believe this. He was probably told by Luhnow/Click that trading their recent highly ranked and breakout prospects (Bukauskas, Beer, Martin, Musgrove, F Perez, Nottingham, Folty, Houser, Thurman, Ruiz, Hader, Rogers, Cameron, Velasquez, Moran, Santana, Phillips, Appel, Davis, Fisher, Toro etc.) was dangerous, only to see a steady stream of lower touted prospects (Diaz, Pena, McCormick, Alvarez, Brown, Javier, Garcia, Framber, Abreu, Urquidy, France, etc) thrive and keep the window open.

#1275 Snake Diggit, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    Nook and rockbox like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think I like Meyers and Brown more than most. I'd do this deal easy from the Astros POV. I'd probably do this deal even if the CWS didn't include Cease and the $12M.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Always a really wide range of potential values on graduated young players with varying degrees of MLB success. Brown especially, but yes Meyers too, are young players who aren’t prospects but still carry a high enough ceiling to be core players on a competitive team for the next 5+ seasons. I for one would bet that both Brown and Meyers are more likely to post >3 fwar over a full season of healthy regular action than they would be to post <1 fwar.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I like the trade and would take the gamble. I hate giving up Brown, because I would love to see him with another year with Verlander’s mentorship. It is also a gamble with Cease. All that being said, I don’t think CWS will give up Robert.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Braves taking all the top end relievers...

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

$30M/3yrs is about what I thought he’d get, not a steal but he is a very high upside RP. Sadly these are the kinds of deals Houston really can’t afford to take; they already have 4 of them on their books (J Abreu, McCullers, Graveman, Montero). They either have to sign super cheap guys (<$8M/1yr) or make big time moves that convince Crane to pay the tax.

Crane isn’t gonna commit to going over the tax for Reynaldo Lopez. But he might for Josh Hader (or Yadiel Rodriguez, or Jordan Montgomery, etc.).

Nook, IowaAstro and raining threes like this.