1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Amadeus Rooster

Soto prollie 60 and Judge 60+ homers too. See if they can keep the opponent from outscoring em or not is the big question, eh?

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

FB velo of Astros middle relief options:
    Coleman 99
    Whitley 99
    Montero 97
    Graveman 97
    Ortega 97
    Kuhnel 96
    Dubin 96
    Blanco 96
    Garcia 95
    McCullers 95
    Sousa 95
    Gage 94
    Bielak 94
    Mushinski 93
    Martinez 92

Seems like they should be fine finding guys to dominate the 6th and 7th innings bridging to Abreu and Pressly.

SP Velo:
    Brown 97
    Valdez 96
    Verlander 95
    Javier 94
    Urquidy 94
    France 93

Would not surprise me at all if Bielak and Mushinski were DFA’ed or traded to swap out for 2 more guys who fit the Coleman/Ortega/Kuhnel mold.

I expect Urquidy to be traded and it wouldn’t surprise me if France is stashed in AAA.

#2022 Snake Diggit, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    raining threes, Nook and Radricky like this.
  3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Their OF defense is going to suck.

The Beard and Stephen66 like this.
  4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Member
    Supporting Member

The Yankees got much better on paper, and I don't think it's wrong to admit it. Their two biggest issues moving forward is going to be health and pitching. I don't recall the stat but when Stanton and Judge play together, they have some ridiculous winning percentage. Soto now gives them additional length in the lineup that can mask if either of the two get hurt. As for pitching, they did hurt themselves was trading their pitching depth that they had. @Nook laid that out pretty well. If they can land Yamamoto and sign/trade for another pitcher, they will be more than fine with pitching.

I believe they will switch their attention to Glasnow while they wait for Yamamoto. Them being able to land Soto was huge because it now allows them to spend money rather than trying to trade for players. They will have strong competition for Glasnow...

astros123 and Pringles like this.
  5. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

All that just to have the Astros own them come playoff time.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

The Real Shady, Nook and 13 in 33 like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Abreu throws 98 and Pressly 96. Astros bullpen could feature 7 guys throwing 96 or better with more than half those guys having either nasty 2nd/3rd pitches or elite spin/movement on their FB to go with the velo.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Member

The Yankees didn't make the playoffs last year. Of course they're going to do everything possible not to have that happen. When they signed Judge/Cole long-term, they were committed to this core whether it sinks or swims... so yes, they have to add win-now pieces and they have to go all out to improve their deficiencies.

All that being said, their fan base is still not thrilled with "rolling it back" with Cashman/Boone and keeping guys like Stanton. They're very much aware that despite re-loading with some new acquisitions, a lot still has to go right to make the playoffs... let alone advance far in the playoffs.

Stephen66 likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The Astros should talk to the Reds about a LH bat.

They now have about 12 guys for 8 if/of/DH spots and need pitching. It's a good matchup.

Friedl (CF/LF emergency RF) - 116 wRC+ (107 vs RHP)

Benson (LF/RF- 3g @1B in AAA) -128 wRC+ (147 vs RHP)

Fraley (RF/LF emergency CF) - 107 wRC+ ( 115 vs RHP)

Martini (LF/1B/RF) -136 wRC+ (145 vs RHP)

Friedl probably isn't available, as they have many more corner players than true CF options.

The other 3 all project to be 1-2 WAR players so mot too terribly expensive, and would fit the Astros very nicely.

Benson and Martini have 5 yrs of control, Fraley has 3.

#2029 IdStrosfan, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    Nook likes this.
  10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

To be fair, if you look at his Baseball Savant page, he only would've hit 29 last year if he played all his games in Yankee stadium. He hits surprisingly few HRs to the pull side. He'll probably hit a few more in NY than he would've hit in SD but I don't think it'll magically turn him into a 40+ HR guy

The Beard and astros123 like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

The two best players the Padres got are King and Thorpe.

If King pitches well to start this season and the Padres are out of it, they can move him for quite a bit.

Supposedly the Padres are going to try and extend him, which I think is really smart.... if King pitches like he did last season, he would be in line for a 9 figure contract.

Thorpe is probably closer to a top 25 prospect, but is listed lower because he isn't likely to be a #1 starter but has a real chance to be a high inning #2 or #3 starter. He is a big and strong starting pitcher that will throw a lot of quality innings. The other two guys are interesting and at least one should be a big leaguer for awhile.

The Padres potentially filled two of their 5 rotation spots over the next handful of years and that is very valuable. I would not be surprised if the Padres in 2025 are better than they have been with the group they had the last few years.

whiskeyred, ROCKSS and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

He hit 23 on the road last year. Petco Park greatly limited his overall numbers. Double his away numbers and you get 46 homers and a 1.026 OPS.

13. Radricky

Radricky Member

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Love how he forgot Acuna

GOATuve, Astrodome and Radricky like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I will be very surprised if the Astros end up with Jordan Hicks at this point. I know they were interested in him very early, but now there is supposedly over a dozen teams, that are actively talking to his agent.

There are other options out there for the Astros that potentially will be as effective. The Astros are also looking at the trade market targeting relievers that their scouting department is high on.

There is Matt Moore, David Robertson, Aroldis Chapman, etc.

16. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

What's your opinion on Jakob Junis? A writer on climbingtalshill.com mentioned him and Robertson as pitchers who Astros should go after.

Lucky charm Will Smith is still available as well lol. Maybe he can win 4 straight and get his 2nd with Houston.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Junis is interesting, I personally would understand why they would sign him (stuff) but I think that he is hittable personally.

I would personally look at some starters and look at converting them if they have the right stuff........ for example, Vincent Vasquez I think could be a really good reliever because another 2-3 MPH on his fastball makes a huge difference.

18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Member
    Supporting Member

I remember when people were saying the same thing about the Rangers...

astros123 likes this.
  19. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I hope we land two of Y. Rodriguez, Hicks, Stephenson, Neris, M. Moore. Wouldn’t mind giving Stanek another shot, last year feels like a fluke.

Would not mind dealing Urquidy for a quality prospect or two.

astros123 and Stephen66 like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We aint doin' nothin'.

astros123 and TexasRedd like this.