1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Number of T-Mac's Clutch Plays So Far This Season...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Dec 16, 2004.

1. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

6 out of 16 games he played! Or 5 out of 8 Rockets wins he played. Pretty impressive for a guy who was always knocked by fans/media as non-clutch.

Dec 9 vs Spurs, 13 points in 33 seconds, most amazing comeback in NBA history!
    Dec 4 vs Philly, hit the game winner
    Dec 2 vs Dallas, got the offensive board and fouled, resulting in the game-tying FT in regulation (missed winner FT though)
    Nov 21 vs Portland, hit the game winner
    Nov 19 vs Clippers, hit the game-tying FT in regulation, also scored 5 points in OT for the win
    Nov 5 vs Mephis, scored Rockets last 7 points in regulation for the win

#1 lancet, Dec 16, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  2. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

I dont see how making a free throw (even late in the game) can be considered "clutch". Besides as you said he missed the second one. I agree with the other ones.

Hopefully he will have many more "clutch" moments throughtout his career here in houston (especially in the playoffs). :D

3. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

It wasn't really a "free" throw by any means. It was result of an aggressive play when he got the offensive board and was fouled. So you can call the previous offensive board and being fouled as the "clutch" play, I guess. :)

4. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Pls remove the game vs. dallas, otherwise I agreed with u whole-heartedly. T-mac is super clutch with us this year.

People keep saying kobe is the most cluth player in the league but stats from 82games.com showed otherwise: "Super Clutch" NBA Players (last year stats). Many players made clutch plays without their names being mentioned.

I think it has more to do with the exposure. 1)Lakers is the latest dynasty 2)Kobe play in LA 3)kobe's almost the only one to take last shot of lakers(as shaq cant hit FT) 4)Kobe also has hit few clutch shots late in the playoffs, the stage where players like Pierce and t-mac that never reached. I think all these factors helped Kobe's exposure and gave fans an impression that he is the most clutch player. However it may very well be a wrong impression.

One more point, I have seen more miss shots and turnovers than clutch shots (actually none) from kobe this year. I think it has to do with no one share his burden now. Kobe could coast 3 qtr of the game and the game was still close with shaq in the game, the privilege that T-mac never had. Kobe would have more engergy than any other players to expode at last few mins. Now u can only see the bricks and TO from kobe at the end of game.

5. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

I think alot of Kobe's clutch plays have come in the playoffs. As much as i dislike him (and i really do) its hard to argue that Kobe is not one of the top 3 or 4 most clutch players in the league right now (I put reggie miller at the top of that list).