1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama's first presidential address to the nation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 9, 2009.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Once again, a fantastic example of projection coming from an avid W supporter.

2. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

Since the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Association of Manufacturers has strongly endorsed passing the stimulus package, we can guess what they must think of all but 3 Republicans in Congress.

I think you should stick to mind reading Mexican industrialists.

3. Major

Major Member

And the average person educated in basic communication and people skills knows that only a complete and total idiot would try to discuss finance details in a national address to a country where not all the people are experts in finance. It seems that you have below-average basic communication and people skills.

4. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Member

anybody have a video?

5. rjh2002

rjh2002 Member

A Great Communicator? Missed what the pundits saw.

I watched the whole thing as Lent is approaching & it’s time to prepare for that. Sacrifice & whatnot.

First thing that caught my attention - Bam’s head flips to the left and right, but never straight ahead, during his opening remarks. Looked like it was motor controlled. Real people don’t do that. I reckon that no teleprompter was facing the TV camera. This was distracting.

His answers were so long, that many times I couldn’t remember what the question was. How is THAT great communication?

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

It's a classic political technique -- filibuster so that the people don't have time to ask you more questions. He knew that 60 minutes was allocated to the event, so the more he spoke, the less defense he would have to play.

I'm just wondering how long he can keep up the 'fake righteousness angry tone' before people start to see through it. It's like he pretends he is MLK giving his most important speech on every response. I can't believe people buy it.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

He disrespectfully cut off Helen Thomas a couple of times. Classless. He knew she would give him a tough question and he wanted to avoid it.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

chickentexx, you know a lot about being classless. Hearing that word come from you gives a new meaning to hypocrisy.

9. Classic

Classic Member

If you can distract people enough with sports scandals and celebrity happenings, then you'll be able to fool people for quite some time. See post 9/11 to 2007. 'Financial crisis' will be this president's 'terrorist'.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

[​IMG]

Time for breakfast, jorgina.

:rolleyes:

11. BetterThanEver

Until the great depression happens again, then it will prove the republicans right. Naaahhh.. it ain't gonna happen.

12. surrender

surrender Member

This thread is awesome because I can't read half of it

Thank you ignore list

13. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

Noticed he rarely looked at the camera during his address, did a lot of looking side to side, but rarely made eye contact with the camera. I quickly lost interest. Maybe dude just had an off night.

14. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

you do realize people were starving and freezing at a VERY HIGH RATE then don't you?

You seriously think that is somehow possible? :rolleyes:

15. BetterThanEver

Reread it. I said "...it ain't gonna happen".

16. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

seriously, what the hell does this even mean? does this mean we shouldn't hold you accountable for the "solution" you've proposed? dude, you can't vote present on this one. if the problem was not of your making, the solution is, and you will own both if this thing is passed and signed.

17. mc mark

mc mark Member

As our new President said last night, after the agony of the last eight years Republicans (and especially W supporters) should STFU.

You had your turn and ****ed up everything. Now leave things to the adults.

18. Northside Storm

Obama is much worse of a speaker when there is nothing prepared. An optimist would say he is merely reflecting on certain things before saying them but I also think he isn't nearly as persuasive off the bat. This is especially poignant when he's speaking on impromptu stop-overs...look at his speech in Paris for example; Sarkozy the tyrant runs circles around him with his polished, Parisian French while Obama "uhs" all over the place.

That said, Republicans are clearly missing the boat if they're complaining about a president being unclear and confident lol, I still say he is leagues above Bush. If you think this is unworthy of a presidential address, what do you have to say about the eight years of r****dism that preempted it?

19. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

would that Bush could have preempted him last night.

i think you mean "preceded."

20. Northside Storm

uh...actually yeah, that would make more sense.

That said, the point still stands. You can't help but wonder at the way the tide has turned. Same thing for Liberals as well, but it's definitely more pronounced for Conservatives. I thought Bush appealed to the people with his constant screwing up of the English language? or something of that nature