1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officer to face second-degree murder charge in Lyoya killing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

The officer who shot and killed Patrick Lyoya during a traffic stop in Grand Rapids nine weeks ago will be charged with second-degree murder.

Kent County Prosecutor Chris Becker announced Thursday that his office had filed the charge against Officer Chris Schurr.

Becker said Schurr had turned himself in. Online records showed he was in the Calhoun County Jail. Arraignment was scheduled for Friday, though Becker didn’t know exactly what time.

Becker said he informed the Lyoya family in a phone call of his decision before holding a news conference Thursday afternoon at Michigan State Police Sixth District Headquarters in Walker to make the charge public. Becker said he told the Grand Rapids Police Department chief about it Wednesday.

Becker said a felony firearms charge, which refers to the use of a firearm during the commission of a felony and therefore usually accompanies a murder charge, is not viable in this case because Michigan law prevents it from being used in cases in which officers use deadly force.

Grand Rapids city leaders, including Mayor Rosalynn Bliss, City Manager Mark Washington, Oversight and Public Accountability Director Brandon Davis and GRPD Chief Eric Winstrom will hold a news conference at 5:30 p.m. to react to the prosecutor’s decision and discuss what will happen next at the city level.

The shooting happened April 4. Video released by GRPD shows that Officer Chris Schurr pulled Lyoya over, Lyoya ran away and there was a struggle that included Lyoya grabbing Schurr’s Taser. Schurr, who was on top of Lyoya trying to hold him down, shot Lyoya in the back of the head.

MSP investigated the shooting, which is standard protocol. Becker got the bulk of MSP’s investigation weeks ago but had to wait several more weeks to get additional forensic reports from the manufacturer of the officer’s body camera and Taser. On May 18, the prosecutor said he was seeking additional “expert guidance” on the case but didn’t explain exactly what guidance he needed.

During the news conference, Becker said he had consulted use of force experts.

Lyoya’s family retained famed civil rights attorney Ben Crump to represent them. Crump and Michigan-based attorney Ven Johnson say Schurr repeatedly failed to deescalate the situation and used excessive force. They called for him to be fired and charged.

The police officers’ union that represents Schurr previously said in a statement that it was confident “a thorough review of this entire situation will show that a police officer has the legal right to protect themselves and community in a volatile dangerous situation such as this, in order to return to his/her family at the end of their shift.”

Becker said the charges are not about “sending a message” of any sort about police use of force. He said it was made considering only the facts of this case. He said he tried to be thoughtful and consider input of experts before deciding what to do.

The MSP investigation was separate from an internal GRPD investigation. Chief Winstrom has said he would not make any decisions about Schurr’s employment until the state police investigation was finished. Schurr has been off the job on paid administrative leave.

Lyoya, 26, was a refugee from the Democratic Republic of the Congo who came to the U.S. several years ago. He had two children.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/prosecutor-decision-on-grpd-patrick-lyoya-shooting/amp/

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He executed him.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The guy was kind of wrestling with him, police have gotten away with much worse. Hopefully, we can start seeing some consistency in these rulings and that will hopefully lead to a change in the trigger happy culture.

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If you grab a cop's taser, you are going to die. Especially if you wrest it away from them.

The reason you are going to die is because there is a gun on the table in every single police encounter. If you incapacitate the police, the police will (as would most), assume their life is forfeit.

On the police's part, this is one of those instances where the slaying could have been prevented if 1) the officer was stronger and better trained in how to neutralize people physically or 2) he did not have a gun.

IMO, we need to both put better cops on the streets who can handle themselves without deadly force, and more cops should be unarmed (good luck with that I know).

I hope this doesn't become another hill that misguided activists choose to die on.

Edit: I rolled my eyes so hard when the bodycam suddenly "stopped working" during the most important part of the struggle I nearly sprained a muscle in my brain.

#4 DonnyMost, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If it goes to trial I’m gonna call it now he’s going to be found not guilty.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This seems like one of those cases where the issue is systemic issues with training. I don't think a homicide charge is justified here.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Does any other profession get such grace?

Rocket River

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I have a hard time feeling much sympathy for someone who chooses to get in a fight with a cop. Just don’t do that! You would think people would understand this by now.