1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nuglove]Faried To Workout With Olajuwon

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Aug 2, 2012.

1. verse

verse Member

Addendum...

Is revolutionized the correct term when it has never since been replicated? How about re-invented? Duncan used binoculars whilst every else wore contacts. Hakeem was the NBA Hubble telescope into post play.

#61 verse, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  2. Zboy

Zboy Member

Not true. Duncan was neutralized by the the Wallaces of Detroit, an aging Karl Malone of the Lakers, and Pau Gasol of the Lakers. When Shaq switched on Duncan, he struggled as well. This is on one-on-one matchup, btw, not double teams.

The defenders above had scouted Duncan and used their length and size to take him out of his game. His lack of athleticism hurt him in those matchups. What made Hakeem unique was his combination of fundamentals, athleticism, and creativity.

I have always considered Duncan a consistent scorer, not a dominating one.

#62 Zboy, Aug 5, 2012
  3. verse

verse Member

Tim was never neutralized by both Wallaces. Only Rasheed gave him problems, as he had incredible length and bball knowledge (ironic since he had no impulsive control). Sheed was Tim's kryptonite. Big Ben got abused by Duncan....REGULARLY.

As for Malone, I think your recollection is failing you. Understandable since it has been awhile, but Duncan was such a beast vs Utah that they won like 15+ games consecutively against them. I'm a former bookie and gambler. I won consistently on SA v Utah based on one fact...Malone could not handle Duncan one on one. Duncan exposed Karls predeliction to swiping at the ball.

As for Gasol, you are correct for the same reasons as Sheed. Extreme length bothered Duncan...and is one more reason I think Dream would have undressed Tim D, as well.

Aside...extreme size bothered Dream in his early career. Eaton was a problem til Dream accepted that what worked against everyone else would NOT work against Eaton. He swallowed his pride and started utilizing his speed which eventually swallowed the Big Mormon.

#63 verse, Aug 5, 2012
  4. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I think Donatas would really benefit from working with Hakeem. He is a 7 footer and has good foot work, agility and quickness to really improve on his post play.

5. verse

verse Member

Quick note...his legs are too close together in the post...ala Webber. He needs better spacing and balance to exert more power. The lower his hips get, the more he can gain separation. Considering he doesn't have exceptional quickness, this might be crucial to his development.

#65 verse, Aug 5, 2012