1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oeilpere did post today.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Jan 16, 2002.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Just thougth I woudl point it out since that thread hasnt got very many replies to it:

Posted by Oeilpere:
    A. Rockets Needs - We need player mix. We need more scoring options. We need a heady, aggressive forward with a wide range of skills. We need to threaten outside more.

1. Rashard gives us most of these needs. He is heady (smart) and has good game focus although he has shown some games lapses (a la Robert Horry) at times this season.
    2. He has a plethora of scoring ability in his arsenal.
    3. I am not as impressed with his outside game as he apparently is, however, it does show he has worked to improve his overall skill level over the last year.

B. Ending Contracts, yes, but … - We will have some very limited cap space this summer. A sign and trade is much more advantageous to us. And everyone keeps bringing up ending contracts. Yes, we have ending contracts, but …..

1. Kevin Willis may be kept another year (in a one year deal).
    2. Kenny Thomas wants (maybe demands???) an indication whether he will be upped in 2003 or will he be traded. His high profile, low contract maintenance make him a prime trade commodity this year. His strong showing this season also gives him legitimacy to demand a new contract.
    3. Torres will be offered a decent three year contract this summer and he will accept. He loves the Houston organization.
    4. And they may have to resign Tierre Brown simply to replace Mooch (see below). Brown is a serviceable PG and has as much “excitement” potential as anyone could expect from a bench rook.

C. On The Bubble - As far as the Rocket roster players who are on the bubble …

1. Terrence Morris - RT sees him (and I am not saying this is realistic or not) as a defensive stopper (a la Shandon) but with a lot more offensive upside. But clearly he needs to either be moved as an “also named” trade filler or find his niche in the Rockets game in the few minutes he is given. In short, he needs to show as much promise as Oscar or Terrence will be sent packing.
    2. Mooch - Better stick Moochie on that list too. He is a tradable commodity, despite our “dribble” complaints teams would have high expectations of him as a serviceable PG. On the Rockets end, IMHO CD would not hesitate adding him in a multi-player deal and because most receiving teams know just exactly what they are getting in him, he would be an easily accepted as such.
    3. Cato – As much as we all, and that certainly includes me, ragged on his ass over the last several months, he has shown a greater desire this year than ever before and IMHO may have improved his overall league rep two-fold since last year. He is far more aggressive this year, and I mean not “stupid” aggressive (he’s not reaching in as much, he shouldering on the box-out and not hip-bump and grabbing) he looks a lot more comfortable, and he plays within our sysytem much more consistently he also looks happier. All of this is not lost on the scouts.
    4. Maurice Taylor – IMHO, unless something intriguing is in the offing, MoTay will be given his chance to shine in a Rocket uniform next season. But … and this is a big but … if a deal which included Rashard Lewis or McDyess or even Steve Smith were put together, … Maurice Taylor could solve many team puzzles … both CD and RT would include him in a heart beat. Especially if he gets in a week or two of games before the season ends and shows his moves with some strength and regularity.

Misconceptions and Advantages

1. I read a lot of what I call "obscene phone caller"-type comments from "gidee (heheheheh)with anticipation" posters and mainstream media describing Houston as being owed picks (that's plural) and an excellent opportunity for a lottery pick ( that's a single) this year. Well, we have obligations for several picks in the coming years with some stiff obligations this coming draft. Relax. Any picks we get will be used to satisfy obligations, or parlayed into a bone-crushing multi-team deal where CD will attempt to unload some chaff, pick up a key player and improve the roster. Note: we will not be harnessed by any key player contract squabbles this year. No hold outs or ransom demands. This will not be a repeat of last summer.

2. The absolute biggest advantage we have right now is that despite any moves that we make or not make ... we will ostensibly end the season in the same direction we have been heading. However, and this is the advantage ... some teams need to tweak and adjust their roster right now to make a favorable impression, a couple baby steps or a giant leap while heading into the playoff prelude. Our next season may very well rest on what moves are made within the next week or so. Essentially we have teams coming to us right now, but the ball and the advantrage are in our court.

On my wish list is:

1. Unload Mooch. Sorry, but we can right a wrong here and still be ahead of the trade game for next summer. There have been inquiries and he has been sought within the last month.

2. I doubt our ending contracts would be a primary target for any trades at this juncture of the year, but definitely if given the chance ... including Walt as a secondary "add-on" on any deal would make me very, very happy. Okay so I am a hedonist and enjoy fanciful self-pleasure. But it is as doable now as anytime previous thsi year.

3. Dear Rudy: - I am not advocationg tanking by any stretch of the imagination, but now is the time to start playing Terrence Morris more. Oscar more. Get Jason Collier in there. Hell, get long tall Sally Langhi some more minutes also. If we want to sell them or are waiting for them to show some stuff ... nows the time. I will take even money that the eventual outcome will be unchanged as far as wins and losses are concerned.

2. treeman

treeman Member

Thanks, OP (and thx R03 for reposting it).

I haven't seen much of Brown this so far this season, so I can't really comment on him. I really hate to part with Moochie (he has his faults, but he's still starter-quality on some teams), but if Brown is good enough...

Given Steve's injuries this season, though, I'd be really reluctant to part with Mooch. I's want to find out if Steve's migraines are persistent and chronic first... But then again, Brown is really an unknown quantity to me, so I dunno.

The mention of McDyess has me excited. Even though it's a severe long shot "what-if", even the mention has me excited... Do you really think it's a possibility?

I am not that impressed with TMo. He shows flashes, but... so did Lanky.

3. alaskansnowman

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

5. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

mcdyess for kato, thomas and mooch?

6. treeman

treeman Member

I'd do that.

7. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

lets get this baby done!

8. treeman

treeman Member

We are talking about a healthy McDyess, aren't we?

Why so eager to rid yourself of a career 17/8 (last season 20.8/12) guy???

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

Make Eddie your center and you have two explosive shotblocking, rebounding big men. Then add Rashard in the offseason

Only problem is we'd have no backup PG. Maybe you guys would get one for NVE to send us? Or throw in Avery Johnson or Satterfield, since it'd make no sense to have NVE, Avery, Moochie, and Satterfield.

Getting ahead of myself, but it's looking like tank city anyway.

Nugzfan-Raef had a monster game tonight.

10. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Member

Treeman, I believe Nugz is being sarcastic. Any time McDyess or LaFrentz come up, you guys suggest the same Cato+Langhi+Norris trade.

NIKE,

I'm the Raef basher, not Nugz. And I'll admit it, he sacked up tonight and played his butt off. My main knock on him is that he has Randy Moss disease, he doesn't give his all every game. It really gets tiring.

11. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

yup - wow he was on. too bad he could barely get the ball in the 4th. i believe 0 shots. the kings did a good job adjusting.

its also why i want to give dice to houston for kato, thomas and mooch. itslike 3 free players! maybe a 2nd rounder too?

you can have aj in the deal if you want.

12. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Member

He had 1 shot in the fourth.

13. treeman

treeman Member

I'd actually want him... AJ for Mooch? McDyess would make that a perfectly acceptable deal... (or, the other way around)

I'd definitely do it.

Now, is there some way we can get the Sonics involved?

14. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Cato, Moochie, K Thomas or Mo Taylor plus cap filler, plus our #1 for McDyess, LaFrentz and cap filler

15. treeman

treeman Member

Keep MoT and replace Raef with AJ. Fair deal all around, and both teams benefit...

Cato, Mooch, KT = McDyess, AJ

Anything that gets Cato traded and nabs us McDyess can't be bad!

16. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Member

Please tell me you guys aren't serious.

17. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

i kinda like those deals.

18. treeman

treeman Member

How is it really a bad deal for you guys, Nugz4?

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Nugzfan is a curry eating hata. He thinks McDyess is the second coming of Wilt Chamberlain and would not trade him for anthing short of Francis and Griffin.

20. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

I thought our number one would shut the nugs fans up considering our team has a worse record than theirs and would end up w/ a top 5 pick, but I guess not.