1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama: Renewing US Leadership in the Americas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, May 27, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Member

Does this bother some of you as much as it does me? When will anyone get that our government's influence is never as positive as it seems? And why does Obama think that doubling the effort and funding of failed Bush leadership in Latin America will help?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/05/renewing_us_leadership_in_the.html

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

He has a great partnership vision between Israel and the U.S.,...maybe he not so bad after all.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its just a speech

4. weslinder

weslinder Member

That's how the Truman Doctrine started.

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

This speech sounds really...dated. It sounds like the 1960 Presidential campaign. I'm not sure if it sounds naive or if it just expects its audience to be.

I'm with you weslinder. This kind of bothers me.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I'm glad to see it. I went to Mexico City for some lectures for business school and more than one speaker mentioned their disappointment in the lack of engagement from the US. Countries are looking increasingly to Mexico and Brazil for a big brother. I think that's good, but the US has a role to fill as well.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Seems like Obama pays a lot of attention to the Council of Foreign Relations...

It reminds me of Bush's speeches. Very hopeful, optimistic, and flag waving...it pulls the right strings of American ideas of our dominance. I don't know how he'll execute it.

Heck, I like some of Bush's speeches. Just don't like what he actually does.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-brazil25-2008may25,0,2700914.story

South American union is created

From the Associated Press
    May 24, 2008
    BRASILIA, BRAZIL -- A South American union was born Friday as leaders of the region's 12 nations set out to create a continental parliament.

Some see the Union of South American Nations, or Unasur, as a regional version of the European Union. Summit host Brazil wants Unasur to help coordinate defense affairs across South America, and Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez calls it a counterweight to the United States.

Chavez said the U.S. is "trying to generate wars in South America" to "divide and conquer."

Brazil's president, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, invited other Latin American and Caribbean nations to join the venture.

"Unasur is born, open to all the region, born under the signs of diversity and pluralism," he said.

But leaders found their own reasons for division. Unasur's first secretary-general, Rodrigo Borja, resigned Thursday before the organization formally met. He complained that some leaders had balked at his vision of putting other regional trade blocs, including Mercosur and the Andean Community, under Unasur.

Leaders were also split over plans for a regional defense council that would resolve conflicts, promote military cooperation and possibly coordinate joint weapons production.

Colombia is the only nation that opposes joining such a council, saying "the terrorist threat" it faces at home, amid 40 years of civil conflict, precludes military cooperation. But, a government statement said, "Colombia does not oppose the creation of a working group to study the theme."

At the summit Friday, Lula urged wealthier nations to cut farm subsidies and import tariffs, and he defended biofuels, including ethanol, which critics blame for rising food prices.

"We should not be fooled one bit by the arguments of those who, for protectionist or geopolitical motives, feel uncomfortable with our industry, our agriculture and with the realization of our energy potential," Lula told the leaders.

Unasur could ease political tensions, promoting development on a continent where intra-regional trade in 2006 topped $72 billion, experts say.

South America's economy is expected to grow by 4.7% this year, according to the United Nations' Economic Commission on Latin America.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

I think that the US needs to enhance it's image in the Americas, too. In the recent void of involvement, Hugo Chavez has appeared as a Bolivar-esque hero to many South Americans and some presidents, such as Bolivia's Evo Morales, have been elected on a Chavez platform and have developed strong ties with Venezuela. Also, Brazil, Argentina, and Chile are emerging powers that we need to have strong relationships with. Heck, if we can have "hand-holding" relationships with countries half a world away, we can develop some within our own hemisphere.

10. weslinder

weslinder Member

Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations--entangling alliances with none, I deem the essential principles of our government, and consequently those which ought to shape its administration. -- Some guy I think might have known a little about the Presidency and foreign policy, and the Democrats claim as the founder of their party

We were the clear leader of the Western Hemisphere when we had the most freedom (real freedom, not FDR's Last Two Utopian pseudo-Freedoms) and led by example. Obama's promise to strong-arm other nations into equality will be disastrous. It is Bush Doctrine on steroids. Our "hand-holding relationships half a world away" have propped up dictators, allowed civil liberties to be destroyed, wreaked havoc on real equality, and destroyed self-sufficiency and sovereignty. We need to look at how to get out of them, instead of creating new ones.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

He said this in the context of his belief that the US should be an agrarian democracy of citizen-soldier-farmers. That just doesn't work today.

12. weslinder

weslinder Member

The Swiss beg to differ.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

if we can reinvent the US economy to consist of a few rich people selling knives, insurance, and banking "secrecy"/money laundering I'm all for it, otherwise i just don't think its sustainable.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

"Renewing leadership in Latin America" doesn't start with ripping up NAFTA. Nor does it start with protectionist trade policies....

Obama is just in over his head.

15. weslinder

weslinder Member

Do you really think that we benefit as a nation from embargoes on nations that disagree with us politically, sponsoring coups on governments that won't deal with corporations based here, oppressive tariffs on goods manufactured in societies where we disagree with worker wages, foreign aid to prop up dictators, and subsidizing agriculture to the point of destroying competition around the world? If you do, you listened to the wrong people when you were at University of Chicago.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

No but I don't think a completely swiss-style approach is the best either. I hate ag subsidies and am saddened that none of the candidates will touch that sacred cow. Equally worse is the protectionism built in against Brazilian sugarcane - If we're going ot have ethanol, sugarcane is the way to do it.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the guy wants other countries to adhere to the same environmental standards and employee safety standards as us companies. yeah that's ripping up nafta

18. weslinder

weslinder Member

Then let's just move a few steps in that direction and see how we like it.

19. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Well, it's ripping up the part of NAFTA that makes bajillions for US companies that don't want to adhere to even a modicum of regulated integrity.