1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 27, 2024.

1. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

I hate how the decision makers are running the team this year.

#661 Jose Cuervo, May 29, 2024
    Last edited: May 29, 2024
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I like Pressly a lot.

And I still think before it's over he will contribute to several wins over the next 100+ games and, God willing, the playoffs.

But just like Bregman, Diaz, ( and Yordan) he needs to be in less important lower leverage spots right now.

There are other guys pitching better now and that's simply a fact.

ROCKSS and Radricky like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pressly’s xfip is 2.52. He’s been either incredibly unlucky or just performed very poorly at only the worst possible times. I wouldn’t say he’s “fine”, but there’s ample reason to believe he can still be effective.

4. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes

I hear ya, I'm in Tempe so game started at 6:40 and even them come Pressley blown game time I was already fading out.....

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Astros just need to win today and tomorrow then the division is back to just 3.5 games away again.

They also will be feeling better coming off 2 wins vs Mariners.

Tonight is a VERY important game but the season is not lost.

6. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

You make it sound so easy.

htownrox1 likes this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Playing Dubon over singleton ain’t gonna cure a lot

Benching Abreu would

roxallways, Houstunna and Radricky like this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Albert Einstein - 'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. '

Jim Crane, Jeff Bagwell, Dana Brown, Joe Espada.

htownrox1 and Jose Cuervo like this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If the Astros Rotation continue to be inconsistent and the Record is 20 Games under .500 July Trade Deadline.Time to trade the Veterans and Rebuild. Acquire Top Prospects.

Justin Verlander
    Alex Bregman
    Framber Valdez
    Kyle Tucker - Highest Value, Orioles Maybe Top Prospects
    Ryan Pressly

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

What exactly would you say Singleton actually does better than Dubon since he got here aside from look cooler?

Amshirvani and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Pressly was not bad last night, but the Astros simply need to score more runs.

If the lead is 3-1 or even 4-1 then Alex just makes the play at first and the inning continues 3-2 or 4-2 but with 2 outs.

We are 1/3 of the way into the season now. A post season spot is still on the table but very close to the edge.

Dana and Joe need to have a meeting and discuss every position player on this roster. Grade them and agree on a plan.

Then rip off the bandaid and jettison those who simply aren't part of the solution and the present/future. Option them, trade them, DFA them.

The future is now. If a player is dragging the team down with little chance of regaining form, especially if not expected to be important in 2025, then move on.

The Beard likes this.
  12. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

I mean it seems that simple right? But they are not doing that. Either they don’t have the decision making ability to do it, or they don’t realize it. Either way it doesn’t inspire any confidence in them.

13. The Beard

The Beard Member

On the first part, maybe, maybe not. Since Abreu went down May 1 Jon has struck out 25 times and had 18 hits. Dubon has struck out 3 times and had 19 hits (in 30 fewer at bats). While Jon does have HR power that Dubon doesn't, in that same time period Dubon and Jon both have 5 extra base hits. So no, there is no guarantee it would "cure" anything, but you have a lot better chances when you play your better players

I know me and you differ on how we view Jon and that's fine. No need to rehash it all, i'm just not a fan of guys who strike out a ton even when they hit for a lot of power, when you K a lot and don't hit for power, i like them less

And Yes, the biggest issue is Abreu. It suck and it's sad cause there is no doubt we have some people in management, even if it doesn't include Espada and Dana, who know Abreu is killing us. The fact that they brought him back for this series is beyond frustrating. Usually fans get irrational when they don't like decisions but management has well thought out reasons for their decisions. Sorry Astros, but the fans are right on this one. As I said before he came back, if he was brought back and didn't play well, anyone on board with him coming back needed to be fired. He has been atrocious

Hell, if Dubon played 1B both game of this series and either Jon or Abreu was the DH, we likely would be at least 1-1 in the series. Cause hard hit bad hop or not, Dubon likely keeps that ball in front of him in game 1

Also while i'm on a Fkn rant

1. Bregman can suck all year and continue to be cleanup
    2. Abreu can suck on his demotion and come right back and play

But Chas gets off to a poor start (no worse than Bregman and not nearly as bad as Abreu) and gets relegated to the bench

Listen to me and listen to me closely please

FU*K JOE ESPADA, FK HIM

14. The Beard

The Beard Member

If what Nook says about players going to Dana and then to Crane about Espada is true

There is no chance this team gets it's act together

If that is truly going on, they need to rip the whole thing apart and start over (from the top down) cause we ain't winnin **** like that

roxallways, Stephen66, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Singleton walks 6 times as much as Dubon and sees a lot more pitches. Singleton also has far more power potential than Dubon. That isn’t necessarily good enough to warrant playing Singleton over Dubon, but they are different players and not necessarily clearly one better than the other (especially at 1B and depending on who is pitching),

Zen Tabak likes this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Don’t forget Jon’s run as a starter started on April 30. He had a HR, a walk, and 3 RBI that day. He also scored 2 runs.

The Beard likes this.
  17. Radricky

Radricky Member

Crazy that brown is saying this kind of stuff publicly.abreu is toast, there is too much pressure on him.

Stephen66, ryan_98, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  18. Screaming Fist

Even when you account for contact quality he's actually doing better than last year. Also, his xwOBA goes down when you filter by situations where runners on base so it's not a situation of the guy looking great but then falling apart the second someone gets on.

I think at least like 75% of it is bad luck. Unfortunate and makes me hate this fanbase at times seeing people on twitter wish all manners of misfortune on him last night.

19. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Maybe having him fail in an important series with the Mariners will be enough to finally get rid of him. I hope so.

20. raining threes

He's just saying what everybody's thinking out loud.

I mean they sent a better player down to make room for Abreu.

Houstunna and The Beard like this.