1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Yankees vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2022.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

The real reason why Carlos went to the Twins. He was hoping to play the Yanks in the playoffs and be the GOAT!

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I asked the SpaceCityWX guys about the forecast in NY.

Tfor3, Marshall Bryant and YOLO like this.
  3. Yordan The Great

Bingo

This team didn't go 50-47 down the stretch for no good reason. They are literally the San Francisco Giants or the Chicago White Sox, take your pick.

4. Marshall Bryant

Of course.

Tfor3 and napalm06 like this.
  5. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I never said it was crazy and yes I still believe in the "supposed" numbers, whatever the hell that is supposed to be.

It's obvious you don't know what analytics are and the numbers that go into making these decisions, or that the team and lineups are constructed around those numbers.

In other words you are showing your ignorance especially since you think you have proven something, I bet you were one of those guys who wanted to bench Yuli.

What exactly do you think has been proven and why after this great win are you coming at me?

I have no issue with Hensley if play him at DH my entire point is this is not the time to just be panicking and trying **** willy-nilly if the numbers don't back you up.

Chill my guy and just enjoy the win.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Diaz better not be in the lineup tomorrow. He didn't earn a spot to play two games in a row. He damn sure didn't earn the chance to play 3 games in a row. Mancini or Hensley. Diaz had his opportunities thus far and both at home. It's onto the next and see what happens

8. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

When are people going to admit that this was, and is, a great team in a great organization?

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We are so far in their heads, who the **** cares if it was hit at 91 or 106 and why the **** would you know those numbers right after the game?

They really are a bunch of babies.

10. leroy

leroy Member

I'd at least start with Mancini because he has extensive Yankee stadium experience and he's hit reasonably well there. If he's flailing away and we need a hit, then PH with Hensley. Diaz just looks completely lost and, as you said, doesn't deserve to start again.

11. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I would like to see Mancini/Hensley at DH and also see what Vazquez can do in the playoffs. I'm almost tempted to say swap Altuve and Yuli but naw... we will ride with Altuve batting lead-off until the end. Hoping he finds some thunder in that stick.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Are they really saying someone touched the ball?

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

ready for Lance to spam some curves

14. Marshall Bryant

There are qualitative differences when players go into a slump. Some are working the count. They swing at strikes and don't swing at balls. Not perfectly, but as a rule of thumb. Some are hitting the ball hard, but right at people. This is best illustrated by Tucker at the start of last year. Exit Velos near the top, but at defenders. Then there are streaky veterans like Altuve.

Each has a rope of different lengths, but a rope none-the-less. This is why I am not worried about Altuve because he has ALWAYS been a streaky hitter. Brantley is the counter player and rarely stayed in a slump and was a model of consistency.

I'm glad to see Gurriel hitting the ball hard. He had used up all the rope I would have given him with 500 PA of poor results. But he's not just getting bloop hits, he is hitting the ball hard now.

This is why I don't like fixed line-up in the regular season. Bregman, even in a slump, was great at working the count and reaching base. Even without his power stroke, his OBP made him valuable near the top of the line-up. But at that time, he would not have been good between Alvarez and Tucker like he is now.

Mancini is not used to inconsistent playing time. And it has shown. But he has not had a history with the Astros which gives him a long leash/rope and neither has a post injury Diaz. Hensley has performed well in limited opportunities, but has not earned a long leash/rope. So DH is not a position with any player who has earned his spot. I do consider Alvarez to be our LF now and only a DH for rest and match-ups.

solid likes this.
  15. SuraGotMadHops

The roof is on fire!!

Tfor3 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

To be fair to the fans there on the reddit they thought it was lame their team was making this excuse.

Seems to be something the media and some of the players are pushing...and the manager lol, not sure the fan base will buy it because it's obvious that's a BIG reach...unless you believe that the Astros have some kind of air bender on their team or something.

Maybe we can get a video of someone in the dugout using hand motions to control the wind?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They almost got the runner I don't know if they could then throw back to 1st.

18. Marshall Bryant

This is a great organization for precisely the reason that it drives the ALL-IN gang nuts. Crane has built an organization for sustained success, not a brief window. This is why we lose fantastic players who are without a question great, but whose signing for large and LONG terms would hinder sustained success.

Incidentally, as much as I credit Luhnow with this organization's success, I believe the difficulty working with other GM's makes him extremely unlikely to return in a GM capacity.

Stephen66 likes this.
  19. juicystream

juicystream Member

No, blaming MLB for having the roof open

lnchan and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I'm generally try to be pretty even keeled and not get too worked up or rub things in but I make an exception for the Yankees.

I'm so sick of the fawning adulation they get by national media and the entitlement of their fans and talking heads. I couldn't stand that you had Yankees bohos like Jomboy getting national coverage over exposing the Astros' cheating while their team was cheating too.

I get so sick of going to any sporting event, it could be an NHL game between the Minnesota Wild and Vancouver Canucks and there is going to be some jerkwad wearing a Yankees jersey.

I hate stuff like this about Yankees' mystique.

Yes they have a great storied history, won 27 World Series and so on but they haven't been to the World Series in 13 years and as Gleeman noted without beating up on the hapless Twins during that period would be doing even worse.

Most of all I love that it is the ASTROS STANDING IN THEIR WAY!
    We are the crazy team in rainbow pinstripes that can't decide if our look is futuristic or retro stopping those storied dark blue pinstripes from what they see as their destiny.

We are Gandalf telling, them YOU SHALL NOT PASS!