1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYC Bans Food Donations To Homeless (Gov. Needs Salt, Fat and Fiber Content)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hightop

Hightop Member

Coming to a health-policed town near you!

Bloomberg Strikes Again: NYC Bans Food Donations To The Homeless

March 19, 2012 8:33 PM

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03...gain-nyc-bans-food-donations-to-the-homeless/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s food police have struck again!

Outlawed are food donations to homeless shelters because the city can’t assess their salt, fat and fiber content, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

Glenn Richter arrived at a West Side synagogue on Monday to collect surplus bagels — fresh nutritious bagels — to donate to the poor. However, under a new edict from Bloomberg’s food police he can no longer donate the food to city homeless shelters.

It’s the “no bagels for you” edict.

“I can’t give you something that’s a supplement to the food you already have? Sorry that’s wrong,” Richter said.

Richter has been collecting food from places like the Ohav Zedek synagogue and bringing it to homeless shelters for more than 20 years, but recently his donation, including a “cholent” or carrot stew, was turned away because the Bloomberg administration wants to monitor the salt, fat and fiber eaten by the homeless.

Richter said he was stunned. He said his family has eaten the same food forever and flourished.

“My father lived to 97; my grandfather lived to 97, and they all enjoyed it and somehow we’re being told that this is no good and I think there is a degree of management that becomes micromanagement and when you cross that line simply what you’re doing is wrong,” Richter said.

But Mayor Bloomberg, a salt-aholic himself, was unapologetic.

“For the things that we run because of all sorts of safety reasons, we just have a policy it is my understanding of not taking donations,” Bloomberg said.

Told that his administration recently enacted the policy, the mayor was Grinch-like.

“If they did in the past they shouldn’t have done it and we shouldn’t have accepted it,” Bloomberg said.

Richter said that over the years he’s delivered more than two tons of food to the homeless. He said Mayor Bloomberg is eating away at his ability to do good.

The ban on food donations was made by an inter-agency task force that includes the departments of Health and Homeless Services.

2. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

unbelievable

I was just telling my Dad how an education doesn't solve all the world's problems.

3. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Just out of curiosity, why are you a Ron Paul supporter if you're so indignant when local governments do their thing? Paul may not agree with Bloomberg here, but he's also a staunch defender municipal and state governments' rights to run themselves however they see fit. You seem to be more in favor of tearing down the entire establishment altogether at all levels.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I clicked the link, because I was having a hard time believing that this was not an Onion article. Triple checking the date...

Nope, not April 1st. Dementia must have set in for Bloomberg.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Yes, let's give homeless people unhealthy food so they can get sick, then go to the hospital on your dime! You'd like that, wouldn't you? Paying for the medical bills induced by unhealthy homeless people?

That said... testing bagels for salt content? Bagels?

6. RocketRaccoon

Sorry, can't buy that bs.

Obvious you like this law because it makes you feel good about yourself. But ask a homeless person whether he'll eat a can of ravioli or starve until something more healthy comes along?

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think most homeless people would kill for Ramen right now, regardless of its content.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yes, hungry people will eat out of the garbage can at McDonald.

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

...I would kill for Ramen right now.

...do you have ramen?

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Actually I'm out :( I have 1 pack of Easy Mac left though.

11. Northside Storm

I would only slightly maim you for that Easy Mac. :)

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Ramens are treats that you let yourself enjoy once in a while. :grin:

13. Northside Storm

Or a nutritional group that composes 70% of your diet.

life of a college student

...DON'T JUDGE ME. :(

14. Major

Major Member

The real question is to ask is whether the food pantries in NYC have enough food. If they do, they might as well aim to improve the quality. If they don't, then they should take what they can get.

Surprisingly, lack of food is not always a problem for food shelters/pantries. More commonly, the problem is getting people off the streets and into the places that have food.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0eipl17WpOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The homeless should eat healthy, too.

17. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

You're right.

I was just being argumentative for argument's sake. It is stupid by Bloomberg.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

HIghtop, a good exercise for you and other libertarians and conservatives would be to list all the stupid wasteful things that private corporations do.

It is always amazing to see the naive trust that you all have about private business.

PS I realize that you might have to go read some different other types of blogs or listen to other programs on the radio/tv.

19. RocketRaccoon

why in the hell would anybody want to debate you when your last parting line is an insult? and you talk about us. sheeeesh.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Pretty sure starvation will kill a man quicker than eating a can of soup that has 40% DV of sodium.

Furthermore, they're homeless, why do we care?