1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Yankees vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2022.

1. mightybosstone

And while I'm sure Nook has some insight into some of the inner-workings of the Astros organization and I'm sure analytics play a significant role in the decisions made in baseball games, I also think it's fairly unlikely that 100% of every lineup decision is made based solely on analytics.

I'm not exactly the thin-skinned one here, chief. I'm just talking baseball and strategy. You're the one who claims to be "so tired hearing about people b**** about lineups constantly." If you don't like the discussion, you don't have to read the posts, but nothing that was said about Hensley, Diaz, Manciini, etc. was inflammatory. You're the one who got defensive and insulting totally unprovoked.

I wasn't ruling out that the front office has a say in my previous post, only stating that I thought Dusty had the final say and analytics weren't the sole factor. Also, you're starting to get demeaning and insulting at this point, which I don't especially appreciate.

And yet Hensley is on the postseason roster despite being such a useless player and miserable prospect. If postseason performance was solely based on previous performance, historic production, a player's prospects, etc., then why is Harrison Bader dramatically outhitting Aaron Judge this postseason? Weird.

Does Mancini have a track record? Prior to a week ago, he and Hensley had the same number of at bats in the postseason. And Diaz's performance in the playoffs has been pretty awful. Regular season performance does not necessarily equate to postseason performance; we see that in sports all the time. I get the point you're making here, and I'm not completely diminishing it, but I think you're operating under the assumption that all the regular season production in the world somehow qualifies you to perform better in a small sample size like a single playoff series. It really doesn't.

And I were suggesting that the Astros swap out someone like Altuve for Hensley or even if I were saying "completely remove Mancini and Diaz from the options at DH moving forward," you'd have a point. I'm not. I'm literally just saying it's at least worth having the conversation of giving the kid a start at some point; or he's at least earned more at bats.

Marshall Bryant and IBTL like this.
  2. CinematicFusion

Diaz in left, yordan DH

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are willing to hope, instead going by the track record of what these hitters have done against certain pitchers or pitches?

So you have no problem if Dusty just goes by instincts?

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

1000% this post RE: jiggy.

mightybosstone likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My naive comment?

LOL.

Hensley will get some at bats and most of the team are not getting men over and not getting on base and in the last 3 at bats Hensley has done the same.

Yeah, it's b****ing.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

7. Marshall Bryant

Yes. You are satisfied?

8. count_dough-ku

EDIT: Ah, I see. Diaz is in LF today, not DH. I'm still surprised Dusty went with him over Mancini today.

YOLO likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Mancini has a track record of sucking snce he has been on the Asrtos and Diaz was the maybe the hottest hitter before he got injured.

Just because you don't believe the front office is not making out lineups does not make it so but if an organization was built and had great success doing this it would stand to reason they would be 100% all in sorry if that does not fit into your narrative.

I am not operating under any assumption except for the fact I think these decisions are based on data and data is one of the main reasons the Astros have had success.

I agree Hensley deserves to be discussed, my entire point is I know he is in the discussion and there is a reason other guys are starting over him.

If he started the rest of the series I would have no issues but I am not just going to put him in the lineup if the numbers say otherwise because he had some good at bats.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You need to put @ before my name to get my attention.:D

I have responded it was a reasonable post.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

and mancini has good numbers vs severino and short porch opportunity but i guess it is what it is.

Go stros. Take care of business tonight before the trip to NY

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. ImMikeV

ImMikeV Member

Pressly looked sharp last night. I think having 11/13 days off let his arm get some needed rest. Hopefully we see last night's Pressly through the remaining playoffs.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not as long as you continue to post in this thread.

Why are you interjecting yourself into this, are you needing attention?

14. Marshall Bryant

Pitching Framber game 2 makes more sense with the roof open. Being a ground ball pitcher leaves him less vulnerable to the wind aided errors you would get from a fly ball pitcher.

15. Marshall Bryant

I have made it well known I like Hensley. You have had your say, but you don't get to be the ONLY voice. If I have somehow stumbled onto pMail, then I apologize. I was under the impression this was a MESSAGE BOARD.

16. Stack24

Stack24 Member

I would be happy with constant blowout wins by the Astros where Presley can just hang out.

jiggyfly and Marshall Bryant like this.
  17. kubli9

kubli9 Member
    Supporting Member

Can't we all do ourselves a favor and universally put @jiggyfly on ignore?

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Missed the game. Is Altuve still cold?

19. Marshall Bryant

He did well in September as well. If there were better options who were producing at almost any level, he would not be considered. Just because He's an option doesn't mean he replaces anyone unless the situation is right. If he cannot be used, there is no reason to have him on the roster.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean as we all can see what you do prior to the postseason literally can mean absolutely nothing when everything resets come October baseball. The hottest hitter closing out the season is literally 0-19 and counting. and suddenly yuli is one of the top hitters

welcome to baseball

RunninRaven likes this.